Which Warn

WestBoundDave

Observer
Hello
Finally I might have enough money to get a winch onto my 120 Prado. I need a solid trustworthy winch which will be working when needed, and of which there are spare parts available now and in the next 10 years, and available worldwide (planning to do Siberia and central Asia one day). I intent to have this winch for rest of life of my car, which could be another 10-15 years (if not more , I hope). The winch will need to be used over and over again in extreme conditions (water crossing and mud tracks, steep uphills and downhills).

After long evaluation of all that is available, reading reviews and forums. I am looking into two winches Warn 9500 XP-S and Zeon 10S Platinum.
Seems like the Zeon might be tight fit, but I want to have the control box undertow the bonnet anyway, I am just bit uncomfortable about the wireless remote. What happens if it breaks or I lose it, expensive winch just a dead weight? Cannot find any info about using it with wired control.

Anyway, my question is, which of the two would you recommend (hopefully based on personal experience)

Thank you

David

AndrewP

Explorer
If what you say is reality, you likely want a Warn 8274. It's better in every way. But of the 2 you list, the 9.5 XP is a great winch.

Forget the wireless control for hard use and just hard wire it into your cab. That will be far more reliable and easier to reach.

An 8274 will survive this vehicle and the next oneand the next, and will likely last the rest of your life, not just your vehicle.

WestBoundDave

Observer
8274 was my first choice, unfortunately does not fit onto my bar without modifications which would void my insurance :-(.

toymaster

Explorer
From those two given your extreme usage I would go with the tried and true design of the Warn 9500 XP. I reviewed the warn material available and the Platinum does not give you an easy hard wired option. IMHO fancy add-on option are more vulnerable to Murphy's law.

On the topic of the style winch control, wireless is the most convenient option. In my personal rig I have hard wired controls and also carry a warn hand (wired) controller. The interior cab controls are more convenient and a time saver instead of having to dig through your gear for the controller but have their drawbacks in certain situation, situations that require you to watch how the cable is winding on the drum. It is on my to-do list to add wireless however, plan on keeping the in-cab controls. The 9500 XP gives you the option to easily add a wireless controller and still have the hard wire back-up.

WestBoundDave

Observer
Yes, I am leaning towards XP myself due to the fact that it has been around for a while, and the extra gadgets on Zeon introduce more points of failure. Good idea about the wiring options. Ideally one would want all three, wireless and wired remotes (just in case) and hardwired into cab as well.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Why not get a regular Zeon 10 and add a wireless control? That's what I did with my Zeon 8. Plugs right into the port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WestBoundDave

Observer
Problem is that due to the bull bar design, the clutch lever on Zeon10 would not be accessible unless I open the bonnet, that is why the remote clutch control.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Either a ZEON or a 9.5xp would be a great choice. The 9.5xp has been around for many years and is a true workhorse. It's part of our Ultimate Performance Series and has sealing. Our ZEON winches are also great units, however. If space is an issue, the 9.5xp may be a better option for you. The ZEON dimensions are different as the winch is symmetrical vs. offset. Both winches allow for the control box to be relocated, however. In addition, our wireless controller will work on both units.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a private message.

- Andy

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Just go with the Warn 9500 XP-S, IMHO all the "performance" stuff is unneeded. When you're winching you don't want to rush anyway; go slow, take the time to plug in, deal with the clutch, whatever. Get the weight range you need and use the money saved for the synthetic line.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Either a ZEON or a 9.5xp would be a great choice. The 9.5xp has been around for many years and is a true workhorse. It's part of our Ultimate Performance Series and has sealing. Our ZEON winches are also great units, however. If space is an issue, the 9.5xp may be a better option for you. The ZEON dimensions are different as the winch is symmetrical vs. offset. Both winches allow for the control box to be relocated, however. In addition, our wireless controller will work on both units.

- Andy
There is your answer. Warn told me to buy the 9.5XP for my particular application at the overland expo. 5 years and going strong. I went back to steel cable and suggest you do to if you plan on using it that much over 10 years. Synthetic breaks, melts and rots in the sun. It may be safer yada yada but the only other thing it does better is knock 20 lbs off of the nose.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I disagree with Stump. I've had synthetic on my Warn 12k for 15 years, most of the time sitting in the sun. Currently, its faded and still no issues. It is SO much easier to work with vs. cable. Just pulling it is super easy. Also I had huge issues with cable getting cross wrapped. I had a ton of bird cages and other kinks in the line. With synthetic, it isn't an issue.

If you plan on actually using your winch, go synthetic line for the simple fact it is easier to work with. When you are winching, anything to reduce issues is welcomed.

Either warn will be good and offer you good line speed. You don't want a super slow winch, because then your solenoids will burn out before you can finish winching (assuming full pull). I have that issue with my Warn 12k. So slow, the solenoids give out after a while.

Lucky j

Explorer
A wireless controler by warn is really plug and play. No wire to hook up.

I keep the wire controler deep in the jeep just in case, but have never used it in 3 years. There is a caddle that can be install anywhere in the cab, so no need for hard wired switch. So eazy to go in and out of the vehicule to watch how the line is behaving.

One draw back to synthetic line, if it brakes, and it will someday, and your winch in inside the body, it might be hard de reconect to the winch, tjey often snap at the drum.

WestBoundDave

Observer

- Andy

Thanks for the reply, however due to some unforeseen expenses, I will unfortunately have to look for a cheaper winch, which eventually will become my portable one (in a cradle) and once the finance gets better I will get warn.

WestBoundDave

Observer
There is your answer. Warn told me to buy the 9.5XP for my particular application at the overland expo. 5 years and going strong. I went back to steel cable and suggest you do to if you plan on using it that much over 10 years. Synthetic breaks, melts and rots in the sun. It may be safer yada yada but the only other thing it does better is knock 20 lbs off of the nose.

I believe that synthetic is the way to go if you are going solo, easier to manage, also you can fix it if it breaks, and after all you can take a spare coil. The only disadvantage I see is the fact that it is bit more maintenance heavy then a steel rope.

WestBoundDave

Observer
I disagree with Stump. I've had synthetic on my Warn 12k for 15 years, most of the time sitting in the sun. Currently, its faded and still no issues. It is SO much easier to work with vs. cable. Just pulling it is super easy. Also I had huge issues with cable getting cross wrapped. I had a ton of bird cages and other kinks in the line. With synthetic, it isn't an issue.

If you plan on actually using your winch, go synthetic line for the simple fact it is easier to work with. When you are winching, anything to reduce issues is welcomed.

Either warn will be good and offer you good line speed. You don't want a super slow winch, because then your solenoids will burn out before you can finish winching (assuming full pull). I have that issue with my Warn 12k. So slow, the solenoids give out after a while.

Ya, I agree with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles