EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
WARN build great products, no two ways about it. When a mate and i first started to compete in the Rain forrest challenge (Malaysia) way back in 1998 , Outback Challenge and numerous other 4x4 events WARN have always looked after us. I think the 8274 has got to be one of the best winches ever made.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
WARN build great products, no two ways about it. When a mate and i first started to compete in the Rain forrest challenge (Malaysia) way back in 1998 , Outback Challenge and numerous other 4x4 events WARN have always looked after us. I think the 8274 has got to be one of the best winches ever made.

I agree, I had an 8274 on my first truck. The stronger, lower profile ones with integrate solenoid pack are the way I go now - 16.5ti. With a snatch block you can pull over 30,000 pounds.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
We are set up at the the new silver lot - SEMA is huge so bring your walking shoes. So much great stuff here.
photo.JPG

I had my first 8274 on a old rusty FJ55 landcruiser we travelled around Aus with, could not kill either of them.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
You were parked right next to us :)

1235181_10151615384745872_709206643_n.jpg

Did you enjoy the show?

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
We had a great time. Got to catch up with mates from all sorts of interesting places, still recovering........ We had a ball.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
Quick up date on the left hand drive - Gen 3 EarthCruiser - for the United Sates and Export.
We are very excited about these new models, they have been in the works for a long time. Credit has to be given to our loyal customers (with well over 750,000+ kms of overland travel around the world) sharing there experience and valuable feed back.
For the record, these Gen 3's are Made in the USA from the ground up, NOT imported from Asia and re-assembled. As with EarthCruiser in Australia local manufacture means personalisations for each of our EarthCruiser clients, to make their EarthCruiser their own.

First off the line are the raised roof version with the new security power window- we have kept the entry through the mud room ( flat floor - there are no internal steps) which is very handy in the snow or the bush. We've added many nice little features like heated seats, hot water return (no loss of water or energy while getting the right mix of temperate water at the faucet) and other innovations. All are standard features as with most of what we do.
GEN3__1.JPG
First mock ups in Portland Or
GEN3__2.jpg
First the chassis work
GEN3__3.jpg
Bull Bars are standard ( ECB from Aus)
GEN3__4.jpg
Ring ins on the delivery truck, but we could spot the difference
GEN3__5.JPG
Check, seat on the um er left
GEN3__6.JPG
Plush ride on the way
GEN3__7.jpg
Correct address

Up date on the New Aus built EC`s in the coming weeks, we have been real busy there too :)

Last edited:

ET MR

Hello all

Can the raised roof version of the EarthCruiser withstand the very very cold weather of the recent weeks (icy winds and -30C)?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
We've spent a lot of time at EarthCruiser developing for all types of weather. I'm not sure I'd really want to be out in the icy winds and -30 temperatures but an EarthCruiser is very well insulated and in the worst weather you can always lower the roof and still sleep and use all of the indoor amenities.

We're big into the outdoors here in Bend and we're always innovating...the latest from the team is ski boot warmers in the mudroom!

ET MR

We've spent a lot of time at EarthCruiser developing for all types of weather. I'm not sure I'd really want to be out in the icy winds and -30 temperatures but an EarthCruiser is very well insulated and in the worst weather you can always lower the roof and still sleep and use all of the indoor amenities.

We're big into the outdoors here in Bend and we're always innovating...the latest from the team is ski boot warmers in the mudroom!

Thanks for your answer.

How does the folding mechanism withstand those harsh conditions? I mean, will it function OK? (won't bend? won't freeze?) Did you check it?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
. . . and in the worst weather you can always lower the roof and still sleep and use all of the indoor amenities.

Softsided lifting sections have some obvious shortcomings compared to hardsided alternatives, but the ability to pick out any position for the roof between full open and full closed is kind of cool. In my XV-JP, for example,

P1010747.jpg

I can have the top fully extended for maximum volume, with the windows open (or with the side sections dropped entirely, if you want) for ventilation in warmer temperatures. When it starts to cool off, I can make the cabin easier to heat by dropping the roof part way, so that you still have enough room to move around, but less than half as much exposed fabric. Then, when I'm in bed, I can drop the roof all the way closed, thus having rigid, quiet and weatherproof cabin.

When I used the lifting roof early on, I realized it'd be pretty easy to make some rigid panels to replace the Gore-Tex soft sections. But after a few months of use, I decided I wouldn't want to give up the flexibility of being able to position the roof at all the different levels. I don't know for sure if the Earthcruiser has the same ability to stop at intermediate positions, but assuming it does, I'd argue that it's kind of a handy feature.

Building a rigid lifting roof section that comes down over the sides of the cabin is probably best, but also heavier, more failure-prone and probably an order of magnitude more difficult and costly than using fabric sections.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Cold weather

Thanks for your answer.

How does the folding mechanism withstand those harsh conditions? I mean, will it function OK? (won't bend? won't freeze?) Did you check it?

The canvas we use for the curtain is rated to -20 C and if you're inside using the heater then the canvas will be warm. We also use marine grade worm drive actuators that can push and pull several hundred kilograms (no problem with snow on the roof) so you can still raise and lower the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles