Rear Battery Box Suggestions Needed

Gathering parts to do a triple battery conversion and I need suggestions for a SEALED rear battery box to fit either a group 27 or 31 battery.

Don't want a marine style box that is secured with a strap or ones that have mounting holes thru the base of the box. Ballistic missiles and rotted floors come to mind.

Something along the lines of these two neither of which are sealed but can be.
Has mounting feet but battery retention in the box is iffy.
01-1622_BIG.jpg

Top grade box with strap inside box and latched lid, but top shelf price to @ approx $250
Augies%20Battert%20Bix%20B31S.jpg

If anyone is interested here is my design so far for triple battery circuit. This is gas not diesel.
Triple%20Battery%20Diagram.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
One Metal 1/4" x2" strap across the top of all of them thru bolted to the floor. Sealed is old school. All you need is a way for the hydrogen gas to go up and out or up and mix with air so it does not concentrate. Cut a storage tub or anything to make a neat cover that will keep metal objects off of the battery terminals. You don't need a bomb proof box but you do need a bomb proof strap holding them down and a way to keep metal objects from shorting the terminals. Diluted hydrogen is not explosive and safe to breath.

Wow a dose of reality sure kicks the brain into gear. I do like the simplistic approach. Sometimes I make things more complicated than they really should be.

I wanted it to be removable for when I needed the extra storage space. By sing a single metal strap over the top I can use rivet nuts thru the flooring then I can attach and remove the strap at will. I normally don't have access to the area under the floor for wrenching because the gas tank covers that area. Since I currently have the tank puled for replacement I can install large fender washers on the underside to prevent pull thru.

Either with some ABS or Kydex I can form a tray for the battery to sit on and can also make an enclosure to just slide down over everything. WOW super simple and cost effective. Also this will provide a place to mount my circuit breaker and Anderson Power Pole(SB350) for quick disconnect.

THANKS Stump that helped rattle the brain BIG TIME.

Yeah I will be using SB350 connectors front and rear. The front will be mounted so it is accessible thru grill and be used for the winch and jumper cable connection. The rear one will be used for the third battery connection and used for an inverter and fridge. I was going to use red ones but I found out there is an actual voltage color code associated with them. Not that it would make much difference which one you use for what voltage I figured I would stick with the standard. Yellow signifies 12 VDC

Like most users of Power Poles, I do use the red and black paired ones, that has been the established standard, for my low current demands (0-45 amp). Not to advertise any particular company as I have no connection to them, but I do use PowerWerx for most of my Anderson Power Pole needs.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
If you have fabrication tools, you can make a simple mount using angle iron. Build a frame that surrounds the batteries on the top and bottom. Use long bolts between the two frames. Cheap and very secure. I made this one to hold two group 31's in the back seat area of my truck. It bolts to the rear cab mounts and the seat belt anchors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94