Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 G550 - Tire Options

Default 2017 G550 - Tire Options

So I have ordered a 2017 G550 which will arrive in October. I'm looking to install BFGoodrich ATs but am having trouble figuring out the right rim and tire combination. I have read issues of larger then stock diameter causing issues with ESP and even rubbing at full articulation. It seems that the Mike Horn G Class expedition got the combination right. Can anyone tell me what rim and tire combo was used on these trucks? Any advise would be appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxDHEPpvM4

Thanks!

That truck probably had a small suspension lift with stiffer springs so you can't go by that to figure out your tire size. You need to make sure the bigger tires are not going to void the warranty. I think you can go up to a 32" tire size without rubbing, you will need to have someone with a MB Star diagnostic system change the tire size selection in the system and you will probably be all set with ESP and the speedometer and odometer will read correctly.
    2000 Europa G500, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro, 30mm H&R wheel spacers, 40mm spring spacer lift, custom Front Runner rack, 40" Front Runner LED bar, Front Runner cargo net, custom rear bumper with tire carrier, ORC spare wheel storage compartment, VTS transfer case protection plate, VTS aux water tank, ORC 1.5" body lift, custom dual battery compartment, National Luna dual battery controller, custom dual steering damper mounts, Koni Raid shocks; 1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser on 37's

Quote Originally Posted by ILIAN View Post
    That truck probably had a small suspension lift with stiffer springs so you can't go by that to figure out your tire size. You need to make sure the bigger tires are not going to void the warranty. I think you can go up to a 32" tire size without rubbing, you will need to have someone with a MB Star diagnostic system change the tire size selection in the system and you will probably be all set with ESP and the speedometer and odometer will read correctly.
    I'd be surprised if Mercedes lifted a G Class for a corporate sponsored adventure trip. Maybe I'm wrong though. Does it look lifted to you?

They have a lot of OEM options for the suspension. They could have used a spring/ shock combo from the military variants to make the G look good for a publicity event like this. A lot of people have been able to fit 33 inch tires on the G500 with no lift. First I would go to the dealer and find out what optional tire sizes they have programmed in the system and go with one of those that's around a 32 inch OD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    2000 Europa G500, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro, 30mm H&R wheel spacers, 40mm spring spacer lift, custom Front Runner rack, 40" Front Runner LED bar, Front Runner cargo net, custom rear bumper with tire carrier, ORC spare wheel storage compartment, VTS transfer case protection plate, VTS aux water tank, ORC 1.5" body lift, custom dual battery compartment, National Luna dual battery controller, custom dual steering damper mounts, Koni Raid shocks; 1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser on 37's

Agreed

There has definitely been some suspension work done on his vehicle.
    -----
    Photographer, African Safari Guide, Father, Husband, Supreme Goofball
    www.andybiggs.com
    www.theglobalphotographer.com

1995 Range Rover Classic LWB
    2003 Geländewagen G500 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by safariguy View Post
    There has definitely been some suspension work done on his vehicle.
    Agreed. It may only be a 1-2 inch lift, but his shocks are external reservoirs. Not Kings or Fox... maybe Ohlins? https://www.ohlins.com/products/automotive/92/0/

Heli Nomad, what size tires are you looking to put on your G? I have a 2000 G500 with 33" tires on it and no lift. Previously I ran both Goodyear DT and BFG KO2 in 275/70-18. Tomorrow my new Cooper ST Maxx come in. I am using 2015 G550 wheels for the et43 offset. I only had rubbing with my old et63 euro spec Ashtaroths. In fact, I am running the same springs you have on your truck, double yellow stripe as my truck came with softer front springs which didn't complement my front winch bumper.

As far as ESP issues, you should be able to change your settings via the STAR diagnostic system to a larger tire size eliminating ESP issues. On my truck, I believe I used one for the Michelin xzl sizes 8.0, 8.5 or something to adjust my speedo and odo.

probably the michelin xzl 8.25-16 size that is used on the Canadian forces G-wagens? Don't think there are any xzl's in 18 inch rim sizes...

Quote Originally Posted by Adoni View Post
    Heli Nomad, what size tires are you looking to put on your G? I have a 2000 G500 with 33" tires on it and no lift. I am running the same springs you have on your truck, double yellow stripe as my truck came with softer front springs which didn't complement my front winch bumper.
    I thought yellow was one of the softest springs? The stock early MB G500s were yellow-orange 3 stripe. My G500 has Brown springs up front and came with a winch bumper.
    My SWB 463 has two stripe yellow springs all around.

As for the OP, you need to figure out what your new car's wheel size is, 18", 19", or 20". Things have changed in the last couple model years. 18 rims may not fit over the brake calipers any more. I know for sure that 18" rims will not fit on the G63, the G550 may have different, smaller front calipers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by otiswesty; 11-23-2016 at 03:56 AM.
    1999 Mercedes Benz G500
    1995 Mercedes Benz G320 SWB
    1989 VW Syncro Westfalia 2.5
    1978 VW Westfalia deluxe

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast