"Our" trailer build

computeruser

Explorer
My trailer is rolling now, and has made its way back to my house to start on paint prep and enclosure design and construction. I still need to find someone to bore out my extra set of rims, but we did snatch a couple wheels off my utility trailer to get a couple pictures. The tires pictured are 26" tall (205/75/14), and the trailer will be wearing 31-10.50-15 on stock Jeep aluminum rims; the substantial backspacing will keep the 31s tucked in neatly (we hope...).

P1100013Medium.jpg

P1100011Medium.jpg

P1100014Medium.jpg

And best of all, it looks like the trailer will be able to be stored inside my other trailer...without too much room to spare!

Side:
P11000110Medium.jpg

Rear:
P1100018Medium.jpg

Front:
P1100019Medium.jpg

The next challenge will be to figure out how to design and fabricate the enclosure and jerry can storage system, preferably without spending a small fortune on steel. The tongue and rear receiver steel alone cost almost $150. Thankfully all the other steel was free scrap, or else this project would not be happening! I also have to be thankful for the fact that Kris likes to weld so damned much; I really haven't done much on this trailer building process up to this point, to be totally honest.

I already have a fairly respectable investment in plastic storage containers that could be packed in the back of the TJ, but they're going to be a little bit too wide (or not wide enough, depending on orientation) to make sense in the proposed enclosure design. We were thinking of sizing the interior for six (3d, 2h) large ActionPackers, along with a bit of extra space for larger, bulkier gear (cooler, firewood, etc.) than cannot be easily fit inside an ActionPacker. We'll see. I'm hoping I can do some sketching at work this week and come up with something that is fairly cheap and easy.

We also need to find a way to accommodate my canoe, and possibly a second canoe. My current canoe transport system kindasorta works, but even with a few more straps than are installed in the picture below, the canoe wants to move around on anything but smooth pavement. The super-stiff springs in the utility trailer don't help much with canoe transport, either, though they work wonders with loads of gravel, soil, compost, and mulch (Thanks, Chrysler, for those two transmission rebuilds under warranty!). I rolled a few 34x16" rounds of wet, fresh-cut norway spruce into the trailer and that softened the canoe's ride up a good bit, but that is no real solution. With the tongue fully extended on the off-road trailer, I should have less rear overhang than I currently do, and at a lower, easier to load height.

DSCF1279Medium.jpg

opie

Explorer
All right folks, I am looking for some opinions. I picked up 2 4x8 sheets of smooth expanded metal. Im not looking to make my trailer water or dust tight. It wasnt the weight of the 14g that steered me away from it. I got the expanded metal for almost half the price.

So...Im not totally sold on it yet, and would like to hear opinions either way on using it or using sheet steel.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20650&stc=1&d=1215730563

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20651&stc=1&d=1215730563

jatibb

Adventurer
expanded meatl sheets will rattle when going down rough roads (normal dirt road) think about those commercially available trailers with mesh floor. very noisey. metal sheet booms when going over a bump unless lots of supports underneath. looking at your frame, nice job by the way, you may be ok with sheet. these are the reasons alot of utility trailer have wood floors. cost,quite,replacable...

opie

Explorer
I hear ya on the rattling. I am almost positive thats because of the chincy builds most of the mass manufactuers put out.

I can weld down the expanded every 4-6" or so.

Im going to lay it out tomorrow and see how I like it.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
If you take the time to weld the expanded as you said every 4 to 6 inches you will have a very minimum of rattling. I've done this on a few customer's trailers and it worked out OK. Actually I think that usually I would tack every 5th or 6th "rib" where it came into contact with the frame work. I may be more partial to sheet from here on in though, I just recieved a couple sets of dimple dies today. :wings:

opie

Explorer
Geo...Ive been watching that build. That certainly is sweet! Im also limited on space and tools to do what you are doing.

Id love to use sheet, but cost is to much for what I want into mine. Its basically just a beefed up utility trailer. Ill never have a RRT attached to it. Im not worried about it being weathertight. Just need a place for a cooler, fuel, water and some action packers.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
opie said:
Geo...Ive been watching that build. That certainly is sweet! Im also limited on space and tools to do what you are doing.

Id love to use sheet, but cost is to much for what I want into mine. Its basically just a beefed up utility trailer. Ill never have a RRT attached to it. Im not worried about it being weathertight. Just need a place for a cooler, fuel, water and some action packers.

Opie,

That's the beauty of it; we all get to make the trailer that will suit our needs. Also, I feel lucky that I have access to the work space that I do. As far as the tools go, well I also feel pretty fortunate to have aquired the collection that I currently have, but a lot of talented people have done more than me with less than I have.

Keep up the good work, I love to watch others ideas and workmanship on display. it seems like every time a watch another build there are a few new tricks or solutions that I learn from. I hope that you have an update on your trailer soon.

Mike

opie

Explorer
Well, my Wife was kind enough to let me work on the trailer most of the day, so heres what I got done....

I got the storage compartment done other than the front and rear centers. Im going to use some of the 4" channel I have left over from my other trailer so I can have the spare mounted either front or rear depending on where I need the weight. Im pleased with the expanded metal on the floor, so thats good. Got the hubs all packed up and got CU's and my wheels mounted up with the used BFG's CU scored off craigslist..

The one thing I think I see that will need attention is my tounge. I think it needs to be a touch longer.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20750&stc=1&d=1215997380

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20751&stc=1&d=1215997380

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20752&stc=1&d=1215997380

opie

Explorer
Oh yeah...heres my contribution to recycling.

The storage area on mine consists of 2 bed frames.

All of the 2" angle in mine and CU's trailer was an old shelf unit from where I work.

anthony1

Until the last picture, I thought you were planning to raise chickens in the trailer...:jump:

Looks great.
You can use the left over to make a nice BBQ grill too. :1888fbbd:

opie

Explorer
Thats funny, raise chickens!!

Wait a minute...fresh chicken, BBQ grill.

anthony, you may be onto something.

computeruser

Explorer
Well, I got the Wheelhorse tractor sold and picked up today, so I was finally able to get the trailer frame horizontal and bolt some wheels on!

DSCF1446Medium.jpg

DSCF1445Medium.jpg

Gotta pick the lengths for my expandable tongue setup and drill some holes for the pins. But it looks like the tongue will be about the right height to the vehicle, especially once I get the .5" spring spacers installed and the hardtop removed.

I will have to drill out my pintle mount so I can insert it a bit more. I'll probably cut and grind away some of the reinforcement triangle, given that this won't be a very heavy trailer. I definitely think it would be nice to build a bumper that I could bolt the pintle directly to, though.

DSCF1447Medium.jpg

I didn't get to actually test-fit the wheeled trailer in the utility trailer, though it should still fit just fine. Gotta go buy my wood chipper on Friday so I can process up all the yard waste that has been accumulating in the trailer in the past week...

DSCF1448Medium.jpg

Azlugz

Adventurer

computeruser

Explorer
Got the hitch insert drilled out closer to the hitch itself at lunch by a cool little old machine shop located 3 minutes from work (2" of solid steel was more than I wanted to drill by hand), and then cut off the triangular reinforcement, and now we're looking better for a TJ:

DSCF1457Medium.jpg

I would definitely consider replacing my bumper with one that would accept a pintle bolted directly to it. I don't think it would be hard to make one that was sturdy enough for the task - it could tie into the rear crossmember AND the plates that attach my hitch to the frame (cutting the hitch itself out, and welding to the frame plates. Such a setup would be at least as strong as what I've got now, and would be less prone to snag on stuff. We'll see...

Should have time to drill out the tongue holes this weekend, and I've got a line on a couple more freecycled bedframes to render into an enclosure. The progress continues!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior