My '10 Titan Pro-4X

thehops

Observer
The Santa Fe was a champ, driving with the CVT was very easy. The tent was easy to setup and breakdown and very waterproof in the rain, hail, snow we got. I will say it's a very cold tent, lots of openings to allow cold air and bugs in. Something to think about when setting up your rig.
Forgot to take pics, was to busy fishing!

Nice! Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like a great trip.

That's good to know about the tent. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, as mine is also the Mt Shasta (Summit). Everything seemed sealed up fairly well, and in the couple of test setups I did the tent seemed warm if anything, but it was only in the mid 50s.

I can't wait to get everything rigged up though. My camper shell should be here before the end of next week!

thehops

Observer
Progress is coming along with the build. I *finally* ended up getting my shell in. I went with the Leer 100RCC, with factory installed tracks and the reinforced roof. It also has a removable tilt-down front slider, sliding windoor sides, and cargo hooks in the ceiling. Other than a few small (in the grand scheme) nagging design flaws, I love it. I took a handful of pictures over the last couple days so I have some current ones.

Projects still remaining (tentative order pending any sales or craigslist finds):

1. Come up with track nuts to anchor and mount my racks
2. Wire up all of my LEDs once the racks are installed
3. Find a full size tire carrier (most likely in-bed mounted to utilitrack)
4. New battery and setup of a power distribution block to accommodate all of the new electronics
5. Modify (to accommodate sensor holes), paint, and mount my fab fours rear bumper
6. Finalize my rear suspension with the parts I have waiting in my garage (overload leaf pack, new ubolts, heavy duty shackles, traction bars)
7. Acquire and mount/wire an OBA system
8. Come up with a plan for installing an in-cab inverter (most likely a 1500W)
9. Big-3 upgrade/grounding kit (more for peace of mind than anything else really, with all the electronics I have onboard)
10. Finalize paint scheme (quite a few parts that need some line-x lovin' eventually)

It seems like a lot, but honestly probably half of that list is more of a time commitment than anything else, such as the rear suspension and wiring.

I have several things on the other side of the horizon that I'd like to get to eventually, but the 10 items above will wrap up the core of my build. I'm still hoping to take my first major expedition early summer, so I have some work to do

0428170935_1493407735895.jpg0426170940_HDR_1493407797896.jpg0426170937_1493407867343.jpg0428170936_1493407825832.jpg

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
If you disconnect the wiring harness to the back up sensors, then you don't have them going off all the time with dirt, ice, bikes, or whatever happens to be behind you.

docsimple

Observer
I'm picking up my Titan on Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows where to get some crossbeams to go over the bed to support my RTT. Not the kind that stick way up but just across the top of the bed if I am making sense. I don't do welding so I am stuck with buying something pre-made.

I will also create a new thread but doesnt seem to be to many Titan owners on here :(

thehops

Observer
I'm picking up my Titan on Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows where to get some crossbeams to go over the bed to support my RTT. Not the kind that stick way up but just across the top of the bed if I am making sense. I don't do welding so I am stuck with buying something pre-made.

I will also create a new thread but doesnt seem to be to many Titan owners on here :(

Sorry for the delayed response man. I know what you're talking about. Honestly I don't think I've seen any made specifically for the Titan. Frontrunner makes some "mid-rise" type universal ones I believe. Their products are great. It may be worth shooting them an email.

If your goal is low profile tent mounting, maybe something like the DiamondBack tonneaus would be up your alley. It's a folding tonneau cover, but has a load capacity well over what you would need to mount a RTT. You can load multiple ATVs across it, or mount up a RTT. I believe they offer accessories that basically mimic the mounting points of a roof rack. It's a bit expensive, but is very versatile.

It may not be what you're looking for, but maybe the idea will get the creative juices flowing.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer

I actually have 2 CC 4x4 Titans (well the 2010 is actually the wife's). I just traded my 2011 F250 for a 2015 Pro 4X. I haven't decided if I want to go truck mounted RTT or finish my trailer build though.

docsimple

Observer
thanks guys! A poster in my other thread recommended Inno and I found a nice rack setup for under $200, but I'm not sure if I trust it for 500 lbs or so...
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-racks/65A4841A0A0.aspx#customerReviewsSection

and here is my girl, Big Red (I have three red vehicles small, medium and big):

qX37zIr.jpg

and doing my best cowboy imitation:
OYITXJ6.jpg

thehops

Observer
I actually have 2 CC 4x4 Titans (well the 2010 is actually the wife's). I just traded my 2011 F250 for a 2015 Pro 4X. I haven't decided if I want to go truck mounted RTT or finish my trailer build though.

Nice. If I had the budget, I would love to mod out a small trailer to mount a RTT on and go with the best of both worlds. I just like the idea of being able to detach the trailer and drive off if need be, instead of having to pick up camp in order to make a run down the mountain.

thanks guys! A poster in my other thread recommended Inno and I found a nice rack setup for under $200, but I'm not sure if I trust it for 500 lbs or so...
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-racks/65A4841A0A0.aspx#customerReviewsSection

and here is my girl, Big Red (I have three red vehicles small, medium and big):

qX37zIr.jpg

and doing my best cowboy imitation:
OYITXJ6.jpg

Looks great man! And I'm glad you found a solution. The parts look to be pretty good quality. It might not hurt to send the manufacturer a quick email though just to verify the weight limits.

docsimple

Observer
inno's website is pretty terrible. Can't find a support email/phone number but the equivalent Yakima rack is on sale at REI so I think I will go that route. Hope my 20% off coupon is still valid :)

It looks like truck bed width is about 80" and the longest bars are 78", i'm wondering if they are measuring the outside edges of the bed or if those bars just are not long enough... I suppose I could just get some round steel stock and cut to length...

thehops

Observer
I was finally able to get my rear rack mounted yesterday. I was in the zone, so I also decided to test fit my RTT! Everything lined up perfectly.

I'm using factory installed Thule tracks on the camper shell, with Thule track nuts, with the frontrunner slimline II tray mounted on top.

I'm just waiting for my front tracks (42 inch Thule) to come off of backorder. Once I get those bolted up, the front rack will go on, along with the remainder of my LED lighting setup. Can't wait!

Attachments

• org_774272e689d9faa1_1495752143000.jpg
    org_774272e689d9faa1_1495752143000.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 31
  • org_9d3e94d45dc08f1f_1495752207000.jpg
    org_9d3e94d45dc08f1f_1495752207000.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 18700057_10155187066941977_467720861742486082_n.jpg
    18700057_10155187066941977_467720861742486082_n.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 26

thehops

Observer
that looks amazing and makes me feel puny ;)

pgwDktS.jpg

Haha thanks man. Your setup looks great though! Digging the trailer too. I wouldn't mind a small one myself to trailer my motorcycle out with me to the field. Or maybe one of those hitch mounted carriers. I may need to look in to that...

thehops

Observer
This past weekend I was finally able to get out for a quick trip to test out the fruits of my labor. Granted, it wasn't anything too intense, as it was at an actual campground, but it at least let me learn about my gear (and figure out what gear I still needed) in a fairly controlled environment, which is very important in my opinion. I also had a +1 along that didn't really want to "rough it" too much, so we compromised.

We spent 3 days and 2 nights in the mountains off of the Blue Ridge Parkway a bit south of Asheville (we stayed Friday night and Saturday morning in Asheville to check out the city). It was predominantly wet, yet mild, but the weather did break for a few great photo opportunities. Unfortunately, being within the boundaries of a national park with protected wildlife my drone footage is limited, but I did what I could.

Only a small percentage of our time driving was spent off road on unimproved mountain roads, but the truck performed perfectly.

As far as expedition/overland gear, my setup consisted of:

-CVT Mt Shasta Extended Summit Series/Stargazer RTT with an Exped MegaMat Duo mattress inside.
-The tent was mounted to a Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack, which was mounted to factory Thule tracks on my Leer 100RCC topper. Rack had an axe and shovel mount. The shovel came in handy quite often, as I brought firewood with me.
-Kitchen consisted of a Coleman collapsible table/utensil rack, GSI outdoors cookset, GSI outdoors utensil set, and a cheap loaner wal-mart grill (I have yet to order my camp chef). 20 gallons of spare water were carried in GSI outdoors collapsible water bladders.
-I elected not to bring my 10 gallons of spare fuel because I don't have my front rack installed yet (hopefully by next week!) and we weren't going too far off the grid. Once we hit the mountains my tank didn't drop below about 3/8th.

I know this post is fairly useless without pictures...but I wanted to drop a quick update while I was thinking about it. I will try to get pictures up today after work, or tomorrow!

Lastly (selfless plug) for any of y'all on instagram, feel free to check out my new page I will be using to photograph my travels (I already put a couple pictures up on there from this trip): @Omega_Overland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne