NPR 4wd conversion and camper build thread.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I finished coating the cab and doors this weekend. Monstaliner on the outside, hytech ceramic inside the doors plus inside and under the cab. Time to start hanging parts back on it.

Also I started buying up all the parts to swap over to a an NV4500 manual transmission. No more computer controlled transmission! I have all the parts except the actual transmission. Even what seems to be the only manual transmission shifter and cables for an NPR in the country. Once I have the cab all back together I will be starting that project.

As part of the cab refresh I'll be replacing the stock Isuzu gauge pod with a Holley universal digital dash. These units will accept pretty much any gauge input, data log and are fully configurable with choice of visible gauges, warnings etc.... Hard to beat for the money and it vastly simplifies the wiring.

118002525_2948298981946643_4461895004016142135_n.jpg

118108541_2948299041946637_5024305300911976310_n.jpg
digitaldash.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
I will be interested to see how the cable shifted NV4500 works out.

MasterShift, or something along that line, used to make remote cable shifting mechanisms for manual transmissions and transfer cases, but the company is no longer in business. There are some universal conversion kits available to make an H pattern into a bump shift or sequential shift, but I do not have any personal experience using them, though I like the idea.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I will be interested to see how the cable shifted NV4500 works out.

MasterShift, or something along that line, used to make remote cable shifting mechanisms for manual transmissions and transfer cases, but the company is no longer in business. There are some universal conversion kits available to make an H pattern into a bump shift or sequential shift, but I do not have any personal experience using them, though I like the idea.
Me too. I'm pretty confident it will work, just not sure how "nicely" it will shift just yet. I almost bought a cabover cable shifter from cablecraft but decided on the stock unit since it bolts right in and I was able to find one. Cablecraft used to make an XY box for various transmissions but they no longer do. My plan is to fabricate a basic linkage for two cables to shift the stub of the stick on the transmission. If not I've been inside of a number of cable shift transmissions and I could fabricate a rail mechanism to replace the stock NV4500 shifter. Overhead clearance above the transmission is my main concern.

glennm01

The Monstaliner turned out great. Congrats -- I know from personal experience how much work it is to do this well... Is that color "Desert Sand?" Rolled or sprayed?

javajoe79

Fabricator
The Monstaliner turned out great. Congrats -- I know from personal experience how much work it is to do this well... Is that color "Desert Sand?" Rolled or sprayed?
Yeah I think it’s a great product. I went with the color called dirtbag. Rolled on.

C p weinberger

I finished coating the cab and doors this weekend. Monstaliner on the outside, hytech ceramic inside the doors plus inside and under the cab. Time to start hanging parts back on it.

Also I started buying up all the parts to swap over to a an NV4500 manual transmission. No more computer controlled transmission! I have all the parts except the actual transmission. Even what seems to be the only manual transmission shifter and cables for an NPR in the country. Once I have the cab all back together I will be starting that project.

As part of the cab refresh I'll be replacing the stock Isuzu gauge pod with a Holley universal digital dash. These units will accept pretty much any gauge input, data log and are fully configurable with choice of visible gauges, warnings etc.... Hard to beat for the money and it vastly simplifies the wiring.

118002525_2948298981946643_4461895004016142135_n.jpg

118108541_2948299041946637_5024305300911976310_n.jpg
digitaldash.jpg
Java..
Several years ago I looked into placing a 5.9 Cummins into a NPR with NV manual transmission. The big roadblock was Indeed to shift from the top rather than the stock side shift. I was able to locate a stock manual NPR transmission and shifter cables But I never bought them as I Didn’t feel up to tackling the shifter challenge. If I went that route I decided to just go with the 6BG1T NRR with a manual transmission, keep stock, and add a divorced transfer case.
I found the manual transmission and shifter cables by Calling one of the guys who makes the Transmission adapters that join the NPR 4BD1T to cruiser trannies. they of course don’t need the transmission or the cables. I asked him why they were so hard to get and he said all parts for those types of trucks, especially any manual transmission parts, are Typically exported as there is high demand overseas.
Good luck, ?, I hope it works out for you, after looking at your build sheet I feel you have a much more likely positive outcome than if I would’ve tried.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Java..
Several years ago I looked into placing a 5.9 Cummins into a NPR with NV manual transmission. The big roadblock was Indeed to shift from the top rather than the stock side shift. I was able to locate a stock manual NPR transmission and shifter cables But I never bought them as I Didn’t feel up to tackling the shifter challenge. If I went that route I decided to just go with the 6BG1T NRR with a manual transmission, keep stock, and add a divorced transfer case.
I found the manual transmission and shifter cables by Calling one of the guys who makes the Transmission adapters that join the NPR 4BD1T to cruiser trannies. they of course don’t need the transmission or the cables. I asked him why they were so hard to get and he said all parts for those types of trucks, especially any manual transmission parts, are Typically exported as there is high demand overseas.
Good luck, ?, I hope it works out for you, after looking at your build sheet I feel you have a much more likely positive outcome than if I would’ve tried.
I have a decent amount of room above where the shifter will be so I think I will be good. If necessary I think I can shorten the lever or make a rail shifter setup similar to a FWD cable shifted trans. The export of these parts makes sense. I called every single place I could find online and only found one available in Alabama and they were proud of it. I got the shifter, cables and clutch pedal setup all in one place.

C p weinberger

I have a decent amount of room above where the shifter will be so I think I will be good. If necessary I think I can shorten the lever or make a rail shifter setup similar to a FWD cable shifted trans. The export of these parts makes sense. I called every single place I could find online and only found one available in Alabama and they were proud of it. I got the shifter, cables and clutch pedal setup all in one place.
I’m a big fan of the 5.9 cummins, and was actually a bit inspired by the show where your build started. By at the point where I started to look for an adapter to place a 5.9 in front of a stock npr/ NRR Manual gearbox I realized I was pushing too many boundaries. I’m trying to sell an expedition camper design for world travel to wife and couldn’t justify 5.9 over 6BD1T/ 6BG1T. (She smart/ practical and smart enough to ask the tough questions) There Engines are almost identical in design. But you can’t beat 5.9 after market support.
I still prefer 5.9 in smaller NPR rather than NRR. I like the smaller cab and footprint. I am concerned with modifications and higher weight ratings when it comes to registration and Insurance here in northern VA. I can’t find others who have followed the path already. I hope to registered as an RV to eliminate a lot of BS.
Does it cause any issues where you are from to place Front drive axle under a 2 Wheel drive truck ? Or being a builder you can certify yourself?

javajoe79

Fabricator
I’m a big fan of the 5.9 cummins, and was actually a bit inspired by the show where your build started. By at the point where I started to look for an adapter to place a 5.9 in front of a stock npr/ NRR Manual gearbox I realized I was pushing too many boundaries. I’m trying to sell an expedition camper design for world travel to wife and couldn’t justify 5.9 over 6BD1T/ 6BG1T. (She smart/ practical and smart enough to ask the tough questions) There Engines are almost identical in design. But you can’t beat 5.9 after market support.
I still prefer 5.9 in smaller NPR rather than NRR. I like the smaller cab and footprint. I am concerned with modifications and higher weight ratings when it comes to registration and Insurance here in northern VA. I can’t find others who have followed the path already. I hope to registered as an RV to eliminate a lot of BS.
Does it cause any issues where you are from to place Front drive axle under a 2 Wheel drive truck ? Or being a builder you can certify yourself?
Yeah it’s hard to beat a Cummins. Tennessee doesn’t care what you do really. It currently has to be registered as a commercial vehicle but as soon as the camper box is mounted, it’s an RV. I believe at that point there’s supposed to be a visual confirmation by someone but they’re pretty lax.

Daviticus

Definitely going to follow your manual swap progress. I too have looked (unsuccessfully) for an OEM NPR shifter, I have the grand illusion in my mind of putting an SM420 and a AA Ranger OD behind the V8 in mine. I do know the SM420 was used behind a 3-cyl Detroit in the Gama Goat so a cable shift unit exists, but I’d imagine it’s just as difficult to source as an NPR shifter is Stateside.

I had also considered a rod linkage setup and opening a section of cab floor to mount everything ala Unimog. Sealing it might be some trouble, but then again who knows how well sealed I could get the steering column boot at the floor either. 34C28DE6-28AE-44A0-8F37-90E469A30EAE.jpeg

javajoe79

Fabricator
Progress on the cab. All painted, new windshield which was surprisingly cheap, new floor mats, etc...

I'm going to pack the B pillars and the rib across the back of the cab with foam too. The headliner is getting covered in some sort of felt for softness and noise reduction and there will be reflectix installed behind that.

I'll be building a large flat topped dash over the stock dash structure. Something slightly padded but with a lip so we can stash all sorts of things on top of it while in transit.

To round it all off I'm going to recreate the front panel in aluminum with my shop name cut in it. Maybe Isuzu and Cummins as well.

I ordered the transmission too so I hope to have it roadworthy again soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles