15' Silverado build

swrider

Observer
lurking around multiple sites checking out reviews here and there. im running into the issue that i grew up in the jeep world and lifting a pickup is plenty different than at least the older jeeps. around 10 years ago when i was doing my lift on my grand we considered the ICONs to be a level more than an actual lift, great for regaining the height lost from heavy bumpers and winches but not your sole lift. needless to say im still looking into them.

the 6" is getting further and further away from a possibility, im thinking the style of driving we are going to do is going to put some of the cross-member drops and torsion bar kits into harms way and create hang up point under the truck. not to mention the idea of switching out 35's every 35k miles or so isn't pleasing. 6" also puts driveline angles into question.. If im wrong on my assumptions feel free to school me.

I did pick up a nifty deflater yesterday made by ARB. View attachment 357598 Very convenient, works better then the other style i had. this one removed and holds the valve stem to let out a larger volume of air then just depressing the valve could handle. Id estimate it took about 20seconds or so to go from 38psi to 28psi on the wifes 35's.

Sorry for the newb question, but what is this???
I saw it a bit aga and still not sure what it does...

Ds4x4

Observer
Sorry for the newb question, but what is this???
I saw it a bit aga and still not sure what it does...
This awesome little device is a tire pressure gauge that screws onto the stem and you remove the valve core to air down. It keeps the core held inside so you can't lose it and makes airing down much quicker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

swrider

Observer
This awesome little device is a tire pressure gauge that screws onto the stem and you remove the valve core to air down. It keeps the core held inside so you can't lose it and makes airing down much quicker.

That would make it a nice little device to have around. On a related question; I've seen some rigs with big tanks of C02 or air. is this used to put air back into the tires???

Ds4x4

Observer
That would make it a nice little device to have around. On a related question; I've seen some rigs with big tanks of C02 or air. is this used to put air back into the tires???
Yes. Just think of them as a big paintball co2 tank with an air Chuck. Instead of using normal air they are filled with straight co2 and no need for a compressor/moving parts or power. The theory with co2 or nitrogen in tires relates to expansion ratios due to temperature variations and some say that you may be less likely to lose air through any micro cracks since the molecule size is different than normal air.

Hope that wasn't too confusing or incorrect if someone has better info

Ds4x4

Observer
A little fun today.. airtools are you friend but I sadly don't own any.. on the list for sure..
e6438e3fb5984349986bddeb087a0e46.jpg

bb12867611a98fb0637b734bd6265c37.jpg

f32fd7d39f914d039cf4766772db9d68.jpg

Off for an alignment check in the AM. Can't wait to see it with the cap back on it

Here's the tourqe specs for those that may follow
1c0d34137d462164e431809acab5778e.jpg

Ds4x4

Observer
Another not to crazy of an update. Still waiting on my cap to return, supposedly it will be here this week. If not it looks like I'll be taking my business elsewhere. Bought some cooking supplies today and ordered some more from amazon for the expo trip.

Nothing else has been accomplished since a good chunk involves the cap itself. I'm thinking of mounting a twin 5lb propane bottle setup with a hose in the cap for those cold nights and then not need those little 1lb bottles.. more to come this week I hope and then some fun updates for the expo
40d5fdd8f90c855d52eb92fc9107c89f.jpg

Ds4x4

Observer
Finally the Cap returned today, im not happy with the little bit of work done to the cap and some of the original issues still remaining. Nothing like ARE having it for over a month and hardly do anything to it. I'll have to make a phone call tomorrow about it but I dont think that i can recommend ARE based on customer service alone.

the cross bars on the HD series caps are Proprietary ARE bars. They are not yakima, thule or anything else. The bars are also spaced just far enough apart to not allow a tent to go on top without a rack. Im pretty sure ill be ordering the Front Runner rack tomorrow, Maybe a 52"W x 69.4"L. potentially an awning as well though I have not decided on which size, 78" takes up the whole side of the cap and the next step down is in the 55' or shorter range but having some input would be great.

here is a couple pictures with measurements, First one is of the width.
20160726_121632.jpg Pass Rear.jpg

This is the length from the Front of the Forward bar to the rear bar.
Pass.jpg

And i'll have to think about lowering the bars a little due to the height
Height.jpg

And a last one of the mounting points to the rail.

Last edited:

Ds4x4

Observer
For those that dont know what makes the HD series HD... This is a CX HD series cap. Basically a CX cap that went to the commercial side to get a skeleton put in. Here are some pictures of the skeleton, The roof rack is tied into the Extruded Alum skeleton to disperse the weight to the bed rails. This gives it a load rating of 550lbs per ARE.

Last edited:

wrmmt

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about the topper, luckily the issues I have are pretty minor and not noticeable so I haven't tried to do anything about it. That story doesn't encourage me to do anything either... I went with the 55" CVT awning along the back of the topper above the door. Its a little small, but gives a good cover for the tailgate area for cooking and entry into the back. I wouldn't mind a little additional coverage, but can't (nor would I want to) go any bigger on the back. If you are going on the side I would go with the 79" unless there is something else you want to do with that area that the awning would interfere with.

cpabbey

Great photos and excellent info. I'm way behind you as I can't make up my mind on what truck I need for overlanding. I'm certainly interested in the Chevy.

Ds4x4

Observer
Sorry to hear about the topper, luckily the issues I have are pretty minor and not noticeable so I haven't tried to do anything about it. That story doesn't encourage me to do anything either... I went with the 55" CVT awning along the back of the topper above the door. Its a little small, but gives a good cover for the tailgate area for cooking and entry into the back. I wouldn't mind a little additional coverage, but can't (nor would I want to) go any bigger on the back. If you are going on the side I would go with the 79" unless there is something else you want to do with that area that the awning would interfere with.

Thanks for the info, i was thinking of getting the KingCamp on amazon for the rear its got an arched roof that hopefully will allow for the window to go all the way up. That will be a after expo deal. I did just buy one of the 79" awnings that is on the CVT trailer headed for the expo and a Mesh room that has to be shipped. Looking forward to the Rack getting here tomorrow for sure but buying it ate up the tent budget for this trip. I think we are looking pretty hard at the Summit Series for CVT since we might be encountering from Snowfall on trips northward. 23zero is on the list too, interested to see them.

I guess the big question is does anyone know where to get some of these metal pieces for the ARE cross bars? do they look familiar? I need to come up with a solution so i can mount the awning and the Rack in the channels if needed. Worst case i can just Grind down some thick washers and figure out how to tighten it down. i'll most likely order some security bolts once i return from Expo and figure out what im gunna need.

wrmmt

Adventurer
I guess the big question is does anyone know where to get some of these metal pieces for the ARE cross bars? do they look familiar? I need to come up with a solution so i can mount the awning and the Rack in the channels if needed. Worst case i can just Grind down some thick washers and figure out how to tighten it down. i'll most likely order some security bolts once i return from Expo and figure out what im gunna need.[/IMG][/URL]

When I got my frontrunner, I got it with the feet and they came with silver plates very similar to those in the first picture. Unfortunately, they were way to heavy duty for the Thule rails on my topper (side note, not impressed with the hardware that fits in those Thule rails, not sure I would trust a RTT up there the way it is now...). I ended up ordering some plates from Thule and got some bolts to fit locally. Unfortunately I can't comment on the ARE hardware, but I would assume it would be a similar situation. I think I ended up finding the part number I needed and then searching that online for somewhere that sells them. Doesn't really address your question to well, but about all I got!...

Ds4x4

Observer
Whoooooh! I've been patiently waiting for this to show up! Cant wait to see the fitment!

Let us know if you need anything!

-Bryan
Everything has gone smooth as butter till I got to actually mounting it... Apparently A.R.E. does not measure twice/cut once and the cross bars were not square, so I had to drill a new hole in the side rail of the rack and I just went to retrieve some bolts to secure it to the bars..

Almost there!!
7d598d2215532ec6c4e6ea8d4f8df0f8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online