FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Beautiful wagon and looking forward to the build. Question on the adapter, if you will. I used Advanced Adapters for my LS swap, just a bell housing, but I thought Marks adapters used a spud shaft deal which I didn't care for. I didn't know AA sold Marks stuff, is this correct?

Thanks for clearing my confusion.

Yes, AA sells Marks adapters. I think they are one of the only, if not the only, USA vendors for Marks.

Yes, it is a complex piece and it does have a spud shaft. I was sold on the idea by the fact that you don't have to move the trans mount, thus leaving the driveshafts alone, but it appears that this truck has had the drivetrain moved anyway, so that's a moot point. I will detail the bellhousing adapter more thoroughly when the time comes.

Thanks for watching.

Matt

Awesome. Thanks for watching guys. I should have everything cleaned up and ready for building in the next few days. Had a couple setbacks around the property. Let's just say that CA summers are tough in the country, and that I hate having to go to the doctor.

In the meantime, check out the new tires on my garden tractor!

Old

New

Madbodhi

Observer
Lol. I work for John Deere in metal stamping. Probably made a good chunk of your tractor. Among my far too numerous projects is a John Deere 430. The diesel powered heavyweight of vintage Deere lawn tractors.

Lol. I work for John Deere in metal stamping. Probably made a good chunk of your tractor. Among my far too numerous projects is a John Deere 430. The diesel powered heavyweight of vintage Deere lawn tractors.
That's awesome. I never realized they made a diesel lawn tractor.

I also have a big JD. It's a 302A and kind of a piece of junk, but it lifts 3500 lbs in the bucket, so I'll never get rid of it.

After a few days down with an injury to the eyeball, I've finally gotten back the work on the FJ60. The engine and drivetrain is out, the inner fenders and hood as well. Took the fuel tank out and all the old fuel lines. I then spent a day cleaning the truck and its parts so I have a nice clean starting point. One of the things that I was curious about was the home made transmission crossmember. I took some measurements off it and sure enough, the previous build had the drivetrain moved forward about 2 inches. I want to move it back to its original position.

The bellhousing adapter has really piqued my interest and I can't wait to get my hands dirty with it. I did take it out of the box to get some measurements from it, but that's as far as I got with it.

Should have some nice, clean progress pics up in the next few days.

BTW- the radiator in it now is custom, aluminum and bolt in. There is a Champion radiator cap on it, but the owner doesn't know what brand the radiator is. Does anyone know if Champion made a bolt in radiator for the FJ60? I'd like to call them and ask their opinion on running it with a V8. Thanks in advance.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Are ya having any fun yet :)

This swap in an 80 or 60 really is a game changer in regard to how you view and drive the truck. My wife's 80 is stock power and always a let down for me after driving the swapped rigs. She refuses to let me swap it until it shoots a rod or similar..

Figured I'd show a couple pics of the MBZ engine.

I won't get rid of it quite yet, as I don't know what I might need off it. Once the V8 is up and running, it's outta here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles