Spare tire mounted storage options

(none)

Adventurer
I have a 2dr jk, so obviously not much interior storage. I'm looking for some options for bringing more crap. Not a fan of the roof racks, I won't be able to fit in the garage with it on, extra wind resistance and noise to an already aerodynamic and noisy vehicle. I have a hitch mounted carrier, but even with it modified to tilt down, I can't open the rear gate with anything on the carrier. I have a teraflex hinge/carrier, so I am looking to find some storage which will mount to the spare tire.

A few companies make trail racks which mount above the spare tire, blocking all of the vision looking back. No good. Surco and Olympic make these racks with seem promising. I'm not planning to put much weight on them, just light stuff light, bulky items like camp chairs, tent, etc. Any experience? Suggestions?

I'm leaning towards the Olympic as it's welded steel, the Suco is bolted together aluminum I believe. I'd like to do something custom, if I could make/ find a good adapter for the spare tire carrier.

SPSJ4319_2012~Jeep~Wrangler_3_1000.jpg

madmax718

Explorer
They have hitch racks that swing away as well. Blocked vision can be made up with a camera. Trasharoo to the spare tire. Dump your tent/camp chairs into the bag, cinch tight with a bungee. Low tech, cost effective.

(none)

Adventurer
They have hitch racks that swing away as well. Blocked vision can be made up with a camera. Trasharoo to the spare tire. Dump your tent/camp chairs into the bag, cinch tight with a bungee. Low tech, cost effective.

You know... at first i was gong to call no way. But, the more i look at it, the more i kinda like the idea. Almost like a Jeep backpack...

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the olympic version you show on your picture. I also have the trasharoo. The trasharoo is better. More versatile and you can carry more + less sticking off the back.

(none)

Adventurer
I have the olympic version you show on your picture. I also have the trasharoo. The trasharoo is better. More versatile and you can carry more + less sticking off the back.

What is your opinion of the quality of the Olympic rack? Do you have the 19" wide or 41" wide version? How long ago did you purchase it?

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the 41". I have had it since 2006. Quality is good/have had no issues. No cracks, good welds, etc. Powder coat is still even in good shape/no rust. When I bought it I got it for my Liberty, since getting the trasharoo I actually strap it to the top of the tire using a bike rack. The only complaint I have is the mount that comes from the tire carrier through the center of the tire sticks out a little bit, so when the rack is removed it is easy to run into when you walk around the back if you are not paying attention. I would have no issue buying it again, however I have found the trasharoo to be the better option for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94