Window insert for 12VDC fan ventilation

krick3tt

Adventurer
window vent

I thought about the fan idea but it seemed better for my situation to get an insert that was louvered and had a screen for bugs. A company in UK has these for the LR and with the moon roof cracked a bit and these inserted into the window they work very well to eliminate heat build up.
DSC05348.jpg

boll_rig

Adventurer
Great design, great execution. I assume there's a switch to reverse the fans as well?

The whole idea of running the rear ac fan off the aux battery and on an independent switch is really intriguing.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Probably true and something to consider for future builds, it's only a couple $ more. I'm also an old school computer case modder (same username on [H]ardForum), where rheostats were long used without any noticeable trouble. A rheostat can build up a lot of heat, but at the very low volts / amps of these computer fans, it's negligible.

almac

hey rayra, what do you do when it rains? looks like you need to add somekind of drip cap or something along the top to keep the rain off. great idea. :)

southpier

Expedition Leader
wouldn't that defeat the purpose? combined with a weatherguard type rain deflector it could be a contender.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Defeat what / whose purpose? Mine is to have ventilation / air circulation while I sleep in the parked and shut off vehicle in the summertime. It it's raining it's likely cool enough I don't need it. And it takes all of 5 seconds to remove / replace it, during a rainstorm. So why would I need to bother with a gutter / shield?

You go ahead and fabricate such a thing if you want, I don't need need it. Besides I'm in the desert southwest. Rain isn't much of a concern.

One could likely fit the common available shields and build a fan insert that utilizes 60mm fans instead. A row of (8) would fit in the same space as my 120mm design. And at 15-25cfm each you'd get about the same total cfm as the 120mm design and have it fit up tight under a aftermarket rain / vent shield.

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe a row of 40mm fans instead. Could fit (12) of those

southpier

Expedition Leader
Defeat what / whose purpose? Mine is to have ventilation / air circulation while I sleep in the parked and shut off vehicle in the summertime. It it's raining it's likely cool enough I don't need it. And it takes all of 5 seconds to remove / replace it, during a rainstorm. So why would I need to bother with a gutter / shield?...

One could likely fit the common available shields and build a fan insert that utilizes 60mm fans instead. A row of (8) would fit in the same space as my 120mm design. And at 15-25cfm each you'd get about the same total cfm as the 120mm design and have it fit up tight under a aftermarket rain / vent shield.

defensiveness aside, I think the Forum readers extend past the SW Desert line and assumed the post was intended for a broader audience. hypothetically, a person could fall asleep when it was not raining, and said rain event could take place while they were sleeping so soundly their slumber could go uninterrupted. and yet, they could awaken to a breakfast of soggy cornflakes:(

think how their entire annual vacation would be ruined, when a simple rain deflector could have prevented such a tragedy.

Lykos

Super Trucker
A now out of business company called Salem Vent and Shade made window fans for heavy truck sleepers at one time.
I had a white peterbilt equipped with one and it would consistently cool the sleeper down to 12 degrees below outside temp.
It was a single 12 V computer fan in a box designed specifically for the sleeper window.. I think it exchanged the air in my 72" sleeper every five minutes or so. This was especially nice in high humidity areas where the fan would keep condensation to a minimum.

I think you'll have excellent results with your design.

rayra

Expedition Leader
defensiveness aside, I think the Forum readers extend past the SW Desert line and assumed the post was intended for a broader audience. hypothetically, a person could fall asleep when it was not raining, and said rain event could take place while they were sleeping so soundly their slumber could go uninterrupted. and yet, they could awaken to a breakfast of soggy cornflakes:(

think how their entire annual vacation would be ruined, when a simple rain deflector could have prevented such a tragedy.

oh ffs, that isn't even quality hectoring. 'Soggy cornflakes.' This is 'Overlanding'. All our gourmet pan-meal fixings are supposed to be in pelican cases.

/I've got your 'defensiveness' right here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94