Small Off-Road Build

rodrage

Adventurer
Yes... still working on the firewood/jerry can box. I have yet to fit it to the front with the skin, but I wanted to wait until it got powder coated. Added the utility (water) plate and it was so thin that it got terrible burn through every time I tacked it, so I had to get a heavier plate. Should be ready for powder this weekend. Thanks for asking- I almost scrapped the idea, but it's hard to burn safely anywhere and parks are getting tough on people scavenging wood for camp. Here are a few of the old pics of how it will ride on the frame.
Cage0.jpg
cage1.jpg
Cage1.5.jpg
Cage3.jpg
Cage2.jpg

rodrage

Adventurer
All small parts are finally ready for the powder coating haul.... Unfortunately, I can't haul the frame and roof rack without another trailer to haul it on (seems redundant). So- they'll just have to wait for powder until August.
dgshaul.jpg

rodrage

Adventurer
Thanks Matt- logistics are preventing me form that as I'm trying to make a trip to my cabin at the same time. I actually have my utility trailer up there and bringing it back to do just that.

rodrage

Adventurer
Looking back, this build became an obsession with accumulated parts, different ideas, and "trying" to make an all-inclusive build where I'd want for nothing more. Ultimately, it was unlike the "truck-box" camp trailers that I used to build years ago- and was a really just a challenge. I found my old plans from @99-00, and realized that if I did it again, I'd probably just mod one of those older set-ups. It was so much easier and I could build one in a week or two. Funny thing now is that most of the "big" builders "newest" trailers are almost identical to the trailers we built almost 20 years ago.
To sum it up- keep it as simple as possible, save all the good ideas and energy for the camp, not the trailer.

rodrage

Adventurer
Old military stuff.... They fit the little 5/10? pound tanks perfectly. A small flange at the bottom or the top of the tank with the bracket gives it two points of mounting although you would be hard-pressed to budge the tank (even in a hard collision) with just the straps.

Old military stuff.... They fit the little 5/10? pound tanks perfectly. A small flange at the bottom or the top of the tank with the bracket gives it two points of mounting although you would be hard-pressed to budge the tank (even in a hard collision) with just the straps.

I'm going to go through my old take off air tank mounts we have at work . Hopefully I'll find one that fits :)

rodrage

Adventurer
Frame is ready for brush guard "Belly Pans" for the water tanks. I've tried, in the past to fab the pans for water tanks without the frame and then modify for the mounts only to scrap the whole part.It's much easier to have everything together, bolt it up; adjust if needed, and move on. Probably using 1/8" aluminum sheet again- it's a little pricey, but light weight and looks good. Once thy're done, hauling the frame and the safari rack to powder.

TRL1.jpg

rodrage

Adventurer
Finished the chassis. Now I have to align the Timbrens and get the box sides on so I can mount the chassis.
IMG_8258.jpg
IMG_8259.jpg

rodrage

Adventurer
Realized that I had posted any progress pics and the trailer is pretty complete at this point...I'll post them as soon as they get loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles