2017 G550 - Tire Options

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Okay so I wasn't super pleased with the way the tire was filling the the wheel well. So after reading at nausea about ESP and rubbing side effects I settled on 265/65 R18 (overall 31.6") as the perfect safe size. I did lots of drive testing today and could not get the ESP issue to show it self. Handling is identical and so is the speedometer. An 1" over stock seems to be a safe bet. I also am far from rubbing anything at full articulation. You could probably do a full 32" but then I don't think it will fit the spare tire cover I like. Tomorrow I get my spare done as they only had 4 in stock...so I'll report back. New photos below:

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

ntan

Adventurer
Looks great, HeliNomad. We did an ~32" tire on our G63 (275/55R20). Yes, 20", but it works. We also went with the BFG KO2.

94rover

Still looking good! I ride 265/65/18 too. I asked about your tire cover before knowing your tire size was 265/60/18 (aware that Vlad carries them). A 463 890 6708 is MB part #
I have a knock off version of your tire cover I ordered from www.boomco.com that barely fits over my BFG KO's & will someday order the MB soft spare cover and certain it too will barely fit.
Again, awesome G you have

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Still looking good! I ride 265/65/18 too. I asked about your tire cover before knowing your tire size was 265/60/18 (aware that Vlad carries them). A 463 890 6708 is MB part #
I have a knock off version of your tire cover I ordered from www.boomco.com that barely fits over my BFG KO's & will someday order the MB soft spare cover and certain it too will barely fit.
Again, awesome G you have

Alright good news...the spare tire cover does fit, albeit tightly, over a fully inflated (40psi) 265/65 R18 BFG AT KOs tire.

IMG_2200 (1).jpg

chinochulo

Looks great, HeliNomad. We did an ~32" tire on our G63 (275/55R20). Yes, 20", but it works. We also went with the BFG KO2.

ntan, can you post some photos of your G63 with the 32" BFG KO2s? Did you put the same tire on your spare as well or do you have a 19" spare?

greynolds

Observer
ntan, can you post some photos of your G63 with the 32" BFG KO2s? Did you put the same tire on your spare as well or do you have a 19" spare?
I'm not ntan and can't post photos yet because my 2017 G63 is still en-route (I'm hoping to have it next week), but I'll be going with those same tires on mine. The salesperson checked with the service staff and they confirmed that the size will work fine on the G63, but the speedometer might be off by a few miles per hour. If that can't be adjusted in the star diagnostics (does anyone have a list of the tire sizes that can be selected?), that's something I can live with.

Regarding the spare tire, my understanding is that the Mercedes spare tire cover won't fit 275/55R20's, so I'm keeping the original spare tire for now as that's what the dealer recommended.

chinochulo

I'm not ntan and can't post photos yet because my 2017 G63 is still en-route (I'm hoping to have it next week), but I'll be going with those same tires on mine. The salesperson checked with the service staff and they confirmed that the size will work fine on the G63, but the speedometer might be off by a few miles per hour. If that can't be adjusted in the star diagnostics (does anyone have a list of the tire sizes that can be selected?), that's something I can live with.

Regarding the spare tire, my understanding is that the Mercedes spare tire cover won't fit 275/55R20's, so I'm keeping the original spare tire for now as that's what the dealer recommended.

Greynolds
that would be great if you can get some photos up! I have seen photos of a G63 with Terra Grapplers in that size... I have a few electrical problems with my 2014 G550 so may be switching to a newer model or G63 in a few years after warranty runs out.
So in essence the stealership recommended that your spare tire become useless since your 4 other tires have larger diameters? I see a lot of G-wagens roll like that after they put on those 22" bling dubs but not too practical when you really need the spare right?

greynolds

Observer
So in essence the stealership recommended that your spare tire become useless since your 4 other tires have larger diameters? I see a lot of G-wagens roll like that after they put on those 22" bling dubs but not too practical when you really need the spare right?
The slightly smaller spare should work fine in an emergency, I just wouldn't want to drive hundreds of miles with a different size tire. The bottom line is that you either replace all 5 tires and go without a cover on the spare (unless you get something aftermarket that fits the larger tire) or you keep the stock size spare and make sure you minimize how long you drive with it if you get a flat, just as you would with any other car that comes with a tiny spare tire. If I was going to go on an extended trip in the middle of nowhere, I would probably swap the spare tire with one that matches the other 4 and just go without the cover.

ntan

Adventurer
Here are a few photos with the new tires. Didn't swap out the spare yet because as greynolds said, it doesn't fit under the stock tire cover, so was going to look for a better option before doing it. It's my wife's car, so it's not seeing any hard terrain anytime soon.
IMG_20150504_231610.jpg
DSCF5321.jpg

chinochulo

thanks ntan--that looks hawt! Love the color on the vehicle too. Is your daily driver the Range Rover in your photo? My wife drives an LR4 and I drive the G.

ntan

Adventurer
Thanks chinochulo - haven't seen another in this color (Indium Grey) yet, but we like it.

That Range Rover used to be my daily driver, now I alternate between 2 Range Rover Classics and an AM.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Here are a few photos with the new tires. Didn't swap out the spare yet because as greynolds said, it doesn't fit under the stock tire cover, so was going to look for a better option before doing it. It's my wife's car, so it's not seeing any hard terrain anytime soon.
View attachment 378095
View attachment 378096

Looks super good. So no issues with ESP or rubbing on stock suspension? Have you put a tape measure on these to see if they are really 31.9"? I have seen BFG be a little under advertised. Either way this is a solid option for G63s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles