My '10 Titan Pro-4X

bigskypylot

Explorer
And another picture I forgot that I had while I'm here. This was from a weekend trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park in May. This particular one was taken at a place called Cades Cove. Awesome area!

Where abouts in "middle" Tennessee?? I am temporarily over in Northeast Tennessee for the next 6 months or so.

thehops

Observer
Just a quick update for parts pending install on my build. I may have spent...a lot over this black friday weekend.

-CVT RTT (Mt Shasta Extended Summit)
-Frontrunner racks for cab, (eventual) camper shell, and tent mounts, water storage/mounts, fuel cans/mounts
-Lights (LED headlight bulbs, 20 inch amber/white bar for grille, two 3 inch amber/white cubes for hood, 40 inch amber/white for front of roof rack, three 10 inch white floods for the left, right, and rear of the roof rack)

It definitely set me back a fair bit, which sucks, but it feels good to have made such a large amount of progress towards the build in one shot. Once I get back home (in a little under a month) I'll have quite a bit of work to do installing everything I've purchased since I've been gone.

Things still on the to-do list, in tentative order: Reinforced camper shell (A.R.E. CX or Leer 100RCC), tiregate swap, hi-lift, charging system upgrade (I'd like dual batteries, with a H/O alternator, split charge system and a big-3 kit), fab fours rear bumper, OBA system, solar system, aftermarket hood, a complete LED swap (turn signals, tail/brake and reverse left to go) and repainting various pieces.

After that, I'm "done!" At least, until I'm out on an expedition and I discover there is something else I could use. It's likely this will be a never ending build, but at least all of the expensive and labor intensive stuff will be wrapped up.

thehops

Observer
Still chipping away at the build. I'm still hoping to have things more or less wrapped up so that I can have my first major outing by late spring/early summer.

The main thing holding me up is that I'm still trying to find a suitable reinforced camper shell so I can mount my racks, tent, and the remainder of my lights. I have my racks preassembled with an axe/shovel mount, three 10" white light bars for illuminating the sides and rear, and a front facing 40" amber/white bar with a flip down rock shield. Rack parts pending install are the tent mounts, the tent, flat maxtrax mounting brackets, a 45L water tank with mount, and 40L (x2 20L cans) of spare fuel with mount.

Since my last update I was able to install:
-ICONs on all four corners (no more lift spacers!)
-billet heim tie rod ends
-mesh grille with amber/white LED bar
-two amber/white LED pods mounted at the base of the windshield
-my fab fours front bumper (I found it at a great price secondhand so I sold off my Iron Cross...this thing is *much* sturdier all around, particularly for winching)
-I also did a full external LED bulb swap to maximize visibility (including the fogs/turns in the new bumper).

I also finally tracked down and fixed a longstanding 4wd issue (faulty wheel speed sensor)...and though it's not a "mod" per se, I can't even tell you how great it is to have reliable 4wd again after nearly two years of having intermittent issues. Later this week (weather permitting) I plan on finishing out the suspension in the rear end. I have a deaver leaf spring overload pack (to eliminate the rear lift blocks), reinforced adjustable rear shackles, and traction bars to put in.

Things still on the to-do list in the near future:
-find a solution to mount my full size spare (I'm debating between a utilitrack mount, or a skeleton style tailgate replacement that has a built in carrier)
-decide on an OBA setup
-upgrade my charging system, possibly with a dual setup with a high output alternator...at the very least, I just need a new battery
-possibly pick up a matching rear fab fours bumper, I need rear recovery points

One of these days I need to clean up the rig a bit and shoot some updated photos. For now though, this shot of the front end shows most of what I have recently done.

Attachments

• 0125171652s.jpg
    0125171652s.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 40

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
For on board air, I really am blown away with my Smitty Bilt Compressor. The bigger of the two is amazing ouput for the price. And they can be hardwired into the vehicle if you need.

thehops

Observer
For on board air, I really am blown away with my Smitty Bilt Compressor. The bigger of the two is amazing ouput for the price. And they can be hardwired into the vehicle if you need.

That's the route that I had been considering taking the most. It just seems like a small, neat and effective package. I was debating between that and a VIAIR setup, but I have heard great things on the ARB. It's not likely I'll ever need it for something like air tools, so I think it'd be great for airing up 35s and possibly running some lockers down the road.

Raven1629

Good to see another Titan on here and someone from TN. New to the forum and overseas for the time being, but trying to get ideas for my 2010 Titan 4x Pro.

thehops

Observer
Good to see another Titan on here and someone from TN. New to the forum and overseas for the time being, but trying to get ideas for my 2010 Titan 4x Pro.

Likewise! Are you from TN as well?

If you're on facebook, check out the group Rocky Top Titans. It's a great source of information. It started out as a group for Titans local to the southeast (and still has many people in the region) but it's nationwide now.

I'm fairly new to overland itself, but I know a fair bit when it comes to the Titan, as I do all of my own work/mods. If you need advice or information on something don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Nice Titan and a solid build! I have a 2011 SL and I kick myself repeatedly for not getting the PRO4X. I too would love to get front and rear Fab Fours bumpers, but am limited by my budget at the moment. Hopefully I get lucky like you in finding a gently used one.

Good luck with the rest of your build and I look forward to see what you do next. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehops

Observer
Nice Titan and a solid build! I have a 2011 SL and I kick myself repeatedly for not getting the PRO4X. I too would love to get front and rear Fab Fours bumpers, but am limited by my budget at the moment. Hopefully I get lucky like you in finding a gently used one.

Good luck with the rest of your build and I look forward to see what you do next. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0324171539.jpg0324171538a.jpg0324171541.jpg

Thanks! I really am a fan of the pro-4x. I've only had to use the locker twice, but it's nice to have one on hand from the factory. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I ordered the rear fab fours so I'm waiting for that to come in. After that I'll be modifying it to fit the factory backup sensors, then I'll be taking it to get line-xd along with my front bumper.

I also decided to upgrade the tires. I went with the more aggressive Cooper STT Pros in 305/70R18.

Things are coming along!

docsimple

Observer
Been saving up for a Titan for a while now, hope to be getting an older 4x4 soon. I "pre-purchased" the CVT Shasta and will get a test run of that soon. It will be on a (don't laugh) Hyundai Santa Fe. Heading out to Oregon's coast range for some fishing and really looking forward to not sleeping on the ground! I plan to mount the tent over the bed just using crossbeams with room underneath for storage. Only way it will fit in my garage.
Anyway I would love some pics of the CVT on your rig - something to show the wife and get her excited.
Thanks for the inspiration!

thehops

Observer
I was looking at those tires the other day. Let us know how they perform and sound

I've only had them on for about 2 weeks, but I love them so far! I ran through my first tank with them and, oddly enough, saw hardly any drop in mpg. Strangely enough, I actually saw a .4 mpg increase over my last tank on the KO2s, though I'm not sure if that was a fluke or not.

So far, so good though! Even on road they run very smooth. They do have the characteristic M/T hum, but it is significantly quieter than M/Ts I have experienced in the past. I haven't had a chance to really test them offroad just yet, but soon.

Been saving up for a Titan for a while now, hope to be getting an older 4x4 soon. I "pre-purchased" the CVT Shasta and will get a test run of that soon. It will be on a (don't laugh) Hyundai Santa Fe. Heading out to Oregon's coast range for some fishing and really looking forward to not sleeping on the ground! I plan to mount the tent over the bed just using crossbeams with room underneath for storage. Only way it will fit in my garage.
Anyway I would love some pics of the CVT on your rig - something to show the wife and get her excited.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Honestly I love the Santa Fe! Great vehicles. Reliable and very economic. It should make for a nice trip.

Loving my Titan though. I should *finally* have my camper shell within 2 weeks, as it's been about a week and a half since I ordered it and it was quoted as being a 3 week turnaround. I went with a Leer 100RCC with the reinforced roof with roof tracks, with side sliding windoors, and a tilt-down front slider. I really wanted the Leer Locker, but I just couldn't justify the price for an extra $750, when I have plenty of space to store recovery gear under the rear seat.

I'll be sure to post up pictures once I have it on, and my racks mounted. I'll probably be test-fitting the tent on one of the first nice days we have after it arrives.

docsimple

Observer
The Santa Fe was a champ, driving with the CVT was very easy. The tent was easy to setup and breakdown and very waterproof in the rain, hail, snow we got. I will say it's a very cold tent, lots of openings to allow cold air and bugs in. Something to think about when setting up your rig.
Forgot to take pics, was to busy fishing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles