CO: Short learning trip before the long haul.

vectorsc

Adventurer
We took a long weekend off of work to do a trip through southwest CO to introduce my kids to overland expeditioning and learn more about how my new rig is going to perform.

This was a good opportunity to validate some of the packing lists, give the vehicle a chance to break in a somewhat hospitable place if anything is ready to go out, and see Colorado some more.

Enjoy the pics:

Wake the dog up by whispering "Overland Expedition"

Pack up truck and get ready to go. Glad I decided against the roof rack.

Dog telling me I should have woken her up after packing.

Be prepared for protests.

First time the kids mentioned missing pokemon go...right here.

I really liked this road. I expected to find a covered wagon full of skeletons.

I love this area.

Daughter wanted a glamor shot of us above the tree line. I told her to keep her bazookas pointed towards the safe side of the drop off and thus she would have a 200lb land anchor to rely on in case things went wrong.

Truck has the right camouflage for this area in this season. And the right camouflage to cover up the 59,761 hail dents it has, and the reason it was cheaper than even the most beat up 4 door JK.

Dog issued the ultimatum to get this show back on the road in 20 seconds or she was driving off without us.

My winch bumper did little to compromise the approach angle thankfully.

Roll on out of there, and head over to some new fun. Monarch pass.

Again a nice view on a nice road.

I have high hopes I won't be violating this signs prohibition on this trip.

Nice place to check for leaks.

Again nice road.

The OME springs and shocks took out some rubbing I had been doing with the 34's.

About the time the kids had stopped screaming from the last stretch of road I inform them this is the next stretch....

Unfortunately, this road ended in sadness. I will call this the sad sign. Whats a little rock blasting and heavy construction equipment to a seasoned off roader?

On the way back down, still some snow out there thankfully.

eloist

Adventurer
I used to live in Gunnison, so I know Monarch Pass well. Very pretty up there.
I have actually done backcountry snowboarding around the same areas you were driving, on the outskirts of the ski area boundary.

vectorsc

Adventurer
Its a 2005. I got it just for offroading, and it is quite the beast actually. Did the Moab steps in it and everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94