Converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular

Jeff, wanted to pick your brain on hinge pin alignment for those with the wider upper. My brain tells me that as long as the far right edge of the barn door (the right edge of the upper) is left of the centerline of the hinge pin, then the swing operation should be fine. I went back and tried some investigation into what you did for Tom's, but wanted to confirm I am on the right path. Otherwise, disregard the placement of the washer (I know it will need to be further from the body).

1675517481746.png1675517528384.png

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, wanted to pick your brain on hinge pin alignment for those with the wider upper. My brain tells me that as long as the far right edge of the barn door (the right edge of the upper) is left of the centerline of the hinge pin, then the swing operation should be fine. I went back and tried some investigation into what you did for Tom's, but wanted to confirm I am on the right path. Otherwise, disregard the placement of the washer (I know it will need to be further from the body).

View attachment 764069View attachment 764071
That is correct - the right edge of the barn door needs to be to the left of the hinge pin.

I made these hinges for the wide barn door; they're basically the same as the HD hinges I designed for MORryde, but with the hinge pin moved to the right. In this next photo you can compare the hinge pin location of the stock hinge with the "wide swing" hinges.

TomHinges3_zpsbedd9167.jpg~original

TomHinges2_zps8b97c6ca.jpg~original

TomHinges4_zpsf9ad07e7.jpg~original

For the earlier hardtops with the liftgate the same width as the tailgate, the stock hinges work fine for a barn door.

That is correct - the right edge of the barn door needs to be to the left of the hinge pin.

Thanks Jeff. I ended up knocking these out yesterday. I still need to trim back the the body side bracket, clean everything up, and then get them powder coated. Swings like it came from the factory.

1675690898866.png

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Seven years ago this month (!) I started this thread to show people how to convert a JK hardtop to modular. Hopefully the info in this thread has helped at least one person who wanted to modify their hardtop or do repairs to it.

After I finished the conversion, my son bought a 2dr JK with only a soft top so he used the modular top for the several years he owned the Jeep. When he moved to NYC for work he no longer needed the Jeep, so he returned the hardtop to me and sold the Jeep with the soft top (BTW he sold it to Carvana for several thousand more than he paid for it!).

Since he sold his Jeep the hardtop has been sitting in my basement taking up space. I don't have any plans to ever own a 2-dr JK and I'm running short on space, so I'm thinking maybe I should part with the hardtop.

Is anyone is interested in having a modular hardtop for a 2-dr JK?

wrbrd

Jeff if no one takes the top I will. But shipping would have to be the way I would have to do it considering I am in North Alabama. Modular is what I’m looking for. Message me if you’re interested in doing something with it I sure would appreciate it greatly. James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff if no one takes the top I will. But shipping would have to be the way I would have to do it considering I am in North Alabama. Modular is what I’m looking for. Message me if you’re interested in doing something with it I sure would appreciate it greatly. James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know how much it would cost to crate and ship - even though it's modular, the pieces are still a big thing to ship. Probably would be expensive.

I haven't listed the top locally yet, I'll get to that soon. Really would be easiest if someone could just come by and pick it up.

wrbrd

You give me the freight cost including insurance and I’ll pay it within reason . I am into it now because of a Gr8tops deal on a part’s site scam and I am trying to get my money back from so I will pay you for the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You give me the freight cost including insurance and I’ll pay it within reason . I am into it now because of a Gr8tops deal on a part’s site scam and I am trying to get my money back from so I will pay you for the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm not willing to go through the effort of crating/preparing the hardtop for shipment, sorry. I will be offering it locally and if nobody wants to come pick it up, it'll be disposed of. I need the space. I also have a JKU hardtop (stock, not modified) that I'll be offering locally and disposing of if nobody wants it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There being no interest here, I posted the 2dr modular hardtop on the local Facebook marketplace today for $350. Includes the top with Freedom panels, plus an extra bolt-on skylight roof panel and an extra side panel.

Modular2dr1.jpg

Modular2dr2.jpg

Modular2dr3.jpg

Modular2dr5.jpg

I don't need this and I don't want to move it to our new house in our upcoming move so I've priced it to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles