Road to SEMA, A 90 day build ROUND 2

ericvs

Its been busy, busy we are a little slow on adding more pics but here is a clip of the rear bumper fabrication going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfE9By4wmbg

This is going to be a rear tube bumper with spare tire carrier and gas can rack.

The build continues........

This thing is gonna be awesome!

Question for you on the rear bumper swing away, on my friends 2009 GMC van, the rear door pivots from the outside edge of the van (instead of along the back). This wouldn't allow him to mount a pivot as you have here as the door would hit it way before it was fully open. The created the need to have the bumper swing below the bottom plane of the rear door. Does this van rear door operate differently? Would you be able to take a picture of the rear door open with that pivot mount?

Thanks!

710m

Observer
Can't wait to see what you come up with since this is basically my van :). Does this already have the lift from Quigley or are you putting on your own lift?

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Bumper opps

This thing is gonna be awesome!

Question for you on the rear bumper swing away, on my friends 2009 GMC van, the rear door pivots from the outside edge of the van (instead of along the back). This wouldn't allow him to mount a pivot as you have here as the door would hit it way before it was fully open. The created the need to have the bumper swing below the bottom plane of the rear door. Does this van rear door operate differently? Would you be able to take a picture of the rear door open with that pivot mount?

Thanks!

fUNNY THAT YOU MENTION THAT! We were having so much fun building and then opened the door!!:oops: so since this pic was posted we have changed the rear bumper design......... I will be sure to add some pics next week of how we are doing it...

philos

Explorer
fUNNY THAT YOU MENTION THAT! We were having so much fun building and then opened the door!!:oops: so since this pic was posted we have changed the rear bumper design......... I will be sure to add some pics next week of how we are doing it...

I feel like I've played a similar game to that one before, hehehe.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Round 2.. Back bumper

With a small error on the back door opening we changed up the rear to a dual swing and its coming along great! NO problems with the door opening.

More to come! stay posted....

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
We added the dual spare tire mounts and swings, now it time to build the latches. Next week we will be adding the rear air conditioning along with some of the ducting as we start to move inside.
Inside we are going to add a couple of windows and Toyota Sienna seats.... and then some.

Thanks for watching, see ya next week.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
LightForce Performance Ligthing

The best part of this build is working with other companies that supply great products to the off-road community. "The Road to Sema, a 90 day build" has allowed us to use some of these products first hand and become familiar with them. We hope that our experience with these products will help you with your build. We are overly excited that LightFORCE Performance Lighting joined this build early on. With so many lighting options, we knew they would have the perfect combination of lights to completely outfit this van build.
Today was like Christmas as the UPS driver had a big box of LightFORCE lights that needed a home.

Next comes the fun part of installing them! This Chevrolet Quigley 4x4 van may never see darkness again with these lighting combinations.... :Wow1:

4Fox

Observer
Like all the other GM guys, I'm really excited to see where this is going!

BTW, I'm liking those steps...

86cj

Explorer
Sure could gain ALOT of clearance getting rid of the factory receiver hitch, a simple strong 2" tube between the frame rails? AWD vans don't tow 10,000 lbs and might like a bumper hitch tow point with some offroad clearance help....Maybe another version just for offroad clearance without the swingout hinge so low and angular with a 2" receiver.............

Last edited:

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Vans can tow. Good body on frame van can be in the 10k neighborhood as well. OK, so YOU won't tow 10k. But what about using the hitch as a recovery point. Vans are not light, and when packed full of stuff they get down right heavy. If someone needs a good recovery point in the back (weather being the tower or the towed) a stout hitch is usually the first place hooked onto.

If you are going to redesign a hitch for a van, sure hope you are planning on keeping it substantial. Not sure a section of 2" tubing between the frame rails is the best idea. The factory hitches are beefy for a reason.

86cj

Explorer
I meant a 2" receiver tube up between the frame rails, it can be made as stout as you want it's OK with me, I would use it for a portable winch mount. The normal below frame hitches are rated for proper heavy towing they just kill departure angles, if I hauled a 10,000lb trailer that is what I would use. Moving the spare tire up on a swingout and having hitch in the bumper would help ALOT since the GM vans don't usually get a big lift.

4x4pair

Adventurer
I agree. I drag the back of my E350 EB van on everything...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Quigley 4x4 suspension lift

I agree. I drag the back of my E350 EB van on everything...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The nice thing about the Chevrolet van is the rear wheel is closer to the back of the van then the E series reducing the overhang and improving departure angle. This van has a 4" lift on 35" General Grabber tires so it has pretty good ground clearance. I the front it will be a 5" lift equipped with custom boxed lower and upper arms with a set of king coilovers to eliminate the torsion bars. :Wow1:

As far towing and the receiver goes this van is going to tow! and like broncobowsher^^^ said i don't want to rely on 2" .120 tubing to tow 10,000 lbs. This Chevrolet 3500 Quigley 4x4 is equipped with the Duramax Diesel so towing will be in its future.

We will be sure to put this van through the ringer and works great before it will be available to the rest of you Quigley owners.

86cj

Explorer
The nice thing about the Chevrolet van is the rear wheel is closer to the back of the van then the E series reducing the overhang and improving departure angle. This van has a 4" lift on 35" General Grabber tires so it has pretty good ground clearance. I the front it will be a 5" lift equipped with custom boxed lower and upper arms with a set of king coilovers to eliminate the torsion bars. :Wow1:

As far towing and the receiver goes this van is going to tow! and like broncobowsher^^^ said i don't want to rely on 2" .120 tubing to tow 10,000 lbs. This Chevrolet 3500 Quigley 4x4 is equipped with the Duramax Diesel so towing will be in its future.

We will be sure to put this van through the ringer and works great before it will be available to the rest of you Quigley owners.

I just wanted to give a much needed aftermarket mfg some ideas, I do like your bumper and other work on the van so far you are an artist. Those of us without a 4" lift and 35" tires could use a little help out back when using our GM vans on forest roads, and it could help them get off their wallet.

I did not mean a 2" round .120 wall is a good idea to tow 10,000lbs, "just a 2" receiver and spare tire up higher than stock".....10,000lb tow rating sounds good to me..:ylsmoke::ylsmoke:

Glad to hear your working on the GM IFS suspension, very good news!..AWD Vans could use a 3-4" lift with new upper control arms..

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Chevrolet Quigley 4x4 road to Sema build

With another fun but short week ahead of us there is still so much to do! Last week we got the giant 12' roof rack in place and started mounting it.

This week we should have the the rock sliders close to being completed as well. They will be a bolt/weld on style so that they can be powder coated by Powder1.
If we are really lucky we will be starting the cage on the inside as well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles