Options for securing sleeping platform to truck bed

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thoughts/Options?

My last sleeping platform and storage box was not secured to my truck bed (my bad) and some of the wood split and broke etc. I didn't think about securing it because it was the same length and width of the bed and it was before I really got into this forum, etc.

I am doing a full redo on my sleeping platform because I am tired of my 160 mile roundtrip commute and southern CA traffic and have decided to sleep in my truck a few nights a week to cut down on the problems mentioned. And save some $$ on gas.

I have an idea of what I want. Smaller bed. Mini dresser/stand/table, solar power, and a mini "armoire" (does anyone else think that is a stupid word?) to hang my suits. Basically a tiny apartment. I know how I want it set up but I am having trouble with how/where to secure it. Do people drill into the truck bed and bolt the platforms directly to the bed? I would ideally want it to be three separate pieces since space is extremely limited and I still use the truck for camping.

I don't know how I feel about drilling holes in the bed...but if there is no other option then I will. I also don't want to use a 2x4 or similar piece of wood to connect both sides using the little slots provided because I want a little pathway in between the bed and dressers.

So, that's my problem/ story. Let me know what you think or what you did. Pics appreciated.

Thank you!

fiddypal

Adventurer
In my setup i bolted "walls" against the bed using the clamps that normally hold the shell down. The piece in the middle fits nice and snug so it does not move at all, if its just bare wood you might need something to keep it in place. I remember the board would slide around a little when it was just bare wood.

Bare wood - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-Country-Cruiser-Build?p=2117484#post2117484

Carpet Installed - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Working-Dog-Cross-Country-Cruiser-Build/page5

D

Deleted member 96197

Last pick up I had I drilled in to the bed regularly, once you do it you'll quickly get over the aversion to it ;)
When mounting things directly to the bed I like to put a rubber gasket (nothing fancy, I often use old bike tubes) just to create a little barrier to absorb vibration and reduce friction.

Another option that is pretty common is build your platform, table, and whatever else, so that you can take advantage of the tie down points on floor, then ratchet strap everything down. If you don't have enough tie down points, bolting a few more down is generally unobtrusive and you really can't have too many. I generally put a couple of these (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Brophy/SR10-C.html) every couple of feet and have never regretted having too many places to strap everything down.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the comments guys. I ended up taking a 2x4 which I decided was a bit too heavy so swapped it in for 1x2 (I think) and notched out spaces so the shell clamp could fit through it. Now I have a sold piece of wood to connect things to.

Ill post up some pics later this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior