To roof rack or not?

vectorsc

Adventurer
I'm going on a moderate overland trip through the rockies, and wanted to get an opinion on a roof rack.

I have enough room in the g wagen to pack everything pretty much, but I don't like my hi-lift rattling around inside the cab, and I don't like having my fuel cans venting inside the whole trip.

I can get a roof rack today for it (Rhino rack is just up the road).

I am aware of the COG issues, but I don't know how drastic they would be with a few jerry cans, some cook stuff, etc. up there.

Setting the wisdom storage area to receive...

D

Deleted member 96197

Have you thought about a hitch mounted platform? If it's only a moderate trip, and you only have a few things you don't want inside (I NEVER store fuel inside) it might make for a good compromise?

vectorsc

Adventurer
I think...

I think my note that it's moderate might be a little...off?...compared to moderate in places that aren't the rocky mountains. Done so much rock crawling I might not understand what moderate means anymore. Moderate means I'll only need to use the hi lift and winch if I screw it up, and not something I selected the obstacle to need on purpose...

I know for a fact a hitch mount platform is going on vacation without me at this level of moderate. And I will be leaving more finish damage on my front bumper from this trip.
My core worry is that its too hardcore for a roof rack. It will be exactly at the edge of what is possible with 33" tires.

Have you thought about a hitch mounted platform? If it's only a moderate trip, and you only have a few things you don't want inside (I NEVER store fuel inside) it might make for a good compromise?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Roof racks add leverage to your A, B and C pillars during a roll collapsing your roof faster so unless you have a cage or stay on dirt roads then don't do it. If I slide my passenger seat forward and lift out my rear seat my jack goes right under the front seat. You can take them apart or trim a few inches off them to fit them where you never thought possible. It keeps the weight low. A military scepter can with a good flange and viton seal can be used as a pillow. They don't leak a single fume. Throw one inside but there are not many places in America that you need spare gas. A rig will run all day at slow off road speeds on a tank of gas. When you get tipsy drop all of the windows. Glass is heavy and dropping that weight helps a bit. I've been passenger in 3 bad jeep rollovers with experianced drivers, flopped a CJ on its side and rolled the desert buggy my self. Your CG concern is quite valid. Rolls happen out of nowhere and are not an option in mountains.

toymaster

Explorer
Not sharing what exact vehicle you have is handicapping the discussion. In general, the drawbacks of a roof storage system is higher COG (that you mentioned), increased wind resistance and noise, clearance issues in wooded areas, and hassles for the vertically challenged. Of course, some would say short people got no reason to live but that is a different topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

My personal belief is different tools for different tasks. If the benefits outweigh the drawbacks then go for it. I have a roof rack on my trailer but it is out of the slip stream, it's lower than the tow vehicle so all the drawbacks previously mentioned are negated. If you have an SUV and just want to store your hi-lift and fuel cans outside then I'd be looking at rear bumper/swing arm mounts, something that will not drastically reduce your departure angle.

If you do decide on a roof storage system I'd look at the rhino-rack pioneer platform. Low profile and if you use a front wind deflector should only reduce fuel economy marginally when not in use.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I always try to avoid roof gear if I can. Especially with long pavement stretches. The trips without always seem more enjoyable, lower noise, better mileage, no security quickie theft worries etc.

There was a great thread a while back discussing how often folks found they needed the Hilift jack. It was really interesting. My takeaway was 99.995% of the time it was never really needed. Couple of good straps, nice bottle jack with a couple of good wood blocks was a nice alternative in most cases.

Rock crawling Rubicon style trip a highlift for sure I would want one in the group.

vectorsc

Adventurer
THe truck is a mercedes g-wagon. Sorry - missed that detail up there.

This truck is only used for offroading for the most part- almost no highway travel. And my trip is going to be all trail roads and such and hardly any highway.

I have decided no on the roof rack for now. I have viton sealed MFC's, so i'm just going to go all internal for now. Fuel economy on the G-wagon is insulting so I don't want to be stuck without the needful.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
THe truck is a mercedes g-wagon. Sorry - missed that detail up there.

This truck is only used for offroading for the most part- almost no highway travel. And my trip is going to be all trail roads and such and hardly any highway.

I have decided no on the roof rack for now. I have viton sealed MFC's, so i'm just going to go all internal for now. Fuel economy on the G-wagon is insulting so I don't want to be stuck without the needful.
For inside vehicle use the flange in the cap has to be perfect. If the ring is gone or cracking loose then that's the first sign. Look them over for little spider cracks as well. Worth double checking or bringing spare cap for a long trip. Smash the air out of the can before you go to high in elevation. Have fun! I'll be in CO an NM in a few weeks and can't wait.

vectorsc

Adventurer
Well, im halfway through my trip. There were a lot of good roads on this trip. By good roads i mean i had to cut out fallen trees, use a shovel to make some of them passable, and the signs indicated "no emergency services under any circumstances..."

I think my favorite was the no roads bits. Especially above tree line. I consider the g wagen with some light mods to be quite the excellent overlander.

I know that a roof rack of 200lbs total weight would have taken me over the edge in a few places...thankfully my screaming children and careful packing of the rear bay kept the COG low.

And some bad roads too...pavement. yuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior