NPR 4wd conversion and camper build thread.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I placed the camper on the new subframe. Like I thought I’ll be adding 4” in height to the subframe by placing some 4”x4” tubing under it and between the truck frame. This will also give me space for a slide out folding staircase.

Attachments

• F3004FD0-1E33-4944-94B4-6D6BECC908C6.jpeg
    F3004FD0-1E33-4944-94B4-6D6BECC908C6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 185
  • B8D0DEEA-84D2-4F76-B2CF-D2289369FE8C.jpeg
    B8D0DEEA-84D2-4F76-B2CF-D2289369FE8C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 185

DzlToy

Explorer
How do you plan to mimic the motions of the top mount OEM shifter on the 4500? I have seen the factory NPR manual transmission and it is a bit strange. I supposed with a decent CAD program, the levers, angles, moments and lengths could all be figured out so that each movement of the shifter lever is translated to whatever is necessary on the New Venture Gear box.

JB Custom Fab makes really nice custom cables if you are in need of some. If that isn't it, try JB Conversions.

javajoe79

Fabricator
How do you plan to mimic the motions of the top mount OEM shifter on the 4500? I have seen the factory NPR manual transmission and it is a bit strange. I supposed with a decent CAD program, the levers, angles, moments and lengths could all be figured out so that each movement of the shifter lever is translated to whatever is necessary on the New Venture Gear box.

JB Custom Fab makes really nice custom cables if you are in need of some. If that isn't it, try JB Conversions.
I have the factory Isuzu manual shifter and cables. They weren't easy to find since there were so few in the states but I may have found the last set. I will extend those as needed or replace them entirely. They're just morse cables more or less. The shifter mechanism in the cab was the important part. My plan is to mimic what they do with cable shifted transaxles. I've modified a couple of FWD units for use in mid engine setups so I have a plan that should do fine. . One cable will rotate a shaft and one cable will push and pull on the shaft. The shaft will run in bushings in a block that I machine to bolt on where the factory shifter was. The shaft will have a selector just like the end of the factory shifter. Rotating the shaft will be like shifting from 1-2, 3-4 or 5-R and pushing/pulling the shaft will move the selector between the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-R positions.

I used a JB fab setup on a GMC Jimmy that I swapped recently. Nice stuff for sure.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Finally finished the shifter linkage and clutch hydraulics. I’ve been busy as hell at the shop so it’s hard to work on my own project. Anyway it shifts well as is but I may try some tweeks. Ignore the zip ties. I haven’t received the proper clips to retain the cables yet.
C1FA57B5-FCC9-4ABC-868C-3306E9C4C107.jpeg43D70BBD-6D9B-4DEE-A207-BAAD3066C7DB.jpegA8418851-C2DA-4EA7-B272-C0DD61831E68.jpeg

DzlToy

Explorer
Cool project Chris.

There are a few companies making 'cable conversion' kits for traditional H-pattern boxes, but most are tailored to the Tremec boxes. An NV4500 kit would be nice.

MME Motorsport at Autosport International 2019 in Birmingham, UK: Convert any H pattern gearbox to Paddle Shift + Lightning Sequential Paddle Shifting.

Bremer offers a cable shifted setup for many H-pattern gearboxes.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Thanks! I searched high and low for one before I started. If there was enough demand I could replicate this pretty easily.

DzlToy

Explorer
IIRC, both companies will do custom work, but since you have a fab shop at your disposal, I suppose the end result is the same.

Did you pattern the linkage out of the original Isuzu, cable-shifted box or did you have that?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Yeah having another shop do a one off wouldn’t make sense since I can do it myself. If someone had me make this from scratch it would easily be a few thousand dollars.

No the isuzu transmission was meant to shift like this and the shaft comes out of the side of the case so it’s a little different. I’ve made similar little linkages for a variety of things so it wasn’t too bad. I just had to stare at it for a few hours so I could build it in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles