EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

gait

Explorer
if it helps ... I have 12v 300Ah large format (4 x prismatic cells) battery, 1160w of solar, original alternator in FG649 (I think 70A which occasionally puts about 50A into batteries). The solar is usually more than sufficient to provide for cooking with induction. Excess solar heats hot water. Diy BMS. Not unique. Peukert for LFP is near enough 1 (and the Trojan "loss" is not a loss, its available at lower current).

tommesch

RE:High output alternators on EC?

Thanks DZL,

I'm no EE or battery expert either. The system i have on the boat is a yanmar 2gm20 diesel that runs 2 HO alternators at this link: http://www.hdpsi.com/24HD Series Alternators/24HD Alternator.htm

The alternators are connected to these regulators: http://www.hdpsi.com/Regulators/10-170 & 175 Regulators.htm

I have 1 starting battery, charged by this system, and 2 banks as well. These are 4 6v batteries. 2 banks of 2 in series. 2 Trojans, an to older Interstate. There is a batt1 batt2 both off switch. I leave it on both but check each regularly. Both sit happy at 13.4v and combined they are still at 13.4v

The inverter/charger is a 1994 version of this: http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-sw-12v_newgen.aspx

Running the diesel charges all of the batteries. 5 minutes after startup the regulators are delivering 60 amps each if i'm over 1200 rpms. This enables me to run the cabin AC while under way. Running the diesel for an hour or 2 gets me enough power into the banks to run systems for 2 days without solar.

I'm not an EC owner, but its next on my list. The reason i ask the question is that, being a demanding American customer:), I want to be able to have more time with the AC on.

I heard you can get 3 batteries on an EC. I'd want as many Ah as possible. And I'd like to be able to charge them as quickly as possible without having to have a generator.

I saw in a video that EC has a lithium option. I don't know exactly what the they are installing. I hope is similar to this battery: http://www.mastervolt.com/products/li-ion/mli-ultra-12-2500/

I believe each one of these batteries has their own internal BMS to keep the cells equal. They may or may not be based on 18650 cells.

Now one thing i can't do with my system is choose if the HO alternators will be producing and delivering big power while driving. In an EC, yes, i would want that extra HP. Maybe there is a solution for that in the future.

To your other question, I can jump start off the house bank using external cables, its not hard wired....but there is a way the builder told me about but I don't remember the process. It starts off a crank if neccessary.

Thanks for the reply.

More thoughts?

While I am no battery expert or EE, I understand the basics of a Battery Management System (BMS), which I believe is important for a bank of house batteries. This is especially true when they are expensive lithium batteries on a 200k - 250k motorhome.

Since I am not sure which batteries you have in your boat or EC, I will pull these specs from the web:

A high quality 18650 cell should be charged and discharged around 1C for optimum life span (5,000 cycles +)

A high quality 18650 cell can be charged and discharged around 3C with a reduced lifespan (~3,000 cycles)

Tesla's Ludicrous Mode takes approximately 4C - 5C from the car's battery pack for short durations, but even this decreases battery life, as does completely charging or discharging your batteries. Tesla recommends stopping around 80% full and not going below 20% full. In their fancy $100K+ automobile, there is a very sophisticated BMS on board to handle all of these things.

If one were to take a Braille deep cycle lithium or make a custom pack using 18650 cells, I would suggest that you do some research on the parameters and capacities of that battery, whether or not a BMS is used. Let us say, for argument's sake, that you installed three of Braille's excellent i31D batteries (Group 31, Deep cycle) with 288 LAH. In theory, you would have 864 amp hours available, but HOW the battery is discharged will likely affect the results that you see.

How do you ensure that all three batteries are charged equally from your alternators? How do you ensure they are discharged evenly while using your heater, toaster, microwave, TV, etc.?

A deep cycle battery is often rated at 5H or 20H, for the 5 hour rate or 20 hour rate. Obviously, this means that you are discharging the battery over a 20 hour period, using relatively little power along the way. If you flip that around however, you would not want to spend 20 hours charging that battery back up. So, you must take both sides of the equation into consideration. If you had a pair of 150 amp alternators, running at peak power on a three hour drive, you would be able to charge your battery bank. This is basically a 1C rate, so you are not charging at high current, like a Tesla Super Charging Station does, for example. Any quality lithium cell should be able to take 1C, but check the specs for your batteries so you don't cook them.

Will the alternators only feed the house batteries? Will you have the ability to use to your house batteries to start your truck should your starting battery fail?

A popular Trojan deep cycle battery sees a loss of 40 amp hours if the battery is discharged over a five hour period (225Ah / 20h - 185Ah / 5h). So, I believe there is much more to answering your question that just connecting two additional alternators to a lithium battery pack, especially when lithium batteries and Earth Cruisers are quite pricey items for most people. It certainly seems doable if you have the space for three alternators and can spare the 5 - 6 HP it will take from your engine :D

gait

Explorer
not sure which aircon you use. The Aussie diy use 2kW split system inverter air conditioners, efficient ones need about 400w input, less when maintaining coolth.

gait

Explorer
just trying to reconcile possible energy requirement with requirement for big alternator output and even LFP have a limit to charge acceptance (albeit much greater than LA).

Bhoads

The website looks great; bright pictures, good information on the models, and a nice Q&A section. I also like the comments and pictures from current owners. It seemed easy enough to navigate and find what I wanted.

I’ll be checking back to read the news updates, I like reading the articles that are periodically posted, and I found your YouTube series quite good. I think those do a good job of explaining the great amount of thought and engineering that goes into your product.

I will be retiring in a few years, the Earthcruiser is high on my list!

Bill
Colorado USA

Ps, does the composting toilet option fit in the same space as the cassette toilet, and is the FXX model a new option? How much longer is it?

Last edited:
Very nice clear non cluttered look to the site. Fresh and modern. Models are well depicted.

Makes you want one! We 'likes' it.

One question though is the main difference between the EXP and FX model the pop-up roof as opposed to a fixed roof? I do not see any other obvious or significant differences between the two on the site.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Very nice clear non cluttered look to the site. Fresh and modern. Models are well depicted.

Makes you want one! We 'likes' it.

One question though is the main difference between the EXP and FX model the pop-up roof as opposed to a fixed roof? I do not see any other obvious or significant differences between the two on the site.

EXPandable
FiXed

Other than that the EXP has somewhat more fluid capacity - fuel, etc. At least from what I remember. FX can also be heavier, it's easy to pack all sorts of crap in it. Don't ask me how I know that.

G'day Bill,

Lance is under a truck so I thought I'd jump in, I'm another Aussie import!

Thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

The composting toilet, whilst using a different cradle does fit in that same space. The FXX is the newest of the EarthCruiser expedition vehicle line. The effective length of the vehicle (including spare tire) hasn't changed, we just bumped out the walls around the spare tire to create additional internal/external storage!

Thank you,
Anthony

Thanks Family Friendly!

Yes, the main difference is the pop-up roof. It allows it with the roof down to fit in a standard shipping container and with the roof up, gets you 360 degree views. It also achieves some gains in aerodynamics and stealth camping!

Thank you,
Anthony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier