2017 Nissan Armada, built on Patrol chassis

haven

Expedition Leader
For 2017, the Nissan Armada SUV leaves behind its American-made pickup chassis, and gets the chassis built for the Patrol in Japan. That's good news.

Even better news is the price, which is expected to be less than $50K for the 4x4 model, including 5.6L gas V8, 7 speed automatic and true low range. Sorry, no diesel at first.

To achieve this price point, the Armada does leave off the Patrol's trick hydraulic suspension, auto-unlocking sway bar and locking differentials front and rear.

ARB, are you listening?

Here is Nissan's web page for 2017 Armada specifications. The base SV seems plenty luxurious, and has 18 inch rims.
http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/2017-armada/versions-specs/

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/01/2017-nissan-armada-first-drive-0876/

...Hate to burst your saliva-bubble, chaps, but this isn't the Patrol you've been looking for. Yes, it shares a rugged body-on-frame chassis and powertrain with what the rest of the world calls the Nissan Patrol, and it's built alongside that vehicle in the Kyushu factory in Japan. But most of the really good off-road equipment has been left off the menu...

Last edited by a moderator:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think they look great. I wonder how many of the Australia spec Patrol accessories (racks, bumpers, etc) will work. A small lift, rear locker sliders, and 285/75r18s would make a great platform.

haven

Expedition Leader
I expect ARB products designed for the Y62 Patrol (air lockers, OME lift, bumpers, and better body protection) will fit the 2017 Armada. I hope ARB USA will build up a new Armada with their products, and send it to Overland Journal for review. (Hint hint)

http://www.arb.com.au/nissan-patrol-y62-2010-present/

Other SUVs with the pedigree of the Patrol include the Land Cruiser 200, Range Rover, and G-Wagen. These cost at least $25K more than the Armada. The Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler Unlimited, and Land Rover LR4 are smaller vehicles (an advantage in some circumstances).

smoltz

Finally some competition for 200 series. Looks like ARB has a number of nice accessories for this already, lockers, bumper, lift. Hopefully they'll validate these products on US model and get that stuff available in short order.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Either way it is still ugly as ********

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each their own lol

I actually didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. Now only if they would have a "patrol" version... lockers and offroad modes, HSA, HDC etc would be great

Patrollife

Explorer
Should have kept the Y61 and never gone with the Y62. There is a reason why INGOs like the UN and NGOs like Sans Medicins rely on the Patrol and LC. You will never see this Y62 crap in South Sudan, Afghanistan or other harsh environments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
It's a moot point. The Y61 and Series 70 are not imported to North America. Unless you want to import a 25 year old model, the Y61 is out of reach. The Y62 plus ARB equipment looks to be quite effective and far less expensive than Land Cruiser 200 or Infiniti QX80 or Range Rover Sport.

The 2016 Dodge Durango is available with three rows of seats, AWD, V8, transfer case with low range and independent suspension front and rear, similar in equipment to the Y62 Patrol. And it's got a similar starting price, about $47,000 with all this equipment. Durango is more likely to be found with model year-end discounts.

Jeep is talking about offering a three-row SUV in a year or two. It will be a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee, just like today's Durango is.

haven

Expedition Leader
"did any of the ARB items from the patrol fit the Infinity QX80?"

ARB sells parts for the QX56 and QX80 in Australia, where the vehicle is called the Patrol. ARB USA does not yet import them here. I'm hoping that ARB will import their entire catalog to build a demonstration vehicle using the Patrol. Maybe in time for SEMA this Fall?

Nickauto

When the US patrol gets here, i.e. the armada, couldn't we buy and ship ARB parts directly from Aus to the states without waiting for ARB to actually sell the parts through a USA distributor?

haven

Expedition Leader
Sure, but that's expensive (bumper in particular is heavy) and your parts may not have warranty support by ARB USA. Better to get ARB to ship a container full of their Patrol products at a flat rate.

I'm hoping ARB and Nissan will have a 2017 Patrol at SEMA.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
I've wanted a Land Cruiser for a long time. I settled on a 4runner ('11 Trail) and love it. It's just a tad small though. If I had any less than two kids, It'd be perfect. As soon as you have two though, at least for me, space starts getting cramped. With the incoming Patrol (Armada), I'm going to give that a good look. I already emailed ARB USA to see if they have any plans as of now to import their goodies. Fingers crossed for all those potential buyers!

I'm also going to consider the new Titan light duty. I like the look, and I drove the Titan XD diesel. It was great. Just a little bigger than I'll need. Interior is big enough, but I think an SUV is going to serve the family best.

Waiting....waiting....waiting.....

-5th

bigskypylot

Explorer
I've wanted a Land Cruiser for a long time. I settled on a 4runner ('11 Trail) and love it. It's just a tad small though. If I had any less than two kids, It'd be perfect. As soon as you have two though, at least for me, space starts getting cramped. With the incoming Patrol (Armada), I'm going to give that a good look. I already emailed ARB USA to see if they have any plans as of now to import their goodies. Fingers crossed for all those potential buyers!

I'm also going to consider the new Titan light duty. I like the look, and I drove the Titan XD diesel. It was great. Just a little bigger than I'll need. Interior is big enough, but I think an SUV is going to serve the family best.

Waiting....waiting....waiting.....

-5th

Fifthcircle-
I like the new Armada/Patrol. Just wish they had some offroad modes with Hillstart and Descent. Maybe they will make a Pro4x edition if interest is high? Wishful thinking, I am afraid.
How do you like your 1190R? I am very interested in picking up an ADV bike (my first) for road trips and trails, nothing super technical. I've read that this bike actually does well for a bigger bike in the technical spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online