Converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular

Thanks for explaining this @Jeff I just do not like the glass rear window with the wiper blade.. So if one was to use just the hard shell top based on your modular design and incorp soft windows all around.. this would be a more desirable concept in our opinion.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks for explaining this @Jeff I just do not like the glass rear window with the wiper blade.. So if one was to use just the hard shell top based on your modular design and incorp soft windows all around.. this would be a more desirable concept in our opinion.

Just warm up your sewing machine... there's no reason soft sides couldn't be made to replace both the hard sides and the hard rear panel/hatch. They'd be designed very much the same as the set on my LJ I posted a photo of earlier today, also shown here rolled down on a rainy day in Colorado, heading for Ophir Pass:

OphirPass1_zpsdf0df090.jpg

Another rainy day, this time on Tincup Pass:

TincupPassRain3_zps0fcfad3f.jpg

TincupPassRain_zpsc923a4da.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I posted this concept drawing showing possible fixed skylights in a JK roof:

TwoSkylights2_zpsmvfxzqr6.jpg

I've decided to go ahead with this project so I've been doing a some detail design work on this idea - in this next photo I've run a tape line where the skylight holes will be cut. Each skylight is 14" wide x 27" long.

RoofSkylightMarkup_zps9ysuxdd8.jpg

I've also got an idea for a retractable shade to keep sunlight out at times it's not wanted, I'll do that as well. But before I install the skylights I've got some accident damage to repair (the front corners of the panel) and I also need to add bolt flanges so this panel can bolt up to the other modular parts I've already done. I'll post step-by-step details of the repairs when I do them; I've posted lots of photos and steps for adding flanges so I won't post those steps again.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Coming up this week I've got meetings with several companies about various projects. I'll be turning over a prototype 2dr hardtop window retrofit kit for manufacturing, also meeting with the RV window company to initiate the manufacturing of the slider windows for the 2dr. A prototype 2dr retrofit kit in a factory modular hardtop side panel:

Prototype2drRetrofitKit_zpswwvj6rul.jpg

I'll also be delivering templates/specs for the Freedom panel pop-up skylight to the RV window company. These photos are of the prototype; the production hardware will be slightly different but overall the production version will look pretty much the same.

PrototypePopUpSkylight4_zpsj2enikbv.jpg

Also meeting with MORryde about the Overland Rack to kick off the production engineering process on that project; checking their pre-production JK HD door hinges to match the tailgate hinges, and meeting with a hardware company about the manufacturing of the MultiPod LED brackets as well. Lots going on this week.

akpostal

Adventurer
I'll be turning over a prototype 2dr hardtop window retrofit kit for manufacturing, also meeting with the RV window company to initiate the manufacturing of the slider windows for the 2dr.

I cant give them my money fast enough for those. Thanks.

jgaz

Adventurer
"Also meeting with MORryde about the Overland Rack to kick off the production engineering process on that project; checking their pre-production JK HD door hinges to match the tailgate hinges, and meeting with a hardware company about the manufacturing of the MultiPod LED brackets as well. Lots going on this week."

Would you please ask MORryde if they still intend to bring your ammo can holder for the TJ/LJ to market? I've contacted them and asked to be placed on a list to be notified if/when they are released. I've made a poster board pattern and even talked to a shop about bending up a version for me. However I'm sure your design is much more refined than mine. Thank you

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would you please ask MORryde if they still intend to bring your ammo can holder for the TJ/LJ to market? I've contacted them and asked to be placed on a list to be notified if/when they are released. I've made a poster board pattern and even talked to a shop about bending up a version for me. However I'm sure your design is much more refined than mine. Thank you

The first photo below shows a MORryde-made LJ ammo can tray in my Jeep; they sent it to me to test a couple of months ago (included, but not shown in this photo is a nice diamond-plate pattern rubber mat for the bottom of the tray as well as a tie-down strap for the ammo can). It's basically identical to the prototype I built and have been running successfully in my Jeep on the road and on trails for over a year now (bottom photo). As far as I'm concerned it's ready to release but there's one tiny detail that's keeping them from releasing it. It's on my agenda to talk to them about it tomorrow and get it released. Did you want one or two? Maybe I can expedite a shipment for you.

Step45_zps8dfo9suy.jpg

LJTray3_zpsh3kxern1.jpg

akpostal

Adventurer
Bringing the spare tire on the roof back up. My ZJ with the stock roof rack didnt handle well with a 33" Swamper up top. But with the Rhino Rack Back Bone I may try it on the JK, no side to side slop the ZJ had. Wont have enough room for the boat up there at the same time, will have to figure a rack for the Kwick Kamp trailer for the boat if the tire works out up there.

Im guessing the XJ racks you have on your LJ and JK dont have the side to side play in them the way my ZJ did.

Ask MORryde and Retrofit to include/offer stickers, Ild be happy to sport them.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Bringing the spare tire on the roof back up. My ZJ with the stock roof rack didnt handle well with a 33" Swamper up top. But with the Rhino Rack Back Bone I may try it on the JK, no side to side slop the ZJ had. Wont have enough room for the boat up there at the same time, will have to figure a rack for the Kwick Kamp trailer for the boat if the tire works out up there.

Im guessing the XJ racks you have on your LJ and JK dont have the side to side play in them the way my ZJ did.

I carry all kinds of things on the XJ rack on my LJ on the trail and haven't had any issues at all. Haven't had the JK on the trail but have brought big things home on the rack as well as driven around with my RTT in place and no problems there either.

Pretty much every off-road expedition I make in the LJ has at least an extra spare up there, and often a HiLift or more cargo. I haven't noticed any handling issues on the road or the trail with a spare up top. I am mindful of being in off-camber situations, just in case, but haven't ever felt like the spare put me in jeopardy.

LJ3D1_zpszsh0w7kd.jpg

Bringing home a queen bed from Ikea, 250 miles with the bed up there:

RackQueenBed1_zpszj4s8znt.jpg

Ask MORryde and Retrofit to include/offer stickers, Ild be happy to sport them.

Back in March I suggested that MORryde include stickers in the box when I saw a Jeep at Easter Jeep Safari that had the HD hinges installed and stickers from the manufacturer of every other accessory the guy had; I'll add it to the agenda for tomorrow.

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
There likely isnt any side to side slop that the XJ or ZJ racks had with the the way you have them mounted. Stock rack on my ZJ no matter what I did always had some slip with the tire up there side to side. My old XJ had the same slip/slop if I strapped to the bars and not the towers.

My new raft needed a wider base so I went with the Rhino Rack, I shouldnt have an issue if I throw the tire up there.

Again cant wait for the hard top sliding windows.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There likely isnt any side to side slop that the XJ or ZJ racks had with the the way you have them mounted. Stock rack on my ZJ no matter what I did always had some slip with the tire up there side to side. My old XJ had the same slip/slop if I strapped to the bars and not the towers.

My new raft needed a wider base so I went with the Rhino Rack, I shouldnt have an issue if I throw the tire up there.

Again cant wait for the hard top sliding windows.

Side slop can be eliminated in the XJ/ZJ racks by shortening the crossbars slightly on a stock XJ/ZJ or mounting the rails far enough apart to snug things up on a custom installation. On a stock XJ or ZJ you can unscrew the crossbars and remove them and cut a little off the end so when they're reinstalled the slides they mount to are pulled in tight. You don't have to remove much. In the case of my LJ I mounted the rails far enough apart to tighten everything up; in the case of the JK I had to shorten the crossbars anyway so the rack fit between the Alpine windows so I made them an appropriate length so they weren't loose.

It probably will take a few months for the 2dr slider kit to hit the market given the lead times of both the hardware manufacturer and the window manufacturer. I'll post updates here as the process progresses.

akpostal

Adventurer
Side slop can be eliminated in the XJ/ZJ racks by shortening the crossbars slightly on a stock XJ/ZJ or mounting the rails far enough apart to snug things up on a custom installation. On a stock XJ or ZJ you can unscrew the crossbars and remove them and cut a little off the end so when they're reinstalled the slides they mount to are pulled in tight. You don't have to remove much. In the case of my LJ I mounted the rails far enough apart to tighten everything up; in the case of the JK I had to shorten the crossbars anyway so the rack fit between the Alpine windows so I made them an appropriate length so they weren't loose.

With new raft I have making the rack narrower would not have worked out, but Im sure this is useful to others.

In the end the Rhino Rack was much more costly then reusing the stock ZJ rack, but I am much happier with the results and the things I can add to it in the future.

It probably will take a few months for the 2dr slider kit to hit the market given the lead times of both the hardware manufacturer and the window manufacturer. I'll post updates here as the process progresses.

I should be on the list for the first run of the slider window kits, I cant wait.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...Ask MORryde and Retrofit to include/offer stickers, Ild be happy to sport them.

In the meeting today MORryde brought up the subject of stickers before I did - it's been on their to-do list since I mentioned the idea at EJS.

MRSticker_zpsxm43rmgf.jpg

This might not be the final sticker, it's a preliminary version - the actual sticker is a bit smaller than this image, so they might enlarge it a bit before doing a volume order.

They said if I gave them your address they'd send you some. You can email me your address if you want to.

akpostal

Adventurer
I will gladly slap those on my Jeep and cooler, email sent. Thank you.

ETA: I also emailed Retrofit Offroad about stickers, Im looking forward to getting the parts from them already on order and will be happy to slap them on if they put them out for sale or with the sliding windows.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
The first photo below shows a MORryde-made LJ ammo can tray in my Jeep; they sent it to me to test a couple of months ago (included, but not shown in this photo is a nice diamond-plate pattern rubber mat for the bottom of the tray as well as a tie-down strap for the ammo can). It's basically identical to the prototype I built and have been running successfully in my Jeep on the road and on trails for over a year now (bottom photo). As far as I'm concerned it's ready to release but there's one tiny detail that's keeping them from releasing it. It's on my agenda to talk to them about it tomorrow and get it released. Did you want one or two? Maybe I can expedite a shipment for you.

Step45_zps8dfo9suy.jpg

LJTray3_zpsh3kxern1.jpg

Thank you sir! Email in route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior