Window insert for 12VDC fan ventilation

Catsmith

Well I'm learning.....wrote a well thought out reply and then a hour or two later managed to erase it.......wish I knew how I did it. Might need to do it again one day.

Anywho.....any updates on the fan project?

I have the parts and will start soon. Louisiana weather has adjustment issues. Might be summer tomorrow.

I sleep in my 2000 yukon xl week nights and home with my blushing bride on the weekends.

Thank you for this thread. I've read it quite a few times.

rayra

Expedition Leader
No real updates. The quad fan setup has been used a couple times on errand runs around town with the dogs in the car. But it helps greatly that I can just open the sunroof completely and with the windows down 4-6" and the roof deck shade, the interior doesn't get much over ambient. I did spot my GSD sitting in the seat one time with his head positioned in the fan draft. Buy he might have been looking thru the fans themselves.

I haven't overnighted in the vehicle since I built the quad-fan version, but I got a new DSLR this Christmas and I'm eagerly awaiting some heavy snow in the Sierras so I can make my long-desired photo trip up the 395.

And I'll have the right rear trim off in the near future to fix a problem with the rear PowerPort and when I do I'll be experimenting with routing some switched Aux power to the rear A/C blower.

Photobug

Its been my experience when using a rheostat to control a DC motor is bad Ju-Ju. well, on the trolling motor for my boat, it was.

If you want variable speed for the fan, pick up cheap a Pulse Width Modulator off amazon that matches your amp draw and voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pulse+width+modulator

If I was to build something like this and wanted to put in a PWM controller I would assume I need something offering a range of under 12 V? Some of the suggested PWM modules have a range of 10-50v. I was thinking of this PWM controller.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Depends on the load / amps. Computer modders have been using rheostats on computer fans for a very long time without trouble.

Those PWM micro controllers on Amazon look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier