"Our" trailer build

opie

Explorer
Looks good Brandon.

Was at TSC today looking at the pintle set-ups. IF I decide to extend my tounge, Ill weld on a length of receiver tube and go the interchangeable route. TSC does have the bolt on pintle thats a combo ball/hook. That seems like a better deal so you dont have to carry 2 inserts for the hitch. Ill have to see what I can scrape up on Ebay.

Id love to go the route Azlugz and IH8RDS have gone, but those inserts dont have enough rise on them to work with my truck.

I did get all my expanded metal welded in today. No pics though, darkness came pretty quick today. I should have my lights either tomorrow or Sat.

opie

Explorer
Well, I got it all painted up today. Got all my holes drilled for my lighting, but that needs to be put back on when the paint is dry. After that, thats about it.

Still not sure if Im going to make up some fenders. Ill run it for awhile and decide later.

It weighs 640 pounds empty with the spare.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21036&stc=1&d=1216602583

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21038&stc=1&d=1216602583

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21039&stc=1&d=1216602583

computeruser

Explorer
Gradually making progress...

Got the frame primed (2 coats) and topped first with Rustoleum Professional "Aluminum" but decided that I didn't like it, so I resprayed with R-P flat black. Now I can leave it outside in the other trailer even if it decides to rain.

DSCF1442Medium.jpg

Extendable tongue, tow ring removed. Note the sophisticated suspension system used to keep it from sticking to the cardboard.

DSCF1447Medium-1.jpg

I had hoped to catch up with a friend of mine this weekend for a BBQ and to pick up some spare bedframes he didn't need, but that fell through. So I cut up the 2.5 bedframes I had accumulated already, with the plan being to have a frame width enclosure with 18" sides for the latter three crossmembers (54" x 31" x 18"), a full-width front area with 13.5" sides, and the latter two "projections" on behind each wheel will also be enclosed in some fashion yet to be determined.

I also decided that my spare tire holder will attach to the front tongue where it meets the front cross member and will also tie in to the top rail of the front "basket" at 13.5" above the cross member; it will have a provision above the tire to set the front of my canoe. I still haven't figured out what I will attach at the rear, though it may end up using something that slides into the rear receiver...we'll see what sort of steel I am left with (and what Kris still has in his stash of freebie steel).

DSCF1441Medium.jpg

The only casualty for the day was a dewalt drill bit. These things are nice bits - they have a starter point and are very sharp, holding their edge in metal for quite some time. What they are not, however, is rigid. This was a brand new bit, and on its first hole it bent. I guess I'll have to leave these bits (the ones that remain straight, anyway) for wood use only!

DSCF1459Medium.jpg

Luckily the weather was pleasant - 78* and 75% humidity - as my "shop" is not exactly a climate controlled environment!

DSCF1443Medium.jpg

And as an added bonus, the lilies in my yard are just coming off their peak, so the entire yard smells fabulous!

DSCF1446Medium-1.jpg

anthony1

That looks great.

On the side note, I had bees making nest in the square tubing that I didn't closed up the end. The greenies won't like this but I use WD40 to subdued the bees and remove the nest. :ar15:

computeruser

Explorer
We got...structure! Still have some work to do on the skeleton, but should have it done this weekend. Spare tire mount (front) and tailgate will be the big tasks, along with something to mount the lights to and then the decking/sides. Hopefully I'll get another free bedframe in the next couple days so I won't have to buy any steel...

With a bit of work this weekend it'll be roadworthy in a couple days and completed by this time next week.

DSCF1469Medium.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94