Barefoot & Homeless at Last...Adventures of a Young Sasquatch

dieselbigot

Adventurer
This sort of trip has been a fantasy of mine for a long time. The allure of trading in corporate life, powerpoint presentations and board room meetings for board shorts, no entries in my calendar and wide open road full or dirt has been a gravitational pull for years. I’ve been dreaming of this forever, and now I’m fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do it.

A few years ago during an internal business review one of my senior execs asked me what my 5 year goal was…like where did I see myself?, where did I want to be?, what role did I want in the company? Without hesitation and with total conviction I told him I wanted to earn the right to become bare foot and homeless…period, end of sentence. Aside from the initial chuckle of my peers and and looks bewilderment from surrounding execs, I got the reaction you might think I would get inside the walls of an uptight corporate campus…Ummm…Huh??

So now it’s happening. I’m barefoot as I type this and as of tomorrow morning my home will be a well kitted 2010 Tacoma with an ARB fridge, Columbus RTT and a bunch of **** in the back…camp gear, chainsaw, MTB, iSUP, books, music, yoga mat…yada yada. I’m beyond stoked!

Plan is to head east from CA through NV via Hwy 50 to Durango CO (the WAY prettier route)…I’ll camp along the way in Great Basin, hang for a couple of days with friends in Durango, then pick up the COBDR in Cortez early next week.

The full track of COBDR from 4 corners to WY boarder is 600+ miles of dirt…I may do all of it, I may skip some depending on mood and timing. Once in WY I’ll explore Medicine Bow NF before heading further north and east into SD where I’ll spend some time around the Black Hills area. I’ve never seen Mt. Rushmore and as much as I hate crowds, government run campgrounds and retard tourists, I feel like it’s just something I have to see. Once I’ve had my fill there and feel strongly compelled to start running people over, I’ll resist the urge and hammer down north to the CDN boarder crossing in Baudette MN.

My family has a cottage in Lake of the Woods…it’s a gorgeous spot on a very quiet lake (Longbow Lake, MB) surrounded by crown land (think BLM) with complete privacy and incredible fishing. Lake of the Woods is home to walleye, northern pike, perch, sauger, crappie, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, lake trout, lake sturgeon, and muskellunge. It’s comprised of nearly 1,700 sq. miles of water with 25,000 miles of shoreline and over 14,000 islands.

I’ll spend about 10-12 days at the cottage, then blast across the prairies (zero to see here) to meet more family in Calgary. From there I’ll head back into the US via Rooseville BC…the starting point of the Continental Divide. Im meeting a few friends for this portion of the trip and we’ve allotted about 2.5 weeks to complete it.

To come full circle, I’ll drive back to Durango and pick up my buddy Andy…we’ll head out to Moab and camp there for a few days until we are sick of each other, then it’s back home to CA around mid Sept. Then I’ll start planning my second leg…Australia in November :).

I’ll post up as I go along and as Wi-FI allows…stay tuned!
Cheers,
B
FullSizeRender.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
Don't want to pollute your thread but your story is cracking me up....

Just two days ago i was sitting with my financial advisor and he said what is your plan for retirement and when.... I responded to him quickly and said, "well, i want to buy a sail boat and live on it and sail anywhere i want at any time i want, and/or, i want to travel and see as much as possible... and when... well, as soon as possible. I want to wander" I told him my career was simply a way to fund an exit strategy, period.

He sat there puzzled. I think he expected me to respond with the same story he hears from his other clients... I need $$ to buy a beach vacation home, buy a new car, expand on my home, continue membership at the country club... NOPE!! Not me

UHAULER

Explorer
Congratulations

Although my plans are boring in comparison, in early january my boss called some of us in to talk about our plans for the year, I don't like to BS someone and tell them some made up stuff so I basically gave him a 4 month notice that I was retiring on Cinco De Mayo:wings:

Life is too short too keep grinding away at something you don't want to do. In my case I had to cut way back on material things.

Good luck

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Day 1

Quick update while I eat lunch in Moab on the way to Durango. Got a bit of a late start yesterday and ended up pulling into camp at Great Basin right around dark. First part of the drive through Reno and western NV was predictably boring and ugly, but it starts to get cool after Austin. There are a ton of dirt tracks I'd like to go back and explore, but I'm on a bit of a timeline to hit Durango....so will have to come back with my KTM in tow some day :).

My camp site last night was nothing special, just a place to park and pop the tent for the night. Had a cocktail and did some reading before I passed out. I'll post up some pics later today or tomorrow...can't find a way to add attachments on this thread from my phone.
Cheers
B

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Congratulations

Although my plans are boring in comparison, in early january my boss called some of us in to talk about our plans for the year, I don't like to BS someone and tell them some made up stuff so I basically gave him a 4 month notice that I was retiring on Cinco De Mayo:wings:

Life is too short too keep grinding away at something you don't want to do. In my case I had to cut way back on material things.

Good luck

Hey man...good for you! I agree...life is too short to do something you don't like to do...so the trick is to find what you do like and make that your living...thats what I'm trying to figure out over the next few months. There are lots of options, but mastering the work / life balance is tough because the more you make (generally) the less time you have, but if you have time but no ability to do what you want, that's no bueno either. I have a few ways I can go...but I needed to take this time to clear my head and plot my course. Good things happen to good people, it all gets worked out in the end :).

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Random shots from the first few days

I arrived at my buddy's place outside Durango late Friday afternoon. The drive from Great Basin was easy and very scenic once you get into UT. You can maintain about 85-90mph much of the way, so it goes fast. But it's still a lot of ground to cover :). I've driven this way (CA to CO via Hwy 50) a number of times in the last 15 years, but it's been a while, so it somehow seemed fresh which is cool. I broke camp from GBNP really early making no breakfast...just a quick cup of Peet's and getting out of dodge...so I was on the road by 6am.

About an hour into the drive half way to Delta UT I saw what I thought was a mirage in the middle of the road. It was one of those long sweeping valley floor sections where you can see what seems like 10 miles ahead. I had the cruise on the Taco set at 90mph and had just crested a peak. When you are moving that fast and coming up on something, your eyes can play tricks on you.

As I rapidly approached this "thing" in the middle of the road, I realized it was someone one a bike sitting upright, in recovery mode cruising down a steep grade doing about 35-40. I'm a pretty avid cyclist and I realize how easy it is to scare the crap out of someone on a bike when you come up behind them too hot...so I slowed down quickly and allowed him to realized I was behind him before pulling up along side and rolling down my window. "Hey man...where u headed?"....(big smile from the kid on the bike)..."Portland Maine" he replied. We chatted a few seconds and I told him how awesome I thought that was and asked if he needed any water or supplies. He said thanks, he was cool and we both carried on. Pretty big balls to ride X-country solo on a bike with everything you own in 2 dry bags. As I considered all the toys and gear I was carrying in my rigged out Tacoma doing 90mph, it made me feel like a total whimp :). This kid was truly overlanding.

Anyway, here are a few shots from Day 1 camp and the trip to Moab / Durango....please be patient with the uploads, the wi-fi here is sketchy at best!
View attachment 355873View attachment 355872View attachment 355871FullSizeRender 14.jpgFullSizeRender 15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Your Bike Rider story brought back some memories.

I rode my bicycle from the Beach in Irvine Califonia to Beach in Savannah Georgia when I turned 40. Talk about an experience. Rode it in the late Spring. Actualy rode across Monument Valley in the dark to avoid the traffic and heat. 6 weeks to do the full trip.

The Full Moon lit up the towering peaks in the distance. My Family thought I was crazy.

Been wanting to do the same thing you are, but now on my Big Yamaha 1200 Adventure Bike. I turn 65 this month.

Already did it once on my KLR after I retired 7 years ago. Spent 5 weeks riding the Continental Divide North to South.

Oh and here's a story you'll enjoy.
I gave my Boss a very simular speech before my sudden Retirement exit.

My Boss and I never saw eye to eye on anything. So one early morning I told him and my Office Manager I needed to talk to them in his office. Got them behind closed door and said, "It's time to go. I've done the math, my investments are doing well, and I don't need this job that bad. Putting in for my 5 weeks vacation now. Starting Monday. (It was Friday)

While I'm gone, I'm putting in for Retirement!

Oh, and today is my Birthday and I have a Floating Holiday I haven't used. So, I'll be taking it as of now. I turned around and walked out the door without looking back. I grinned all the way out to my Pickup. I heard their jaws hit the floor.
I was there 36 years! It was time to go. Have never regretted the decision one second.

Color me Subscribed!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice! If I am not at work, I am barefoot. Def the way to go. I can walk for miles on hot pavement and not have it hurt or burn. I stepped on a rusty nail the other day and it didnt even puncture the callus.

Good for you.

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Starting COBDR tomorrow

Thanks for the comments Curtis and SD Diver...it's really cool to have a community like this to share stories w/ like minded people. Curtis, your trip across the US sounds epic...that has been a bucket list thing for me for years, but I'm a wimp and would want the security blanket of a support vehicle...haha!

The last few days with my friends in Durango have been a blast. They have a gorgeous 30 acre property just outside Durango situated about half way between downtown Durango and Vallecito reservoir which is this beautiful mountain lake with stunning mountain views. On Sunday we packed a lunch, a few of beers and our SUP boards and headed out for the morning.
FullSizeRender 2 copy 3.jpgFullSizeRender 4 copy 2.jpgFullSizeRender 3 copy 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94