2017 Ford Raptor details emerge

p nut

butter
"....on the road it rides like Lexus, and handles like a BMW. "

Just lost all credibility after reading that.
_
But that new motor seems amazing. 434ft/lb, which matches the '14 Raptor's peak tq, coming in at ~2200 rpm, and its own peak tq at 3,500 (vs 4,500rpm in '14). And with the weight reduction, that's gotta feel like a rocketship.
_
Cool truck for sure. But the payload still gets me. Last long trip, I had 6 people in the truck (~760lbs) and was towing a 5k lb trailer (500lb tongue weight). Without even any cargo, that would've been over GVWR already in a Raptor. It would work for a couple of people, with an RTT, packing light, but it wouldn't work for me.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Like Big50 said, if you plan to carry a load, then factor in a spring upgrade with your purchase.

At max load, I'll have a 600lb tongue weight, two people, a drawer unit in the back, a bed rack, RTT, spare fuel and water, gear, etc. That's probably on the limit, so a set of deavers is on my list, though I'll wait until I can weigh everything beforehand.

Second option would be air bags, and that might be the better choice.

The extended bump stops that I mentioned earlier are problematic in that you can't really adjust them in the field and you have to jack up the rear end to remove them.

p nut

butter
We've discussed payload quite a bit here recently. Adding airbags or springs does not affect GVWR.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Aware of that of course. I'm not advocating going over the truck's limits - for me, I'm just talking about tuning the suspension for better performance when I'm at the higher end of the load limit.

From a legal standpoint, it's up to the owner to decide whether they want to exceed the rating. From a practical standpoint, however - on the Raptor you've got the strongest frame, suspension, axles, drivetrain, shock mounts, etc. across the entire lineup, so the only thing standing between you and a heavier load is spring rate and tires.

Again, nothing will change the sticker on the door, but if you chose to ignore that, you could turn the truck into a mini super duty if you wanted. In the process, you'd lose a lot of the qualities that you bought the truck for of course, so it would be a questionable exercise. But if you're tuning the truck to regularly carry an extra 500lbs or so, it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Aware of that of course. I'm not advocating going over the truck's limits - for me, I'm just talking about tuning the suspension for better performance when I'm at the higher end of the load limit.

From a legal standpoint, it's up to the owner to decide whether they want to exceed the rating. From a practical standpoint, however - on the Raptor you've got the strongest frame, suspension, axles, drivetrain, shock mounts, etc. across the entire lineup, so the only thing standing between you and a heavier load is spring rate and tires.

Again, nothing will change the sticker on the door, but if you chose to ignore that, you could turn the truck into a mini super duty if you wanted. In the process, you'd lose a lot of the qualities that you bought the truck for of course, so it would be a questionable exercise. But if you're tuning the truck to regularly carry an extra 500lbs or so, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd think a good set of beefed up Alcan or Deaver leafs would help, of course, you'd lose some travel, I suspect?

OCD Overland

Explorer
I don't know if you'd lose travel so much as just make the ride much harsher without a load in the back. It would probably ride like a standard F150, too soft front end and too harsh rear, lol. FWIW, I didn't really like the ride of the regular F150 I test drove, but the older Raptor they had on the lot felt really nice - much better balanced front to rear. I'd say the same about the super duties = harsher ride, more truck like, but better balanced feeling than the F150.

Well, big50 rig and adventures inspired me, I bought a 13 raptor...should be some serious fun

Enjoy!

OCD Overland

Explorer
Good question. If so, I wonder if Fox would help with the right setup for a heavier spring.

I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a set of adjustables.

Big50

Adventurer
Well, big50 rig and adventures inspired me, I bought a 13 raptor...should be some serious fun

Thanks and I believe you're going to love it.

I think you hit it right on the head. Unfortunately, it won't change the rating but the trucks are overbuilt and the only thing keeping you from increasing your payload is a good set of rear springs. I have the Icon RXT springs with the extra heavy load leaf in it. Absolutely love them. Way smoother ride than stock and the deavers +3 I previously had. For reference, I'm over the payload rating in the video below. I do have upgraded 3.0 shocks but they new Raptor comes with 3.0's now. I have spares (230ish lbs), 150lbs in tools, 50lb jack, another 100lbs of gear in the truck, cooler weighs at least 50lbs, and at least 800 lbs across 3 men. So around 1300lbs. I'm sure it's above that with other miscellaneous stuff. My truck is the white one. The black one while not performing as well does fine considering how ruff the terrain is. They are running a deaver +2. A +3 would have been better given how much gear they were carrying.

I'd think a good set of beefed up Alcan or Deaver leafs would help, of course, you'd lose some travel, I suspect?

If anything it would increase it.

I don't know if you'd lose travel so much as just make the ride much harsher without a load in the back. It would probably ride like a standard F150, too soft front end and too harsh rear, lol. FWIW, I didn't really like the ride of the regular F150 I test drove, but the older Raptor they had on the lot felt really nice - much better balanced front to rear. I'd say the same about the super duties = harsher ride, more truck like, but better balanced feeling than the F150.

Enjoy!

It would actually improve it. The progressive nature of the spring improves the ride in all conditions. The stock springs are soft and a linear spring. Your rear end will just sit higher when unloaded with the heavier duty progressive springs.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm eager to learn what sort of winch will fit the new Raptor since they put the intercooler right there. Ford says it can happen, but it doesn't look like nearly enough space.

Thanks for the tip on the Icons. I'll have to keep them in mind when it comes time to upgrade.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz