Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modest 2002 Montero Build

Default Modest 2002 Montero Build

Picked up a 2002 Montero for winter duty and to haul car parts a few months back. Since we picked up the car, we're slowly going over the car and sorting out all the deferred maintenance. We've also been going camping with the car a bit and getting used to what the car is capable of actually going over.

In either case, I'll be making additional posts with more pictures and likely some questions.
    0616162001_HDR.jpg

0731160730a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zerodrift View Post
    Picked up a 2002 Montero for winter duty and to haul car parts a few months back. Since we picked up the car, we're slowly going over the car and sorting out all the deferred maintenance. We've also been going camping with the car a bit and getting used to what the car is capable of actually going over.

In either case, I'll be making additional posts with more pictures and likely some questions.
    0616162001_HDR.jpg

0731160730a.jpg
    Great looking Gen. III.
    Welcome, I hope it brings you many miles of adventure.
    '02 Montero: OME suspension, ARB front bumper, Superwinch X9, sliders, 4mm skid plates, telescoping rear light, spare tire Blitz can mount, extended breathers, K&N air filter, BajaRack, IPF lights, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75/16's, RUD 4x4 Grip Chains

Few pictures of several projects that we've done on the vehicle since picking it up.

Installed some hood vents the other weekend. Found the car would get quite hot when cruising with the ac on while in 4wd-lo. The vents are stainless vents found in the marine world and are very affordable.

When we first picked up the Montero, it would hardly idle and had numerous issues caused by a severe lack of maintenance. We tore into it straight away to bring maintenance items up to par.

Cleaning headlights, plugs, wires, compression test, coils, igniter and a few other odds and ends...

Next few projects are still in the works, but a few more pictures...

Rear struts have yet to be installed as I'm hoping to get matching boots.

Did a quick repay with a rattle can to mend the missing paint on the sides.

Welcome and nice work so far! How do the bilsteins ride?
    1998 Mitsubishi Montero - SOLD on 6/7/17
    -Winter Package
    -Cooper Discoverer AT/3 265/70/15
    -KYB Monomax

Quote Originally Posted by TheMole View Post
    Welcome and nice work so far! How do the bilsteins ride?
    Thanks! I've only installed the front struts so far and they are certainly better than nearly blown struts, which is my only composition. They display typical mono tube strut design where the is a little 'sticktion' with the first movement, but great control and feel once on the move. This gives them a bit of a harsh sensation initially, but I'm finding I like them for surface roads as they have a nice linear feel as opposed to a SUV that originally wallowed about. I've no experience with the car prior to these new struts on washboard roads, but will say they seem a little harsh when going certain speeds.

I'm likely just going to install the rear struts as is in the next week or two and will report back.

The hood vents are a nice addition.

If possible, let us know how much it brought your engine temp. down.

Edit: What type of radiator did you install?
    Last edited by Inyo_man; 08-03-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    '02 Montero: OME suspension, ARB front bumper, Superwinch X9, sliders, 4mm skid plates, telescoping rear light, spare tire Blitz can mount, extended breathers, K&N air filter, BajaRack, IPF lights, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75/16's, RUD 4x4 Grip Chains

Nice job on installing the vents. Have you noticed any difference in engine temps, since installing?
    BTW-what did you use to cut the slots in your hood; looks clean.
    Josh
    03 Element EX modified for Expo travel Sold
    98 4runner. L.A.M.B. (locked, armored, methanol injected & blown) (SOLD)
    06 Tundra DC sr5, toytech/bilstein lift, camberg ucas, SCS Stealth wheels, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/70/-17 tires, SG-II, Pioneer-Navi/DVD, ARE shell, full set of Skid Row plates, Stubbs sliders,
    98 Montero- ome suspension, sliders, garvin roof basket, rear facing LEDs, 42" LED (imitation sun) on a Yak x-bar re-enforced fact skids, aux cooling fans.

I've yet to do any low range driving while it's hot, but I can certainly notice heat escaping from the vents while stopped.

I used an air powered reciprocating saw for the cuts. They aren't perfectly straight, but good enough. Just drill pilot holes on the corners, and a large starting hole to insert the saw- then just a steady hand for the rest.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast