Post Pics of your Defender

Shoogs

Shoogs
My Camel

Thanks Guys,

Andrew, you would have driven past me, I work at a copper mine about 80kms West of Solwezi, have been to Mwinilunga a few times... your photo is fairly typical at this time of the year...

Pity its not a Landy...

cheers

Tim

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Thanks Guys,

Andrew, you would have driven past me, I work at a copper mine about 80kms West of Solwezi, have been to Mwinilunga a few times... your photo is fairly typical at this time of the year...

Pity its not a Landy...

cheers

Tim

I guess you're at Lumwana or possibly Trident? I grew up in Solwezi from 1981-1991 and haven't been back before this trip. It's completely unreal the amount of change (even some development) there since I left. Solwezi then was more like Mwinilunga is now in terms of the amount of pedestrian and vehicular traffic. When I left, Kansanshi was shut down. I went back to Canada and got a degree in Civil Engineering; it's crazy for me to think of all the engineering jobs now in and around Solwezi as there were no opportunities like that when I used to live there. At least none I knew of as a teenager.

Since I have a Land Rover at home, I was interested in trying out another vehicle. I rented from Hensons in Lusaka who only mentioned having a Toyota Prado or Nissan Patrol available. I said I'd be happy with either and they gave me the Prado. During the first week or so I was with a team from my church in Mongu. We had 8 adults and 2 kids in a ~1991 Patrol, pulling a double axle enclosed trailer full of a family's furniture and luggage for 13 people. That straight 6 non-turbo diesel Patrol was still significantly faster than our Toyota Prado. I still can't figure out if the Prado had engine problems or if it's really that slow. In two weeks of driving it I for some reason never got past checking fluid levels to even look at the engine. They did tell us when we picked it up that often people turn around and come back and say there's something wrong with the engine, but that no, it just doesn't have a lot of power.

Last edited:

Shoogs

Shoogs
Hi Andrew,

yes I am at Lumwana, have been for about 3 years, even in that time the growth has been crazy... Solwezi would have changed a little in all that time...we employ over 4000 people and Kansanshi about the same, Trident when opened will be about half that... After 20 years in mining, I have never seen anything quite like it... a sleepy little village called Manyama next to the mine had 3500 people when I came here, now we have 35000+.

Still, its progress, though not how we would all desire it to be.

Glad you had a great trip, it is a great country with fantastic people as you know, should be on the bucket list for all, its amazing how so many overlanders head straight through Livingstone, Lusaka to Tanzania, and miss out on Liuwa, Kafue and Mongu etc...

Just to let you know we run over 150 Toyotas on site and have numerous fuel issues, if we dont change the filters every 3000km's or so they loose power very quickly. Quality is the issue..
But thats Ok we just take it to the local garage...

cheers

Tim

Solwezi Garage.JPG

Attachments

• 67s.jpg
    67s.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 332

Miller325

'85 110 SW

Hello All, I am new to the forum. My name is Jon and I am an Army Warrant Officer going through rotary-wing flight school down in Ft. Rucker, AL. Spent the first 11 years of my career jumping out of airplanes, kicking down doors, and shooting bad guys in the face. However, I've always wanted to fly, and I'm not getting any younger, so here I am! Brief intro complete, now for the Landy:

1985 Land Rover 110 SW
ROW Spec (LHD)
3.5L carb'd V8
LT95 4-spd gearbox

I bought this a few years ago in the Netherlands while I was stationed in Germany. What I know about the 110's history: initially sold into the Swiss market, where it was possibly used as a Swiss Railways vehicle. Later owned by at least one German, subsequently sold to a Dutchman, and now me. I imported it back into the US using the same company that ships privately-owned vehicles (one gratis) for servicemembers assigned to Europe. They handled all of the shipping, customs, etc, and I simply picked the vehicle up in Atlanta upon it's arrival.

How the 110 looks as of last week:
side01.jpglights 01.jpglights 02.jpg
bonnet spare.jpgbonnet under.jpg
retrim05.jpgretrim02.jpgretrim01.jpg

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Hello All, I am new to the forum. My name is Jon and I am an Army Warrant Officer going through rotary-wing flight school down in Ft. Rucker, AL. Spent the first 11 years of my career jumping out of airplanes, kicking down doors, and shooting bad guys in the face. However, I've always wanted to fly, and I'm not getting any younger, so here I am! Brief intro complete, now for the Landy:

1985 Land Rover 110 SW
ROW Spec (LHD)
3.5L carb'd V8
LT95 4-spd gearbox

I bought this a few years ago in the Netherlands while I was stationed in Germany. What I know about the 110's history: initially sold into the Swiss market, where it was possibly used as a Swiss Railways vehicle. Later owned by at least one German, subsequently sold to a Dutchman, and now me. I imported it back into the US using the same company that ships privately-owned vehicles (one gratis) for servicemembers assigned to Europe. They handled all of the shipping, customs, etc, and I simply picked the vehicle up in Atlanta upon it's arrival.

How the 110 looks as of last week:

Wow, that truck is amazingly clean. Very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles