Gauging interest on new tailgate cover

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
EDIT - This is happening now. Pm me for details if you want to get in on this- ending soon!

Hey all. Looks like this has turned into a group buy thread for a tailgate cover to replace that nasty old carpet. I'm open to material choices, but my go-to would be to use the Richlite material I use for the cutting boards in my systems now. It's much better looking and way more rigid than HDPE. It's washable and sandable if it starts to get too beat up. Here's a shot that shows the material. What say you, Expo members?

EDIT- Let's shoot for a retail of $200 plus shipping, including hardware. For those interested, PM me (or state in thread) with your verbal commitment to purchase IF you like the final product and it's price- I won't hold you to it if it doesn't turn out like you envisioned. If we get enough guys interested (let's say 20) I'll make a prototype and take photos for you to approve. Then we'll do the group buy.

Add any requests/opinions in the thread such as material, attachment, embellishments, etc.

EDIT- 2-16-17: Ok, we're getting things narrowed down. We're looking a $200 for LINE-X coated Baltic Birch in black, tan, or gray, other colors will be a $35 upcharge. $240 will get you a Richlite surface. We'd need 6 buyers per color. Color is up to you guys, but I'd recommend looking at the R50 (what I use now for my cutting boards), Slate, or Black Diamond. More info can be found at their website here:
heritage - Richlite
and
northwest - Richlite

Edit- Gatorstep is off the table pending more interest. For now we will have snap-on padded covers. They will work with both materials. They will add 1/2"-3/8" thickness.

All of these options will be direct bolt-on. Please PM me or add to thread with your material preference and first and second color choice. Also, embellishments such as drip grooves, cupholder recesses, etc., can all be done, but again we need a consensus. Please indicate what you preference would be and whether you'd be ok with just a flat surface (my preference for ease of cleaning).

These prices can go down if we get a large number of buyers for one of the options. I'll do everything I can to get you guys the best price.

COLORS: Below are some photos that show LINE-X in tan, gray and black, as well as Richlite in Grays Harbor, Slate, Black Diamond, and R50. The Slate and Black Diamond look absolutely identical. They are a very dark gray/black. The Grays Harbor is a touch lighter but seems to have a tiny more warmth to it. I personally would do R50 or Black with a tan or gray interior.

See this thread for a full discussion:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gauging-interest-in-a-new-tailgate-cover.938360/

Tailgate cover 1.jpg
Tailgate cover 2.jpg
DSC04621.jpg
IMG_8571.JPG
IMG_8694.JPG

Last edited:

BJTLC100

Are you thinking for a complete tail gate replacement piece where the carpet is currently? Will it be hinged to open it up for more storage similar to Wagon Gear's? If so, then yes, I would have some interest depending on price!

ethernectar

Adventurer
What series? If you come up with an option for replacing the carpet panels that open up on the 200 series I'd be interested, but not at $200 ;)

TrekboxX

Are you thinking for a complete tail gate replacement piece where the carpet is currently? Will it be hinged to open it up for more storage similar to Wagon Gear's? If so, then yes, I would have some interest depending on price!
Yes, it will be a complete replacement. No, it will not hinge open. That requires going to town on the tailgate structure, and frankly if you want to go that route Wagon Gear has what you need.

TrekboxX

What series? If you come up with an option for replacing the carpet panels that open up on the 200 series I'd be interested, but not at $200 ;)
Sorry- right now 100 series. I'm not familiar with the 200 tailgate, but since the material alone for the 100 series is around $100 not including prototyping, machining, and hardware, I probably won't have what you need.

Last edited:

Conundrum

Observer
Yes, it will be a complete replacement. No, it will not hinge open. That requires going to town on the tailgate structure, and frankly if you want to go that route Wagon Gear has what you need.

Actually, Wagongear doesn't have what we need. I've been watching his site for 2 years waiting for him to build more 80 tailgates and haven't seen one. I'm sure I've missed a couple but if he doesn't reliably have stock to sell, is he a parts vendor or a hobbyist with a small side business you may or may not be able to buy something from?

If another company made one of similar quality and price, I would buy it today and I'm sure others would too. No offense to the guy...it seems like he is living his life the way he wants to and builds when he wants to and that's cool. He says don't email him and he won't take a pre-order list so I'm ready to move on to someone who can deliver the product. I don't mind waiting but but with Wagon Gear, it's a crap shoot if you happen to log in in time to see one in stock. I've been looking for one for two years. I could piece something together but for his quality and aesthetics, I would rather buy and would even pay more than his is asking.

Last edited:

TrekboxX

Actually, Wagongear doesn't have what we need. I've been watching his site for 2 years waiting for him to build more 80 tailgates and haven't seen one. I'm sure I've missed a couple but if he doesn't reliably have stock to sell, is he a parts vendor or a hobbyist with a small side business you may or may not be able to buy something from?

If another company made one of similar quality and price, I would buy it today and I'm sure others would too. No offense to the guy...it seems like he is living his life the way he wants to and builds when he wants to and that's cool. He says don't email him and he won't take a pre-order list so I'm ready to move on to someone who can deliver the product. I don't mind waiting but but with Wagon Gear, it's a crap shoot if you happen to log in in time to see one in stock. I've been looking for one for two years. I could piece something together but for his quality and aesthetics, I would rather buy and would even pay more than his is asking.

Wow. Sorry, I was unaware of that situation. I never paid too much attention because it was never a product I was interested in. Frankly, I don't think it would be too hard to make a similar product, once I was patterning an 80 for a drawer system anyways. I have a very good metal fabricator who would do a great job making them I'm sure. Let me look into it!

Upland80

Adventurer

Check the one being prototyped in this thread. http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-80-this-weekend.586191/page-1086

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
So, can you post up some pictures and details? I saw the on pic over on mud, but it was short on details. Looks like a super handy storage addition, but want more info and of course, pricing.

TrekboxX

So, can you post up some pictures and details? I saw the on pic over on mud, but it was short on details. Looks like a super handy storage addition, but want more info and of course, pricing.

Any update?

I think you're asking about the storage solution in the link above. If that's correct, that's not what this thread is about. I was just gauging interest in a flat tailgate cover to replace the stock carpet. It would not have doors, storage, etc. But it seems like there's little interest, so I think it's a no-go. You might want to inquire with whomever is making the equipment linked in that thread. It looks like a great product so far. I was speaking of a simpler (and cheaper) solution.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I think you're asking about the storage solution in the link above. If that's correct, that's not what this thread is about. I was just gauging interest in a flat tailgate cover to replace the stock carpet. It would not have doors, storage, etc. But it seems like there's little interest, so I think it's a no-go. You might want to inquire with whomever is making the equipment linked in that thread. It looks like a great product so far. I was speaking of a simpler (and cheaper) solution.

Gotcha. I've been kicking around the idea of doing that, using a bamboo slab and making it into an all in one cutting board and tailgate cover....but no time so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94