15' Silverado build

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
4.7 labor is steep, but you do have to have the inner door trim panels off, and the harness replaces the entire door harness both sides.

ill probably be buying a set soon, hard to swallow the price.

the mirrors will work (everything but the led and signals) if you use your stock harness. its plug and play, just no lights.

another option is early 2015 2500/3500 mirrors, they are old style (like 07-13), but they fit the '14-16s properly.

Ds4x4

Observer
4.7 labor is steep, but you do have to have the inner door trim panels off, and the harness replaces the entire door harness both sides.

ill probably be buying a set soon, hard to swallow the price.

the mirrors will work (everything but the led and signals) if you use your stock harness. its plug and play, just no lights.

another option is early 2015 2500/3500 mirrors, they are old style (like 07-13), but they fit the '14-16s properly.
Especially at $110/hr for labor.
But when I go that route I just don't know if I want to mess with taking the door panels off. My jeep, heck id take the whole thing apart, new truck a lottle more hesitant. The service manager has been pretty good to me when I bought the truck so hopefully i can wiggle in with a cheaper price when the time comes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
fyi, the door panel does need to come and the black plastic garnish around the window frame just to change the mirror, unlike the older 88-06 trucks where you can unclip the mirror cover and unplug right there. The 07-13 have access to the mirror, but the door panel needs to be removed to route and plug the wiring.

a guy with experience can have your truck done, harnesses changed, etc in less than an hour a side. Maybe try and get them to do it for 2.0?

I believe the price i got on the black mirrors, with two harnesses was $845 canadian, but i do work in the bodyshop at the dealership. They should be able to discount the parts for you more than the price you show. especially if you are also getting them installed there.

Ds4x4

Observer
fyi, the door panel does need to come and the black plastic garnish around the window frame just to change the mirror, unlike the older 88-06 trucks where you can unclip the mirror cover and unplug right there. The 07-13 have access to the mirror, but the door panel needs to be removed to route and plug the wiring.

a guy with experience can have your truck done, harnesses changed, etc in less than an hour a side. Maybe try and get them to do it for 2.0?

I believe the price i got on the black mirrors, with two harnesses was $845 canadian, but i do work in the bodyshop at the dealership. They should be able to discount the parts for you more than the price you show. especially if you are also getting them installed there.

Im sure they would, he said the $625 for the mirrors was list price and not even their (lower) price. Good info to know that the door panels do need to come off. I guess the cameras are sorta an option too, they'll let someone retain the sport mirrors. Another Tidbit I gathered yesterday while talking about the dual batteries. I asked him about buying a 170Amp Alternator thats on the SSV sliverado (police version)... Apparently no matter what size Amperage you put on, it will only put out what the computer tells it too due to the "Smart" charging system. So if the computer is programmed for 150amp, a 220amp will still only produce a max of 150amps without a flash or reprogramming. Sounded like most Chevy dealers cant mess with those settings but the Computers like Diablo etc can possibly change those settings. Ive never used a programmer so no knowledge here.

the short version of all that, you can upgrade to a higher amp alt and not damage the power system but without a computer flash its pointless.

The ARE cap went back to Ohio today and I emailed Frontrunner about a rack (thanks wrmmt for the suggestion).

rayra

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't be too concerned about the motor, it's little different from the 5.3 vortecs. 4.8L LR4, isn't it? Part of the Gen3 vortec line anyway. Shouldn't be any premium on straight up mechanical work on it. Or did I miss a reference to aftermarket performance product availability?

Ds4x4

Observer
I wouldn't be too concerned about the motor, it's little different from the 5.3 vortecs. 4.8L LR4, isn't it? Part of the Gen3 vortec line anyway. Shouldn't be any premium on straight up mechanical work on it. Or did I miss a reference to aftermarket performance product availability?
Im not sure what your comment is in reference to..?

No real progress other than planning/gathering of parts going on at the moment. Had an awesome time at Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival this weekend and met a ton of people with all sorts of life stories. One of those people with great advice was Scott Brady himself, probably the most laid back person i've ever met.
Scott's Tire presentation
20160813_122054.jpg

I am still waiting on my cap to return from ARE so i can do a cardboard mock-up of the Frontrunner rack and finish up the order with Bryan from Frontrunner. The RC 2.5" kit is here as well but i haven't had time to install it and letting my hand heal a little more, hoping for this weekend to install it. Also, juggling the idea of using the Blue Sea ACR relay with manual control or just going with the national Luna kit for the dual battery.

The parts guy at Hampton Chevy has been on point as well, he is researching the additional AUX switch panel for me to swtich out with my stock switches. I should be able to add 3 or 4 additional switches through a relay or low voltage in the stock location. I'll post up the part numbers and how to when it comes.

sweetgrass

Looking forward to more updates on this build, as we have the same truck except the color, mine is "Deep Ocean Blue".

So far I've swapped out the GM spec'ed Ranchos for the Rancho leveling kit that uses a pair of loaded RS9000XL's with 8 point adjustment as well as a set of RS9000XL's in the rear. I chose this route for ease of installation, and its an actual suspension leveling lift up front instead of spacers. I've also installed the American Racing AR969 Ansen Off Road 17" wheels with an offset as close to stock as I could get, but cant remember the actual offset at the moment. The tires I went with are the Cooper Discoverer MTP, a little noisy, but they look good and they didnt break the bank. On order is a Leer 100R with the Thule Track II rail system as a factory installed option.

I'm new to this 4 wheel version of the overlander gig, but I've been doing the two wheel version for almost two decades. However after a really bad dirt bike accident on 06/25/16, of which I am still recovering from, I've decided to pursue an activity thats not quite as risky. The build is early, but I've already learned a lot in the few days that I've been on this site.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Did yours come with the 2x AC and 2x Cig outlet plugs standard? I have seen the 4 port AUX switches over on gm-trucks.com. Let me know how you make out with the mod and total cost, i am thinking about doing that myself.

Good info on the alternator as well, thanks! I have a dual battery setup and was considering upping the alternator at a later point when i added more gear but now see that would be pointless.

Ds4x4

Observer
Looking forward to more updates on this build, as we have the same truck except the color, mine is "Deep Ocean Blue".

So far I've swapped out the GM spec'ed Ranchos for the Rancho leveling kit that uses a pair of loaded RS9000XL's with 8 point adjustment as well as a set of RS9000XL's in the rear. I chose this route for ease of installation, and its an actual suspension leveling lift up front instead of spacers. I've also installed the American Racing AR969 Ansen Off Road 17" wheels with an offset as close to stock as I could get, but cant remember the actual offset at the moment. The tires I went with are the Cooper Discoverer MTP, a little noisy, but they look good and they didnt break the bank. On order is a Leer 100R with the Thule Track II rail system as a factory installed option.

I'm new to this 4 wheel version of the overlander gig, but I've been doing the two wheel version for almost two decades. However after a really bad dirt bike accident on 06/25/16, of which I am still recovering from, I've decided to pursue an activity thats not quite as risky. The build is early, but I've already learned a lot in the few days that I've been on this site.
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you have a speedy recovery. I know waiting for my hand to heal has been a PITA, i cant imagine having more than that going on. I want to say the stock wheels are a 0 offset and i just saw a lifted 16' with a 5.7" backspace running 33/12.50 with a 6" lift. I did meet a retired coastie this weekend at MOAF who has an 11' silverado and runs 34x10.50 with a leveling kit and stock rims, no issues but tire selection is limited. I really just went cheap on getting the lift for now since i know i most likley will upgrade the coilovers later, im just trying to swing alot of new stuff on the truck by expo east and buy the wife 35's for her JKU
I'll be looking forward to watching your build as well.

Did yours come with the 2x AC and 2x Cig outlet plugs standard? I have seen the 4 port AUX switches over on gm-trucks.com. Let me know how you make out with the mod and total cost, i am thinking about doing that myself.

Good info on the alternator as well, thanks! I have a dual battery setup and was considering upping the alternator at a later point when i added more gear but now see that would be pointless.

it's actually 1- 110v outlet, 2- DC plugs and a 3bank of USB ports on the Left.

It's looking like the actual switches are around $79 for a 6 bank and $85ish for the 7 bank. it takes a little bit of research to get the correct switches, I have the traction/rear light&bed leds/Hill Descent controls. So he has to find the combo of those three switches with a bank of spare switches. now the down side, 1- the connectors are 50-60 $$'s per switch, but they work with the Battery Control Module - a GM-Upfitter would have to install their own module for. 2- they are low power switches only, so no high amp items right off the switch. I will probably run all lights from them or use a relay block with fuses to run other items. I really do like clean installs and im looking forward to hooking these up

sweetgrass

DS4x4, I do want to express my deepest gratitude for the job you guys do. I was in a remote area when I crashed, and laid in a contorted position for an hour and a half until the EMT got there due to the fact that I blew out my left hip socket when I hit a pine tree at 40+mph. When the EMT got there, they did an amazing job evaluating my condition, stabilizing me, and making me as comfortable as possible, Then transporting me out of the forest, to the ambulance, then the helicopter, and everyone of those involved, except for the chief were volunteers.

I know this is completely off topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for the job you guys do, and hope you're back at 100% before long!

Last edited:

swrider

Observer
im going to look into it for sure. thanks for the link.

Ill be discussing some of the other modifications this week as well. unfortunately actual progress will be slow into august since this busted hand is keeping me from working any extra hours. Its actually preventing me from doing alot of things including wrenching. Then putting new tires on the wifes jeep is taking some cash out of the truck pile as well, dang those 35's aint cheap. hopefully ill get my hand back and get the camper sold in short time. Tomorrow should be interesting, i hope to have quite the conversation with A.R.E.

Im loving your thread, mainly because i recently picked up a stock '14 Z71. My first 4x4 and loving it. The 265's seem plenty big, but maybe 33's would be better when the time comes???
I saw that you went with a camper shell, but have you thought about installing a rack on the bed for the rtt???
This is the route i am planning on, as soon as i find a rack that i like, doesn't seem to be many options out there. Especially since i don't want my rtt to stick up over the cab like it does with the vamper shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ds4x4

Observer
DS4x4, I do want to express my deepest gratitude for the job you guys do. I was in a remote area when I crashed, and laid in a contorted position for an hour and a half until the EMT got there due to the fact that I blew out my left hip socket when I hit a pine tree at 40+mph. When the EMT got there, they did an amazing job evaluating my condition, stabilizing me, and making me as comfortable as possible, Then transporting me out of the forest, to the ambulance, then the helicopter, and everyone of those involved, except for the chief were volunteers.

I know this is completely off topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for the job you guys do, and hope you're back at 100% before long!

Thanks for the kind comments, this is a thankless job and while we dont do it for accolades, the thank yous' and hugs from people make it worth all the sacrifice.

Im loving your thread, mainly because i recently picked up a stock '14 Z71. My first 4x4 and loving it. The 265's seem plenty big, but maybe 33's would be better when the time comes???
I saw that you went with a camper shell, but have you thought about installing a rack on the bed for the rtt???
This is the route i am planning on, as soon as i find a rack that i like, doesn't seem to be many options out there. Especially since i don't want my rtt to stick up over the cab like it does with the vamper shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally overlanding was not in the plans, I think I would have went with a Power Wagon if i had known, and i was always a chrysler fan. I originally got the cap because its much easier and secure to transport my RC planes with the top on. It's just a little sketchy to drive 75mph with objects designed to fly in an open bed, this also lets me ignore incoming weather as i can stash the planes pretty quick. In saying that, just prior to ordering the cap I did check out some bed racks and if i was not using the bed more than I am now i would have gotten one for sure. They seem super versatile, can store multiple things with ease and yes keep that RTT outta the slipstream. Dont forget about keeping that COG low too.

I think Yakima has a rack and maybe bajaracks is one of the other companies i saw that had ones for chevy's. outside of that you may need to get custom.

Ds4x4

Observer
Going back and forth with Bryan at frontrunner has been good progress except that little part where I don't actually have my cap at this time. So needless to say that it's hard to answer specific questions about how we are going to mount the rack, rack size and so forth.. also a quick chat with Yakima resulted in the "That's not our rack and I have no idea who could have made it" after I sent a picture. Joyfully, A.R.E is near impossible to get ahold of other than a dealer. Maybe I'll have an update on that tomorrow.

By the way does anyone know what the heck the business card Holder is for under the power outlets in this thing? Works great for holding my cellphone.
e487ca2d49addb26c0891c4c8a1aa317.jpg

Also a little pic of current factory power situation and there's more in the center console.
21e954bbc3000fcdfb70bd01955880dd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ds4x4

Observer
Not too much of an update. Still figuring out the switches with the dealership to see what will or wont work. A month into having returned the cap and I find out today that they are building a whole new cap, so I hope to have it back soon. As soon as the cap returns I can get to ordering the Frontrunner rack. Things should ramp up leading into Expo East, our tickets are already bought and we are looking forward to it. I would be further along in the process but my wife and I decided to get in on a Costa Rica trip (flying, not driving) in november, hoping to do a little exploring. We will be taking out the JKU to George Washington forest here soon for a 3 day weekend.

More to come soon I hope!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke