Insurance for custom expedition rigs

I have a custom built expedition rig built on a Mercedes truck,what do people do for insurance on these? I can't find anyone that insures custom rvs built on a military truck. I need to avoid registering it as a commercial vehicle, and its too large to register as a pickup. Anyone have any leads on companies that cover these?

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a custom built expedition rig built on a Mercedes truck,what do people do for insurance on these? I can't find anyone that insures custom rvs built on a military truck. I need to avoid registering it as a commercial vehicle, and its too large to register as a pickup. Anyone have any leads on companies that cover these?

To avoid the commercial vehicle thing you are going to have to TITLE it as an RV (or motor home, or house car, or whatever they call them in your state). Once it is titled as an RV you can start shopping for RV insurance. A lot of companies still won't touch it, but some will.

Yeah that's the problem I have. In my state you need insurance to title the vehicle, and to get rv insurance, some want proof it's an rv. It makes it a bit of a catch 22. I called many insurance agencies, and no one will touch a custom rv.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I had to get commercial insurance for our Freightliner ambulance, to drive it back to Arizona from Philly. Then I added the necessary items (some with double sided tape) and had it titled as an RV within about 3 weeks. Was cheap, actually... You may need to get a commercial policy for a short term fix.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I got a 30-day PA permit, for about $30. That covered the trip home, and quick "conversion", so I never registered it in AZ as anything other than an RV.

I had to get commercial insurance for our Freightliner ambulance, to drive it back to Arizona from Philly. Then I added the necessary items (some with double sided tape) and had it titled as an RV within about 3 weeks. Was cheap, actually... You may need to get a commercial policy for a short term fix.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I got a 30-day PA permit, for about $30. That covered the trip home, and quick "conversion", so I never registered it in AZ as anything other than an RV.

did you get insurance from a local company, or a national brand?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Another good place to check for info is the Escapees forums. Lots of people there retitle MDTs and HDTs as RVs and get RV insurance of them. It is often a bit cumbersome but can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles