Barefoot & Homeless at Last...Adventures of a Young Sasquatch

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Pretty awesome adventure. i have been wanting to go west and overland. i traded my 2012 tacoma trd as it was just too small for my day to day life and bought a 2013 ram 2500 ctd. You happen to have anymore photos of info about your friends truck?

I hear you on the space thing...my Taco is pretty much loaded to the hilt with stuff, but mostly exactly what I need. If I had a bigger truck I'd just bring more stuff I don't need :). As for Andy's Ram, it is a 2500 CTD and the only mods so far are the AEV wheels wrapped in 37" BFG AT KO's and the AEV suspension. That rack for the tent and awning was custom built by someone in Durango...not sure who.

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Gunnison to Jelm WY

The past few days have been sketchy with wi-fi...so here are my journal notes from the past few days...

I think today is Sunday…wait, let me check my moon-dial....yep, pretty sure Sunday. After the tooth fiasco Friday in Gunnison, the biggest thing I was worried about was eating (I like my food). It seemed counter intuitive that one could eat a meal only an hour after having a digit yanked out of your gums, but my dinner at the Twisted Fork on N.Main was outstanding. I’m a self-admitted food snob so my expectations were low, but the curry chicken noodle bowl did not disappoint! And surprisingly the empty hole where tooth #23 once resided did not bother me at all as I slopped back the noddles and a vodka martini :)

Saturday AM I was focused on getting back on the trail. I picked up the COBDR about 20 minutes east of Gunnison off hwy50. The first 1/2 hour was easy gravel road until the turn just past the Waunita hot springs…from there it was an unmaintained county road that went up and over a forested pass and eventually dropped you int the town of Pitkin which, like Ophir is just a small establishment of cabins, but they do have a general store where you can buy 87 octane. As I left Pitkin I started up Cumberland pass and was rewarded with an incredible view at the top. I snapped a few pics, then headed down to the base of the mountain before taking another dirt track that would eventually take me up and over to Buena Vista.

I briefly stopped in Buena Vista for a whiskey tasting before continuing on to what quickly became my favorite, then most hated part of the trail thus far. As you leave BV and just a few mile out of town you hit this sand track that reminds me a lot of the country southwest of Moab. The trail itself was a blast to drive and the contrast of the flowers, green grasses and rock formations was beautiful. As I plodded along I came upon this guy solo camping in his Tacoma. I stopped to chat a minute and it turns out he had left the grind of daily life 18 months ago and was living out of his truck and moved around CO and UT in search of the best hiking and fly fishing. Very cool :).

So that was my favorite part. What came after that was a bit of a grind. The trail takes you up and over a couple of passes before dropping you onto Hwy 285 for a few miles…then you track west again into a heavily forested area with this boney road that seems to have no end of bowling ball sized rocks for what seems like forever. Just the kind of rocks that present no challenge, but you have to pay attention. Scenery?…there was none….just forest with lots of dead trees. Only fun part was the water crossings at the end….I was hoping I would see some lib making an attempt in his Subaru Forester, but I was skunked!

I finally made it to the main county road right around dinner time and made camp at a previously established site that came complete with a rock fire ring and lots of dry wood to scrounge. I made dinner, started a fire and eventually crashed out.

The next morning weather had moved in. It was cold, windy and showers were moving in. Since I was just a few miles off 285 and Fairplay (aka South Park) and I knew the weather would pass, I abandoned the normal morning routine quickly packed up and headed for town before I got pissed on.

I found the busiest breakfast spot in town which even for a single spot a the bar was like a 30 minute wait. I got my name on the list and went back to the truck to make my coffee (ya, coffee snob too). Breakfast was awesome, and with a full belly I decided I just had to have a couple of pics of “downtown” South Park (which oddly enough does resemble the cartoon version). With my South Park experience complete, it was time to move on.

I had decided the night before I wanted to hit WY today since I need to be in Canada later in the week, but I was determined to get back on COBDR and finish the trek to Leadville…so I pointed south back to my campsite so I could pick up the trail. The ride up and over Weston pass was easy, and once over the pass I discovered one of the nicest dispersed campsites I’ve ever seen. It was right on the creek, totally secluded from the road and was covered with trees and plenty of flat places to set up the RTT. If I had only driven another 2 hours last night I could have stayed here….DOH!! I snapped a photo with the Garmin so it would record the co-ordinates….I’ll be back to this place one day.

I hit the pavement, then eventually Leadville, stopped for supplies and headed northeast to WY. I had a feeling that after seeing what I had just seen in CO, WY may be a dissapointment…and so far I’m right. I came in through Medicine Bow NF and started taking FS spur roads in search of a place to camp. Most of the NF land as you enter the park is nothing more than thick, flat spruce brush that has been decimated by disease. There is no way I wanted to camp in that, so I kept going until I found New Jelm. I’m posted up a few feet from the Laramie River with a pit toilet up the hill and I own the place…no camp fees, no people. Life is good!

Tomorrow it’s off to SD, but not before I see wild Buffalo…a local told me there are a bunch about 20 miles south.

Cheers,
B

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Just tried to upload photos and no go. I appreciate pics more than anyone on a thread...but either my wi-fi or this forum software does not like me now. Post up when I can

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So I have a question, What did you do in your corporate life? What is your plan when your next employer sees a 1 or 2 year gap in your employment history? I'd love to start doing what you're doing but have my reservations as far as future jobs.

Awesome pics and loving the detailed write ups!

arpisme

>>> What is your plan when your next employer sees a 1 or 2 year gap in your employment history? I'd love to start doing what you're doing but have my reservations as far as future jobs.

'Tis better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission, or Carpe Diem or whatever other cliche you need to get you going.
I'm guessing the job thing will sort itself out for anyone who takes the plunge and you'd be better off in the end.
My .02

owyheerat

Adventurer
You are living the dream man! Well at least my dream...

Congrats to you. I hope to some day do something very similar. Nice choice of expo rig too.

Be safe and keep this thread updated. I'm living vicariously thru you.

Durwin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94