XJ project MORTY

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
So me and the fiancée are starting to plan our first long trip for September 2017. Calling this one a national park tour more so than a Overlanding trip.

I am going to be getting 27 days for this trip.
The plan so far is Indiana to Yellowstone with a few day stop in Rapid City, SD to visit friends and check out the black hills. After a few days in Yellowstone we'll hop up to Missoula, MT to visit friends there. From Missoula we when trek up to Glacier NP for a few days, having been to Glacier before we plan on spending most the time on the east side of the park this time. Last time we spent 3 days in the Polebridge/Bowman Lake area so it'll be nice to change it up.

From here plans can change originally we were thinking of crossing the border to Canada and stop at Jasper NP and head west to Vancouver, but the more we think about it we don't want to try to squeeze a bunch of stops just for the sake of seeing things. We don't want to feel rushed, this is a vacation after all.

So we will either be going through Canada, afterward heading south from Vancouver to Seattle. Or we will head west from Glacier through Idaho to Seattle, bypassing Canada.

After Seattle we head south to Portland, this part of the trip is a mystery to us, having never been in the PNW and not knowing exactly when to go, I would like to size a bit of overlanding in this part, moderate trails. Nothing to difficult because id like to be able to make it home haha.

From Portland area we plan on heading to Yosemite NP for the next few days. Then start traveling east to Arches NP in Utah. Couple days there and we will make our way to Silverton, CO.

Silverton will be the only part of the trip that has planned offroad trails, as we plan on doing the Alpine Loop. I'll be allotting a few days for the completion of this trail, should be a good time.

After the Alpine loop we will be heading to a close, making our way to Kansas City to visit family for the rest of the time and reluctantly heading home to Indiana.

Indiana->Rapid City
Rapid City->Yellowstone NP
Yellowstone NP ->Missoula
Missoula->Glacier NP
Glacier NP->Seattle
Seattle->Portland
Portland->Yosemite NP
Yosemite NP->Arches NP
Arches NP->Alpine Loop
Alpine Loop->Kansas City
Kansas City->Indiana

OR

Indiana->Rapid City
Rapid City->Yellowstone NP
Yellowstone NP ->Missoula
Missoula->Glacier NP
Glacier NP->Jasper NP
Jasper NP->Vancouver
Vancouver->Seattle
Seattle->Portland
Portland->Yosemite NP
Yosemite NP->Arches NP
Arches NP->Alpine Loop
Alpine Loop->Kansas City
Kansas City->Indiana

oldcelicaracer

Observer
when your in yellowstone you should check out the morrison jeep trail,20 miles of great scenery and some really cool switchbacks on the trail ...from there you can also hit sunlight basin and goose lake

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Its funny I spent a lot of summers as a kid in the bitterroot mountains outside of Missoula Montana but have yet to stop at Yellowstone. Thanks for the tip, we will probably be spending a few day in the area

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Slowly diagnosing crappy MPG.
changed the plugs, and id say it was about time.
Plug gaps were the following:
Cyl 1 .52
Cyl 2 .44
Cyl 3 .44
Cyl 4 .49
Cyl 5 .39
Cyl 6 .40

Really surprised I never got a misfire on cyl 1
We'll see where that gets me. Probably end up replacing most the fuel system regardless, for some piece of mind.

Last edited:

kayak15

Observer
Bumper looks good painted. Considering doing the same with my rig soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Got the bumper test fitted, love the white! Very happy with my choice to color match it. In the process of putting in the bracing plates for the bumper itself, I ran into issues with the steering box bolts and the spacer breaking. Should have known better with this jeep haha So now the jeep is stuck in the garage waiting for a JCR steering box spacer and an upgraded Dodge Durango steering box to go in.
Bumper Fixing by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
Ended up installing my upgraded injectors and hood risers since I have downtime now. Hopefully the clean injectors will alleviate my fuel mileage issues (fingers crossed)

Coming in march - april time frame I am going to get the stuff for my regear. I have decided on running 4.10's. Also much to the dismay of my wallet, that i am going to run ARB lockers in the front and rear. May be overkill at this point in time for the use of the cherokee, but I don't want to have to open everything back up on the axle and go through it all again when they do become a necessity for the build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online