HazzardSky's M101A2 Build

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I did mot change my 8 bolt axle because it matched the lug pattern of my 2500HD I did remove the non working brake system for weight savings.
Patrick did change his axle to a six lug toyota to match his tow rig.
FandL changed his axle out to a dexter and has spacers to match his jeep.

His build has good pictures http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117096-1953-M101A1-RESURRECTION

I just ordered an axle for my box trailer, needed the hub to hub length, spring perch width and if it was spring over / under. and what weight capacity.
It was shipped within a week.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 184

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If you use the original spring plates you will have a lower shock mount.
If not the lower shock mount will need welded to the axle tube.

Attachments

• shock 1.jpg
    shock 1.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2012-02-29_20-43-36_394.jpg
    2012-02-29_20-43-36_394.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 15
  • shock 2.jpg
    shock 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF5656.jpg
    DSCF5656.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15

cs0430

Here is my axle order sheet. The upcharge to 5200lb was minimal so I did that. I made my axle length so with a pair of 1.25" spacers added and Toyota wheels used it would track the same as my 4Runner. You can do the math yourself once you find the backspacing of your stock wheels.

Edit - you can also get a cheap set of weld-on 3" shock mounts from: https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SBRKT-3.html

Attachments

• Trailer Order Sheet.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 15

HazzardSky

Did a bit of research while cooling down between painting rounds today. I'm more just leaving this here for my records so I can have it all together.

To match my WJ, 63.5" WMS-WMS. Wheels are 16x7, 245/75/16 tires, Backspacing = 6.0" Offset = 50.8mm Bolt pattern = 5x5 (5x127mm)

I was orginally thinking of matching them to my KL, but those have a super weird offset, so I think matching to the WJ makes the most sense. They both will get about equal time with the trailer, so either way work I guess.

Since the stock wheels are r16, I may order tires and have the put on the stock axle for the moment, while I get an order placed for a new axle, which looks like it will take some time, both for me to figure it all out, and make the trip, but also to have it built and ready for pickup, not to mention finding time to install. Wow that was a run-on sentence.

So, 245 width tires should fit on the current wheels, as they have 225 on them now, and when I do the axle swap, I can move the tires to the spare rims matching the WJ.

Cool.

I should have priming, and some painting done this week, so now I need to figure out how to attach the cap to the trailer. 3/4" seems to be the right height between the two, so im debating between wood or steel, perhaps 3" wide, then bolting all the way through.

HazzardSky

Well, I managed to find some rattlecan paint in the color I was hoping for, and while more expensive than I would like, it looks pretty good, though needs another coat.

Next steps:

- Finish priming.
- Tires (one is completely gone)
- Lights and harness
- Attaching the cap and sealing up

IMG_0790.jpg

HazzardSky

Some good progress made this week. I switched out one of the tires, and will be getting the second one done this week. The tires match my WJ, and when I get around to replacing the axle, I'll get rims to match so I can swap them around as needed. Since the wheels I have and the wheels on the trailer are both r16, it'll just be switching our the wheels when time comes for the axle.

IMG_0826.jpg

Entire trailer is primed, and bottom half is painted. I attached the cap this morning, using a smattering of bolts in case I ever want to remove it. I'll be going around the seams with sealer in the next day or two to keep water out. I need to fabricate a small bracket or lip for the front edge, as it overhangs by around 2". Also need to fix the front window.

I spend an few hours with an angle grinder and steel brush attachment and did some awful awful things to the tub interior. It looks so much better now that it is all cleaned up and primed though.

IMG_0843.JPG

I gutted all the 24v wiring and lights, and ran new taillights and a normal 7-pin cable and junction box up front. I added side markers to the frame, and will be wiring them for both running lights and turn signals.

I also spent a few hours at the MVA trying to get the thing registered and titled. Took some convincing, but it is done. Just need an inspection within the next 30 days. I have a few touchups to do with the wiring, and it should be good enough to pass, though the paint wont be done by then.

IMG_0835.jpg

I've got a way to go, but i'm happy with progress!

HazzardSky

Well, its been a good while since an update so here we go:

Basic aluminum angle to fill gaps, round one:

First coat of paint is go:

Aluminum brackets, round 2. Sealed and bolted in to place, added a bit of weatherstripping too. Works marvelously:

Got rid of those nasty steel cossbars. Used some more handy aluminum angle to make rails, and will have some custom crossbars to mount the solar panels to.

All wiring done, mostly painted, plexiglass temporarily taped to the front window opening, and new tires. It passed inspection an hour later. KL tows it like a champ, though its kind of like a big parachute due to the flat front. Just the way it goes, and the KL has plenty of power to compensate.

Bit of a jump here thanks to a hospital stay keeping me out of commission for a while, but here she is today ready for field testing. Second coat of paint on the exterior, cleaned up wiring, sealer all around, new front window, front bracket to make up for the overhang, both roof rails in place, weatherstripping in relevant places. Not pictured is the surface mounted turn signals on the back of the topper, and lighting for the license plate. The WJ tows it with no issues, though of course the pintle hitch is noisy. I also need to find a way to raise it up a bit. The KL tows it at a decent height, but the hitch on the WJ is lower, so need to raise it at least 4" for it to ride a bit better and not slumped so far forward.

I still have some minor things to touch up on the outside, and need to find a tongue box, but otherwise it is pretty solid. I have the crossbars measured, but need to do a bit of cutting and then painting before mounting them, and the solar panel. I have a charge controller and small battery in one of the side toolboxes ready to go.

Also, I am in dire need of a tongue jack, but am having a hard time finding one I like that is tall enough. The search continues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne