Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HazzardSky's M101A2 Build

Default HazzardSky's M101A2 Build

Hello!

I'll be using this thread to log my progress as I build up an M101A2 trailer in to something interesting. Discussion and advice is greatly appreciated!

Immediate goals:
    - Sand and paint the trailer + cap
    - Attach the commercial cap
    - Axle and wheel replacement to match my WJ
    - Wiring for lights
    - Pass inspection
    Ultimately I want this to pass MD inspection and get legit tags on it asap.

Sooner than later:
    - Weather sealing
    - Solar electric and batteries
    - Interior clean-up
    My goal here is to have this ready for basic camping needs by the end of the year

Longer term goals:
    - Water/Shower
    Who knows what else may come along.

Here is a picture from when I picked up the trailer.

IMG_0631.jpg

The paint needs to go, and it has a bit of rust, but the price was pretty darn good. It tows very well behind my WJ, and expect my KL will have little trouble with it either.

I knew I wanted to put a commercial truck cap on top for sake of ease, so I went to a few local places that sell used caps, and checked craigslist. Absolutely nothing found in a reasonable size at anywhere near a reasonable price. Since i'm not in a rush I tabled the idea and headed home. A few miles from my house, I saw a cap on the side of the road with a for sale sign. I turned around, measured, and made a cash offer on the spot. It's a bit taller than I might like, but should have plenty of room, and fits well. Plus, again I got incredibly lucky with pricing.

Here it is at home with the cap:

IMG_0646.jpg

So, my next step is to find a place that can blast and prime everything for me. If anyone has any recommendations for places in northern MD, do let met know.

Cheers!
    Last edited by HazzardSky; 07-14-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: pictures

The cap fits nice. The M101A2 are great sized trailers.
    They can be put on a little diet and lightened some with a new axle and electric brakes.
    Lose the boat anchor surge system and add a new hitch.

Nice clean condition

Welcome. I'm Looking forward to watching your build. What kind of truck did the top come off of?
    DISABLED AMERICAN VETERAN
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    " For the greatest tragedy is being forgotten"
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
    1998 Jeep Cherokee
    1988 Suzuki Samurai
    M101A1
    Jeep 416

Nice cap! Welcome to expo! I love my M101 trailers and I'm sure you will too. Keep us posted on the build.
    1991 Jeep Cherokee
    1996 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban Vortec 7400
    1967 Jeep M715
    M101A1 (old firewood hauler / camping trailer) (getting some repairs and paint and soon to be sold to help fund the new build)
    M101A3 (new firewood hauler/ utility trailer)
    M416 (restored)
    1983 Parkhurst MOON1F (military pump trailer frame that is similar to M101 but heavier built) (needs brakes rebuilt and tires, soon to have an aluminum service body on it for camping)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harley View Post
    The cap fits nice. The M101A2 are great sized trailers.
    They can be put on a little diet and lightened some with a new axle and electric brakes.
    Lose the boat anchor surge system and add a new hitch.

Nice clean condition
    Definitely planning on switching out the axle and brakes. I'll leaning heavily towards sticking with a pintle hitch, though of course will get rid of that actuator assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by realwarrior View Post
    Welcome. I'm Looking forward to watching your build. What kind of truck did the top come off of?
    Thanks! I believe it came off of a F350 Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTNDAVIE View Post
    Nice cap! Welcome to expo! I love my M101 trailers and I'm sure you will too. Keep us posted on the build.
    Thanks! I'm happy with the trailer so far, even though i've only moved it twice (once to pick it up, and once to grab the cap). It tows very smoothly. I cant wait to make some real progress on it. Still trying to find time to track down a place for sanding and painting.

Did a bit of small stuff today. I needed my WJ for other business, so I detached it, and got to test out how the KL does pulling it. Of course it does fine, and I was surprised to find the hitch height isnt as mismatched as I expected, though I still had to break out the hi-lift to detach it. I really need to get a tongue jack attached. It is still really tall by comparison, though switching out the axle and tires will shed some height, and when I have the rack on the KL that would make it pretty even i'd imagine.

IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg

I did some adjusting and got the hatch opened, and took some time to poke around and gave everything a rinse. It really does have some nice room inside.

IMG_0651.jpg

I started cleaning up a bit of the toolboxes on one of the sides as well. Dirty, and needs new weatherstripping, but otherwise pretty clean, and a coat of primer for half of it make a pretty big difference.

IMG_0655.jpg

I promised myself I won't touch this again until I find a place to help me start getting it cleaned up in terms of sanding and painting. I need to figure out how to permanently mount the cap as well, and am debating either wood or some steel to go between the two, as well as whether to bolt it on, or weld it.

If anyone has any tips/tricks, please feel free to chime in. I'mm still browsing all of the other build threads when I can, and am getting all sorts of cool ideas for after I get it painted and attached.

Personally I would bolt it on, thus giving you the option to remove it easily should you want to. You may never have to but the option is nice. You can always go with a foam seal between the cap and trailer too, giving you a pretty much sealed enclosure from the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyinco View Post
    Personally I would bolt it on, thus giving you the option to remove it easily should you want to. You may never have to but the option is nice. You can always go with a foam seal between the cap and trailer too, giving you a pretty much sealed enclosure from the elements.
    Thats my thoughts too.
    DISABLED AMERICAN VETERAN
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    " For the greatest tragedy is being forgotten"
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
    1998 Jeep Cherokee
    1988 Suzuki Samurai
    M101A1
    Jeep 416

My name is parapyropig, and I approve of this thread.

Please check out my build (link at bottom).

image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by parapyropig View Post
    My name is parapyropig, and I approve of this thread.

Please check out my build (link at bottom).

image.jpeg
    Actually, while i've been eyeing an expedition trailer for a while, your build is what inspired me to finally go for it. While i'll probably go a slightly different direction, I have your thread bookmarked

---

As an update, nothing really new has happened. I need to figure out the specs and get a new axle ordered asap. One of the tires on the trailer had a gash in it, which had no issues on the trip home, but the tire is now 100% flat, and im a bit concerned about bringing it back up to pressure. I have two wheels and tires, matching my WJ, so I just need to get an axle that can match it, and get it installed so I can have reasonable wheels.

I'm still stuck on painting options too. I know I need to get it blasted, but I dont want to go through all the work of painting it, only to mess it up when I try and weather seal everything. Sealing up all the wholes is something I havent seen detailed around here much. I just want to make sure I plan it out and do it right, rather than do things out of order and end up costing more time and money
    2015 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk

2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee

M101A2 - In progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast