Tepui Baja Series Roof Top Tent

Box Rocket

More market leading innovation from Tepui Tents!
Official Press release!
Tepui Tents Launches Versatile, Lightweight Baja Series of Rooftop Tents at 2016 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (August 1, 2016) — Tepui Tents, a leading innovator of rooftop tents and shelters, today announced its latest innovation – the Baja SeriesTM. The new tents in the Baja SeriesTM are the Santa Cruz-based brand’s lightest to-date and allow rooftop tent users to interchange canopies depending on the conditions they face.
“Over the years, we’ve led innovation in the rooftop tent space with our first ‘Ruggedized’ and ‘Sky’ tents, and with this expansion, we’re seeing more mainstream consumers who are looking for reliable, comfortable sleeping set ups for their time in the outdoors,” said Evan Currid, founder of Tepui Tents. “The Baja Series is our latest effort to offer the lightest, most versatile tents available.”
The patent-pending Baja SeriesTM tents utilize a Zipper GimpÔ to attach the canopy to the tent’s base. Three different canopies will be available: a mesh shade canopy for hot humid weather, a lightweight nylon rip-stop canopy for spring time or a heavy duty canopy for harsh winter conditions.
The Baja SeriesTM is the latest in Tepui’s growing list of innovations that have made the brand a category leader in rooftop tents. Tepui has developed the market for rooftop tents initially seen as an overlanding necessity into affordable and comfortable sleeping options for mainstream outdoor consumers. In Spring 2016, Tepui became the first rooftop tent manufacturer to be available at major retailers, including REI, Bass Pro Shops, Backcoutnry.com and Cabela’s.
Tepui Tents will display the new Baja SeriesTM, along with models from its current line, August 3-6 in booth No. 36212 of the main hall at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Salt Lake City.
http://tepuitents.com/pages/baja-series-roof-top-tents

Last edited:

TheFutur

Adventurer
Definitely like this idea. Any idea on price for a tent base and the winter and spring canopies?

0uTkAsT

Gun Toting Gearhead
Interesting concept, Tepui is definitely differentiating itself from the hordes of similar brands and styles.

I'm curious about the price point for the tent itself, the alternative canopies (presumably sold separately), and also whether or not the mesh canopy will include a removable rainfly for pop-up storms.

SnoViking

Adventurer
This is a great idea! I was always curious why the RTTs went right to heavy canvas or poly-canvas bodies with mesh windows, and then covered it all in a roof fly, verses a mesh body (top half) and a movable/removable canopy similar to how most ground tents are.

I think I know what my next RTT will be.

Box Rocket

This is being debuted tomorrow at the Outdoor Retailer Show so I expect that pricing will follow not long after along with more details about canopy options etc.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Had an excellent response to the Baja Series tents this past week at the Outdoor Retailer show in SLC, Utah. Pricing looks like it will be ~$1350.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Interested in weight and thickness closed including the ladder. Especially, will it be flat closed or have a ladder bump.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Interested in weight and thickness closed including the ladder. Especially, will it be flat closed or have a ladder bump.
Kurt (our warehouse guy) just built his own Baja Kukenam tent and it came in at 119 lbs, as mounted on his Passat. He also included the Anti-Condensation mat, which is 17 lbs, so that will bring the Baja tent at around 102 lbs!
As for the canopy itself, it weighs in a just below 6 lbs.
The Baja Series uses the one of Tepui's existing bases. If you buy it ready to go it is currently offered in the Kukenam size with the standard base but it's possible to use a Ruggedized base as well if a customer wants. Of course the Ruggedized base would increase the weight over the standard base. Since it uses one of the current base platforms and frame, the ladder attaches the same way so yes there would be a ladder hump when closed. Likewise, the hinges are the same so the closed height will be essentially the same on the hinge side and slightly shorter on the ladder side with the mesh canopy since there is much less material. Heighest point would be ~15" total height including mounting rails, ladder.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Are these shipping now?

What are the various configurations?
-Mesh
-Mesh with fly cover
-Non-Mesh cover
-TBD

Can everything be bought as one kit for a specific model?

Any videos of the various covers being switched out.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Also, what model is this one?

Baja_02_zpsff26v3r2.jpg

Box Rocket

Are these shipping now?

What are the various configurations?
-Mesh
-Mesh with fly cover
-Non-Mesh cover
-TBD

Can everything be bought as one kit for a specific model?

Any videos of the various covers being switched out.

Yessir, they are now available on the Tepui website. Currently all models that don't normally include an annex are available. (Kukenam, KukenamXL and Ayer)
You can order these in a couple variations. Either with the mesh canopy, or with our Ultralite Nylon Ripstop canopy (available in green, grey, orange). Rainfly is included with either option.
If ordered with the Mesh Canopy, the UltraLite canopy can be added for MSRP $424. If ordered with the Ultralite canopy, the mesh canopy can be added for MSRP $299.
No videos at the moment, however it is very simple with an easy to use zipper gimp. Zip off one canopy and lay another canopy over the tent frame and zip it on.
For the future, Tepui is looking to make all the different canopies with the zipper gimp so that any canopy can be used with any tent base. (For example, a Ruggedized canopy could be changed out with a Mesh canopy on a non-ruggedized base, or a Mesh canopy and Ultralite canopy could be used on a Ruggedized base. I don't have an ETA on this yet.
The model in the attached photo is the Kukenam with mesh canopy.
As always, 10% off on these when ordered through me.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Box Rocket,

Thank you for the information. This is great info. Being able to switch between any and all tent bodies on a given base will really open up the possibilities.

NoOneBetter

Observer
The Baja series is pretty cool. I would have seriously considered it if it was available a year ago when I was in the market.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Just curious, but can an older style tent be retrofitted to the newer Baja series tents? Seems like the only difference is the "zipper gimp" which looks like just the bottom half of a tent canopy. Or are the poles and everything else different on the Baja Series?

Box Rocket

Just curious, but can an older style tent be retrofitted to the newer Baja series tents? Seems like the only difference is the "zipper gimp" which looks like just the bottom half of a tent canopy. Or are the poles and everything else different on the Baja Series?

If you have a Tepui tent, then the Baja series canopy should be able to be used with your existing base. You'd have to remove the originally canopy from the base and insert the "zipper gimp" into the track and then the Baja canopy could be zipped on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior