Which Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components?

nicholastanguma

Los Angeles, San Francisco
Which brands make the best quality points ignition components? Points, condenser, everything. I don't necessarily reject Chinese manufactured parts, but I do necessarily reject crappy quality.

I don't want to use electronic ignition on my Type 4 engine anymore. The bus isn't a daily driver, so I'm not worried about convenience. Rather, I'd like to keep true to the mechanical soul of old aircooled technology that attracted me to old VWs in the first place.

All of my motorcycles are kickstart-only, and even use magnetos in place of batteries; I'd like to get my bus back in line with that purely mechanical aesthetic.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Standard ignition Blue Streak points. If you can't find Blue Streak then the regular Standard ignition points in the red box are good also. The rest are not worth the headache. Last set I bought came from Car Quest auto parts. Prepair to pay but as you may know the market is flooded with junk points and condensers. Even the Nappa Points are junk.

OSV

Adventurer
since it's vw you'll want bosch or possibly beru.

you'll need to know how to grease the rubbing block on the points with the proper hi-temp grease, how to set the gap on the points, and how to set the timing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online