"Our" trailer build

opie

Explorer
I started welding up mine. Its like the layout in a previous post, but welded up. haha.

CU is getting his tounge steel so we can get his finished up. Need to get his wheels bored out too so they fit on the idler hubs.

Im working on getting some idlers that arnet going to cost me an arm and a leg. Im working with a 6 on 5.5 lug set-up and finding those in a 3500# configuration to mount up on spindles that will fit into the square tube Ive got is becoming daunting. No one local has anything, what they can get costs more than I can find online, by a substantial amount. SO, looks like Ill be ordering my hubs and spindles.

opie

Explorer
OK, Got a little done tonight. I went and got my springs. Im an "OTS" kind of guy, so everything going into mine is being purchased local. The ONLY exception to that is my hubs and spindles.

I purchased 2 1750# spring packs. They measure 25" eye to eye and are 4 leaf packs. I then took the 2 shortest leaves out. I figure that will be a good starting point. If its to soft, Ill throw 1 leaf back in each. What brought everything to a halt tonight was I bought the wrong tie down plates for the springs. Oh well. I did have to make some spring perches. We are using square tube for our axles, but didnt want to drill a hole in the axle and have to worry about it being properly located. So a couple pieces of 2 x 1/4 flat, 3" long with a 37/64 hole drilled in the middle for the locating pin on the springs to be welded on the axle tube.

We should be able to about get CU's wrapped up tomorrow. Once he gets the centers on his wheels bored out, hes rolling. (by tomorrow, I hope.) That being said...B, youll have to find your own machinist. The guy I work with says he friend doesnt work for himself, he works for Demmer. So thats a "no go."

On with a few pics...

Up first if the spring perches. Buying a Drill Doctor was one of the best shop investments Ive ever made. Youll see why when I get to the pics of my "workbench."

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

opie

Explorer
Now..some random pics of my workshop.

Ive got no bench mounted or free standing tools. I have 2 4.5" angle grinders. One sports a grinding wheel and the other sports a cutting wheel. I also have a 7 1/4" circular saw that sports a cutting wheel as well. Then there is the Sawzall that I use for making quick clean cuts. That and a couple of speed squares are about it. And the welder of course.

The workbench. I need a longer ladder...

attachment.php

The welder..Lincoln 220 volt using .030 wire and 75/25 gas.

attachment.php

I made up an extension cord that I run through this old coal shoot into the laundry room and plug into the dryer outlet....

attachment.php

I did run a circuit into the garage large enough to plug the welder into. Right now its got a 120 outlet in it and that seems to work better than having it be dedicated to just a welder outlet.

opie

Explorer
Allright, pretty much got CU's frame done. Still need to mock up and build the storage area and deck it, but other than that, all it needs is an axle and something round, oh yeah and a coupler and shes ready to roll.

The last 2 pics are mock ups to get some final measurements.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

opie

Explorer
Believe it or not, I can actually pick it up and carry it. Its all I want and Im happy to set it back down, but so far its not TOO heavy.

Thanks.

IH8RDS

Explorer
Opie,

I am going to build a square tube axle too. Do you need to have a perch with square tube? Or the the surface area enough?
Thanks,
Scott

opie

Explorer
IH8RDS said:
Opie,

I am going to build a square tube axle too. Do you need to have a perch with square tube? Or the the surface area enough?
Thanks,
Scott

You dont need a perch.....in the same way you need one for a round tube.

You do, however, need to have a place for the round head on the spring bolt to go. So, plan on making a perch. I used a piece of 2 x 1/4 flat, 3" long, drilled a 37/64 (all I really needed was 9/16, but I didnt have one so I used the odd 37/64 that I did have) hole in the middle of it. All its for is a recess for the spring bolt. Its essentially a locating pin as well, to keep the spring pack located where it needs to be.

Have you started your project?

opie

Explorer
IH8RDS, I went out and took a close up of what my set-up looks like...

attachment.php

Also...what do you do when no one local sells the srping tie plate, but everyone sells the u-bolts for square tube? You make them..... I drilled 5 of these. It took me most of the afternoon. The first one, my template needed some adjustment so the first one I made had to get scraped. Luckily I got it right on the next one...Keep in mind, All im using is a hand drill and a speed square for layout and drilling.

attachment.php

opie

Explorer
Heres what kept my drilling from turning into an all day job and endless trips to get new bits...

attachment.php

I broke my 1/2" bit about mid way through my ordeal.....

attachment.php

My hand dandy Drill Dr. turned it back into a useable split point...

attachment.php

opie

Explorer
Did some finish work on CUs frame...Triangled the tounge and added the abilty for him to use a standard 2" insert on the rear of the trailer. This was as per his design.

The extendable tounge has a range of either 20" from the front crossmember up to Id say 5'. That would leave 1' of 2.5" square in the 3" square.

attachment.php

attachment.php

IH8RDS

Explorer
opie said:
You dont need a perch.....in the same way you need one for a round tube.

You do, however, need to have a place for the round head on the spring bolt to go. So, plan on making a perch. I used a piece of 2 x 1/4 flat, 3" long, drilled a 37/64 (all I really needed was 9/16, but I didnt have one so I used the odd 37/64 that I did have) hole in the middle of it. All its for is a recess for the spring bolt. Its essentially a locating pin as well, to keep the spring pack located where it needs to be.

Have you started your project?

Thanks for the info opie. I am making one to replace the axle on my M416. I have searched for a hub that will work to convert the stock axle, but nobody makes a 1.62" inner and outer diamater 5 on 4.5 hub anywhere. So I'm just going to make one. around 56" to 57"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online