FWC with AC ?

Gunslinger1

Observer
Could anyone tells us if the FWC comes with a framed in spot to put a AC unit and what type AC unit is best used. Most campers have a roof vent you take out and install the ac, we live in Clarks Hill SC and AC is a must on clarks hill lake in spring and summer. We will be looking for a FWC to fit our 2012 Nissan Frontier with long 6ft bed.

smlobx

Wanderer
I don't believe they have a place that has been reinforced to accommodate an A/C. I have seen some that have been made to work through the back window though.

You might want to check out Hallmark campers. They have a much stronger roof system and come pre wired for an A/C

www.hallmarkrv.com

We love ours...

Overdrive

Adventurer
FWC's cannot accommodate a roof-top AC unit.

The factory can build some floor plans with a rear-wall mounted AC which takes the place of the rear window, but it's not simply "pull out the window and stick in the AC" because the wall framing is a different build...strengthened for the AC.

subterran

Adventurer
AC_outside_1.JPG AC_inside 1.JPG
AC_inside2.JPG AC_outside_2.JPG

I take it out of the window in the off season. I stick the AC plug out the window and plug in an extension cord

S4RSSS

Adventurer
I had an A/C in mine, out of the rear window location. Built from the FWC factory. The photo shows it covered by the vinyl custom cover held on by buttons.

IMAG3903.jpg
IMAG3915.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG3665.jpg
    IMAG3665.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 78

Gunslinger1

Observer
Thank goodness when we get ready we will have FWC build ours in. One other question we had was can you slip inside the FWC with the top down for quick pit stop or potty stop ? A lot of the back country roads of the SC mountains and the south Savanna river area dont have a store every few miles. We want to make sure the potty is quick road side access with having to put the top up. Thats the two criteria our next camper must meet cool and quick access.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
An AC unit will fit into the rear window area in a Hawk or Grandby. The framing for the window is stout and will support the unit and the brackets. Even if you had to add additional aluminum framing the job is straight forward.

Gunslinger1

Observer
YIKES ITs HOT in Carolina

That little portable air unit was cool but their is no way I would cut a hole in the wall of a brand new FWC Fleet shell model camper, FWC e mailed me back and said no go on the A/C ? REALLY no ac in a brand new camper in todays world ? Im missing something ?? sleeping in a pool of sweat is what we have been doing in the tent enough already. And yes that Hallmark is really nice but my budget is ten grand and they dont offer the shell model ? Boy the market leaves me more questions as to why no one makes a simple little slide in to camp in for the weekend. All we need is a porty potty two beds and a AC, GOTTA HAVE AC !! Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated as long as I dont have to drive three days to buy it. We live in SC.

subterran

Adventurer
I live in Atlanta, and yes it is hot. Did you see the photos I posted? I just bought a cheap 5000 BTU windows unit, and stuck it out the window. Simple and cheap and works great.

Gunslinger1

Observer
Eureka with AC

This is a little more of what we had in mind not a expensive roof top unit but looks pretty good in the back wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior