Road to SEMA, A 90 day build ROUND 2

wjeeper

I never felt like i was driving a 10K + van as it hugged the highway through the turns and cruised at 85 great. On the way home Kaiden and i ventured out into Plaster City to see what it was like Off Road. Definitely fun through the desert and had to remind my self I was in a van not my Pre-Runner, HAHA. Here are a few pics

I cant believe there is a 4000± lb difference between the 90 day van and my AWD express:Wow1:...............now I see why you were surprised when we weighed my van for springs!

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I cant believe there is a 4000± lb difference between the 90 day van and my AWD express:Wow1:...............now I see why you were surprised when we weighed my van for springs!

Ha ha! Me too! Jeremy had the same reaction!

uc

3,640kg (8,025 lbs.) for the biggest Roadtrek available at the time (no passengers or equipment but full of gas and fresh water):

uc

wjeeper

Mat Mobile: I am surprised that with a full camper build-out yours is that light! I was a bit surprised when mine came back @ 6300 lbs. (75% built interior, full fuel tank, me sitting in the drivers seat and a bunch of work tools piled in there) I couldn't believe it so I went to a second CAT scale and it was within a few pounds.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Mat Mobile: I am surprised that with a full camper build-out yours is that light! I was a bit surprised when mine came back @ 6300 lbs. (75% built interior, full fuel tank, me sitting in the drivers seat and a bunch of work tools piled in there) I couldn't believe it so I went to a second CAT scale and it was within a few pounds.

@wjeeper: I guess it's because it's really a cut-away. The whole back end is fiberglass. That being said, I still didn't expect it to be that light. I'm still wondering how it will work out on rough roads. I'm not planning on taking it "off-roading"... but I think there's a fine line between off-roading and driving rough roads that's really easy to cross.

I think the SEMA van is heavy because of the roll cage inside, the roof rack/basket and the slide out.

@wjeeper: I guess it's because it's really a cut-away. The whole back end is fiberglass. That being said, I still didn't expect it to be that light. I'm still wondering how it will work out on rough roads. I'm not planning on taking it "off-roading"... but I think there's a fine line between off-roading and driving rough roads that's really easy to cross.

I think the SEMA van is heavy because of the roll cage inside, the roof rack/basket and the slide out.

What's the wheelbase of your van? It looks like a similar layout to the Ford vans with the regular wheelbase and an extended body. Overall it doesn't look much longer than mine but I have the 155" wheelbase.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
What's the wheelbase of your van? It looks like a similar layout to the Ford vans with the regular wheelbase and an extended body. Overall it doesn't look much longer than mine but I have the 155" wheelbase.

Hmmm... interesting.

For 2017, "vans" there's 2 wheelbases (135" and 155") and for "cutaways" there's 3 wheelbases (139", 159" and 177").

Mine is a 139" wheelbase (but a '98).

SARguru

Observer
Jeremy,
I was looking at the Express stuff on your website, are the 3inch spindles and the ones in the 5.5inch kit the same??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Chevrolet Express Quigley 4x4 coilover suspension

Jeremy,
I was looking at the Express stuff on your website, are the 3inch spindles and the ones in the 5.5inch kit the same??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and no.
They are the same spindle with the addition of a vertical uni-ball for the new upper control arms. I will post pics in the other thread with this lift kit.

I have been slacking on posting pics of the latest Black Quigley 4x4 van we have been building, here is a few of it sitting really nice on Method Race Wheels and 35" General Grabber X3 tires

Hmmm... interesting.

For 2017, "vans" there's 2 wheelbases (135" and 155") and for "cutaways" there's 3 wheelbases (139", 159" and 177").

Mine is a 139" wheelbase (but a '98).

I didn't realize yours is a cutaway. I thought they just tacked on the back of the body behind the rear axle, and didn't think the WHOLE body was fiberglass. That'll trim the weight.

The SEMA van is also heavy because the Duramax engine is very heavy. I've read it's 900lbs heavier than the 6.0L gas V8.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
ROUND 2. ITS TIME FOR ANOTHER SEMA BUILD!!

We hope that you enjoyed last years Sema build, so we thought why not do it again! We really love developing new products for all of you van lovers. Make sure you subscribe to this thread along with our youtube channel and be sure to follow us on social media. Links Below.

Here goes another 90 days of fun and craziness!

haven

Expedition Leader
Good luck with your project. The SEMA show starts on October 31, so you actually have just 9 and a half weeks! Las Vegas is a great place to be on Halloween.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Sema 2017 Update

A little update on this build:
This build like last year stated with a crazy idea and then attempted to execute it to the best of our abilities. This year was a little different when it came to the actual build because it was not a Chevrolet Express Cargo but a Explorer Van conversion on the inside. In theory this would make our job a lot easier not having to build the interior and focus on the exterior and suspension. Yep in a perfect world..... lol
So we waited for the van to arrive form the dealer that was so eager to have us build them a van with our components for SEMA 2017! and waited and waited and waited:oops:, then the calls stop being returned. As time went by we came to learn that the individual who approved this build went way beyond his pay grade as only a car sales man could!
Sema 2017 THE END!

Ok not really we don't give up that easy!, but definitely put a wrench in things! At this point we have already committed to a build for Sema 2017. We have been working on a lot of new products that we wanted to use this opportunity to showcase and display. Luckily for us we had another customer who had already purchased a Chevrolet Express 3500 van with the interior build by Explorer. After a phone call or 10 Kaiden and I were on our way to Hermosa Beach, CA to pick up Jeff's van to try and pull of this build in true REALITY TV fashion with less then 3 weeks until Sema!

At first glance it look like a 2 wheel drive with minimal ground clearance and skirting ground effects.

Of course we made a fun boys trip with a stop at the beach and Kaiden's lunch choice of DQ.

So if you have been curious to where the build pics and videos have been, we haven't forgot about you guys and will be posting more now. I think we need to start next years build in January! :coffee:

Thanks for tuning in:

Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke