XJ project MORTY

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Married, Congratulations! And yeah I think that cooler will definitely hold you over for a while.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Finally got my axle work done!
ARB up front, Trutrac in the rear and a regear to 4.10s

Jeep feels great to drive, hope to be done with gear break in by this week. Planning on a trip to the Badlands offroad park about 45mins from here to get a good shake down of everything

Axle work is done by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Finally got my second car sold so I have a good amount of cash flow to finish this jeep up before the September trip!

Some of the things I feel like I HAVE to have for the trip (BOLD), some things might not be completely necessary but hey I still want them done lol

Dirtbound Mojave Rear Bumper W/ Tire Carrier or JCR Expedition bumper with carrier
Mammoth Boulder 16x8" Spare Wheel
Goodyear Duratrac 245/75r16 Spare Tire
CB Setup
HD Tie Rod Setup
Disk Brake Conversion
Rock Sliders
Dirtbound Extreme Winch bumper or JCR winch bumper
Warn VR8-S
Synergy 1.25" Wheel Spacers x4
20L Jerry Cans x2
struggling to decide between which bumpers I'm gonna go with right now
Hopefully there will be a bunch of updates in the next two weeks!

Last edited:

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I didn't realize how similar our schedules were until just now. Very cool build and safe travels!

That Dirtbound Mojave bumper and tire carrier come in a DIY kit if you're handy with a welder. I'm planning to get that same setup, but not until after we get back from CO. For the trip, I'm just going to build a platform in the rear over the spare tire, then have cubbies for a couple Pelican cases and my cooler.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
I didn't realize how similar our schedules were until just now. Very cool build and safe travels!

That Dirtbound Mojave bumper and tire carrier come in a DIY kit if you're handy with a welder. I'm planning to get that same setup, but not until after we get back from CO. For the trip, I'm just going to build a platform in the rear over the spare tire, then have cubbies for a couple Pelican cases and my cooler.

Both the front and rear bumpers I get will be the DIY kits. Also I've been debating the platform storage setup for awhile now, just cant make up my mind lol
Good luck on your trip to CO!

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Good news everyone!
I got a small sponsorship from JCR offroad! Sent an email talking about the trip, that I was interested in some info about their products and to see if they had any interest in the jeep project. After a couple emails backand forth I got an email today from Corey saying he got the okay! Super surprised and grateful, as much money as I have into this XJ now every little bit of saved makes me feel a little better about myself haha
//
Tomorrow ill be finishing up my order and I think the bumpers are going to get here just in time! Ol' Morty is going to be getting their Vanguard Prerunner Winch bumper, Vanguard Rear bumper and Adventure Tire carrier. I think we are going to be cutting it close to the September 2nd launch date but hey! Who doesnt like some last minute wrenching before a month long trip :smiley_drive:
//
In other news, I went on a spending spree at Amazon. Most of the trips wants and needs are in the mail and heading this way.
This includes:
Corba CB
ARB E-Z tire deflator
2 Wavian 20L gas cans
Folding Table
New driver side taillight (more on that in a bit)
Warn VR8s winch with synthetic line
And the big one..... 5 Cooper STT pro tires in a 265/75r16. After thinking on it and thinking on it and hovering over the 'add to cart' button. Then thinking on it some more I decided I wanted slightly larger tires. Just over an inch taller and slightly less than an inch wider but more importantly much more aggressive.
//
What pushed me over the edge to buy the tires was the off roading trip I finally got around to taking. Don't get me wrong, the duratracs did great but boy did they load up fast in mud. Either way had a great time at the Badlands here in Attica, IN. The jeep surprised me with some of the obstacles it tackled, but between some tight trails and a not so tight driver, I managed to dent in the passenger side front fender (enough to catch the door stopping it from opening all the way), Slide the rear quarter panel into a dirt wall <--this one i didnt feel like I couldve avoided, and back into a tree and bust the driver taillight. All in all though it was a successful trip and feel like I pushed the jeep harder than we will on most of the trail we are going to incounter on the western trip
//
Dog was excited on the way to the badlands, don't think he like the rough trails to much though haha
Much excite by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
//
My buddy came out with his subaru, small lift and good sized AT's. Surprised at how good it was.
Cherokee and friends by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
//
Assessing the damages and airing up to head home
Aftermath by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr

Last edited:

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Amazon fairy dropped of a load of stuff yesterday! Surprised the floor of the porch didnt cave in lol
Amazon Fairy by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
//
Everything came in early and with the new Coopers sitting on the porch of course the first thing I had to do was quickly get them installed before discount tire closed. So here are the 265/75r16 Pro's mounted with a 1.25" alloy USA spacer and a 2.5" OME lift.
Cooper STT pro&#x27;s fitted w/spacers by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
//
Its a bit tight for my taste on wheel gap so we are going to try a extra spring pad up front and throw the extra leaf in the rear turning it into a 3" lift.
//
Today right after I got home my neighbor text me saying I had a huge box that was delivered to her house instead of mine, I slightly confused because all my Amazon stuff was already here. So I go over and to my surprise a huge box from JCR made it here already! In it was my rear vanguard bumper, Hawse fairlead, and bumper nut strips. Happy it got here so fast, allows me to get things installed periodically instead of all together which I was not excited about doing right before the trip lol
JCR vanguard rear bumper by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
//
Extremely pleased with the bumper from JCR. The brackets and gussets look super stout and the build quality looks great! Plan is to prep and paint it tomorrow. While that's drying ill be removing the stock rear bumper to hopefully get the xj ready for an install on Saturday! This being a Midwestern jeep we'll we how that pans out!

Last edited:

JSwanson

Observer
Looks great man! Let me know how you like those Coopers its between those and bfg KO2's once my duratracs wear out. Also interested in how you like the winch as I have been looking at the same one and the price on it isn't too bad. Looking forward to the tire carrier install.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Looks great man! Let me know how you like those Coopers its between those and bfg KO2's once my duratracs wear out. Also interested in how you like the winch as I have been looking at the same one and the price on it isn't too bad. Looking forward to the tire carrier install.
Since you asked...
I bought my jeep with worn ko2s on it and they were terrible. They were worn unevenly and very very loud. And could get dangerously slippery on wet surfaces. They were not bald, just worn.

Then I installed Duratracs and they were great. Once they got worn out though they became slippery. I sold them when they got close to the wear bars and someone else is still running them. They had 60,000miles on them at the time. They were good in the winter and decent in the mud and good on gravel too. Had lots of highway miles on them as well. With only a 2ply sidewall they aren't for hardcore offroading though.

So then I got the coopers and they are awesome. Heavier but worth it for the strength and because I'll be doing more off road than before. They also did good this past winter and have been good in the rain and mud. Really love them.

IMO, your choice is determined how you wheel and how much you highway.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer

Thanks! the Coopers seem great so far, I really don't think they are any louder than the duratracs and from the small amount of mud I've been in with them they are much better. They clean out SUPER fast.
I have only open the winch so far but it seems like a really solid product, hopefully the rest of my JCR stuff gets here pretty soon!
//

My JKS heavy duty shackles, Sway bar bushings, Hi-Lift, and recovery gear showed up yesterday. Went ahead and installed the sway bar bushing and painted the bar while it was out, black is a much better color than rust lol plan on knocking out the shackles today, fingers crossed that the bolts don't snap. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke