What do you use for a truck gun?

I absolutely hate folding stocks and its just wrong on a mosin. The only reason this isnt using the original stock is that Chu wood doesn't hold up well.

Malamute

Observer
Big bore lever action is a realm I really want to get into. Spare a few minutes and educate me? Who makes a good one?

I like the Browning 92. They don't come drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, but its not hard to do. The Lyman 56 sight looks great on them. Adding a sling is a must also. I mount the front one in the fore end band, they look nicer than the clamp on the mag tube that's common. I inlet a knurled nut into the wood below the band for the stud to thread into, if just tapping the band, you only get about 1 1/2 threads holding it. Still the 44 doesn't really qualify as big bore, the 45-70 covers that well though. The Browning 1886s are the top favorites for me. The later Winchester 1886s are also good, but some don't like the rebound hammer or tang safety.
As for a general purpose truck gun, theres usually a Winchester 94 in mine. If going up where the bears live, something larger gets tossed in.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
This is what stays in my truck for a truck gun while I am on a trip. Meets all federal standards for lengths. This is the bear/moose defense gun, works decent for birds if they are close. As far as a gun for survival uses I keep an AR7 in the back. Always have my carry piece as well which is an xds45 so really all my bases are covered.

18485728_10155799129714879_5077871163574372833_n.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Big bore lever action is a realm I really want to get into. Spare a few minutes and educate me? Who makes a good one?

Just find yourself a Winchester Model 94 in .38-55 or .450 Marlin. The new Winchester 94s shoot fantastic (I have a newer 94 in .38-55 and love it)

goin camping

Explorer

May I recommend Marlin?

All lever actions share a slim easy to carry profile and intuitive controls. Marlin though ejects out the right side where as Winchester and other throw out the top. A hot as heck 30 30 brass case going down your shirt or landing on a head without a hat is painful.

vectorsc

Adventurer
I hated my short dot and couldn't wait to sell it.

bbe51781ed1f03f8d7b5b562a4ed0e1e.jpg

Mine is a noveske 10.3 with acog. Nice gun and very light/reliable.

I actually used a SIG 553 in situations where it was keeping me alive and still have never owned one. Very odd.
Fantastic gun, essentially an AK made by the Swiss with every AK issue fixed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malamute

Observer
May I recommend Marlin?

All lever actions share a slim easy to carry profile and intuitive controls. Marlin though ejects out the right side where as Winchester and other throw out the top. A hot as heck 30 30 brass case going down your shirt or landing on a head without a hat is painful.

Winchester just started making guns that eject at an angle, so scopes are simple to mount and the brass kicks out the side.

Well, 1982, but that still seems recent to some of us.

robert

Expedition Leader
You guys talking about SBRs, I'm guessing that's for in-state travel or do plan far enough ahead to get your form 20 back? I've never filed one so no real idea how long it takes to get one back. ARs are so cheap these days it's easy enough to have a pistol lower with a Sigbrace or KAK Blade on it so I've never bothered.

On the lever action question, another option is the Rossis. Check fit and finish before taking possession but they are quite popular with the cowboy shooting crowd and with a little work they can be really slick. I've got one of the 16" .357s and it's extremely handy and easy shooting and heavy .357s out of a 16" barrel definitely hit harder than out of a four inch pistol. When my grandfather was alive and traveling the country towing his camper it's what he carried since they're legal most places and they are more PC (and what he was comfortable with). Pretty sure he had his revolver with him as well but I never asked; I know he had a secret hiding space for their documents and stuff and he mentioned the pistol would fit in there as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne