Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Tundra Build - The Occupational Hazard

I have a soft spot for reg cab short box trucks. Looks great.

Good looking Tundra, one of my favorite colors.
    1994 K3500 CCLB NV4500/L18 8.1L swap in progress/ 1988 7.5' Mitchell Camper
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...0172-7K-of-USA

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Outback View Post
    Good looking Tundra, one of my favorite colors.
    Mine too. Looks good, doesn't show dirt or scratches much.

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchMonkey_ View Post
    I have a soft spot for reg cab short box trucks. Looks great.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    It's so short! I imagine you can actually turn around on a trail in less than 10 points
    I'm pretty sure it's shorter than the Frontier was, even with the ridiculously short box on that. As a guy that spent ten years driving an ambulance around a city of 200,000, I can turn around just about anywhere, but the truck is super manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkid85 View Post
    I LOVE the rcsb Tundras! Leave the chrome, its fine. Add larger tires.
    Thanks for the vote on the chrome. It will probably stay for now. As for the tires, it'll be due for new sneakers in about 10k miles or less. I don't want to go too big and make the gas mileage worse than it already is. This is my daily driver. I will investigate going a little bigger next time, though.

Quick project for the evening. I pulled the rear bumper off, sanded the rust off the backside then primed and undercoated it. Should keep it from rusting through. Always nice when an hour's work and ten bucks can hopefully save you hundreds in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkid85 View Post
    I LOVE the rcsb Tundras! Leave the chrome, its fine. Add larger tires.
    What he said.

One of the benefits of working at a car store. My boss was trading in a Tundra he bought a few months ago, so we swapped intakes. You gotta love a free K&N intake.
    20161127_143720.jpg
    Last edited by ambulancemonkee; 01-02-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ambulancemonkee View Post
    As for the tires, it'll be due for new sneakers in about 10k miles or less. I don't want to go too big and make the gas mileage worse than it already is. This is my daily driver. I will investigate going a little bigger next time, though.
    Bigger diameter tires shouldn't negatively effect your fuel mileage. Higher weight will result in a small negative hit in stop and go driving, but the larger diameter will have slightly better rolling resistance.

The big hit comes from stiff casings and gnarly tread. 285/75/r17 is a good size for RW rims on the Tundra (33.8" vs ~32" stock) and should work fine with only minor trimming. I'd go for Dura Grapplers in that size if I had your rims. https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-75R17.htm

Wish this body style was still available! Great looking truck!
    Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home.... Metallica, the black album.

http://northwestoverland.com/

KG7TZO

Tires are going to be either Grabber AT2s or KO2s. I had the Grabbers on my Xterra and I have the KOs on the Tundra now. I'm pretty interested in sticking with something that is "severe snow service" rated. Size remains TBD.

Quote Originally Posted by washington taco View Post
    Wish this body style was still available! Great looking truck!
    Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't need an extended cab by the time I get done with this truck. The 8 foot box isn't my style. My boss is already calling this one a "farm truck" and the long bed would be worse.

After deleting everything off my photobucket when they pulled their paid subscription crap, I had no photos in this thread. I just went through and attached some.

About a month ago, I finally got new tires for the truck. After 62k, the original KO2s were hosed. I replaced them with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Severe snow service rated and $710 to my door. They are the stock 285/70/17 size, but the sidewalls seem to stick out a bit more than the KO2s. This gives my wheels a little more protection, but the right front actually rubs a little bit at full lock. In addition to the metric size, they say "33x10.50"

I'm very impressed with the performance in the snow, and if they last half as long as the KO2s, I'll call it a win for the price. Most other things are on hold with the truck until better weather, but I'll be doing Raptor Liner on the bumpers and step bars this summer, along with getting a body color matched grill surround intended for the Rock Warrior trim. The new TRD shocks seem adequate for what I do with the truck. I'll also hopefully be picking up some sort of cap for it this summer, since I do nothing with the truck that requires an open truck bed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12