What not to do - top of rim trail in Moab

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I saw this posted on another forum and I think it's a good example of exactly what not to do.

Make sure you unfollow these dudes:

image.jpeg

I've always despised taggers, but at least they usually only deface man-made things.

Last edited:

jc2ep

I am sure this is a crime and actionable offense. I hope someone goes after them and prosecutes.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The white looks like chalk, which I wouldnt really care about. But the black looks like sharpie which is definitely not okay.

Rando

Explorer
The white looks like chalk, which I wouldnt really care about. But the black looks like sharpie which is definitely not okay.

Even if it is just chalk, it still bugs me. Why is it that people feel that they must "leave their mark"? Part of the reason many of us enjoy the wilds so much is to get away from the constant reminders of the rest of humanity. Someones initials or attempt at 'art' (even if it is not permanent) isn't an improvement over the beauty of nature. It is the same thing with the current craze of rock stacking that was talked about in another thread. Why can't people just leave things as they are?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Even if it is just chalk, it still bugs me. Why is it that people feel that they must "leave their mark"? Part of the reason many of us enjoy the wilds so much is to get away from the constant reminders of the rest of humanity. Someones initials or attempt at 'art' (even if it is not permanent) isn't an improvement over the beauty of nature. It is the same thing with the current craze of rock stacking that was talked about in another thread. Why can't people just leave things as they are?

I agree with you, but its funny how people love to go see all the drawings on rocks from hundreds of years ago.

CSG

Explorer
It is interesting that we cherish rock art from America's early inhabitants as well as pioneer markings along the old trails but to do it today is vandalism. Don't mistake what I'm saying here; I think it's totally wrong to mark trees, boulders, etc. with your name, etc. but it is a curious thing about how we cherish the past taggers and hate today's.

I remember that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where Belloch makes a point about a junky pocket watch of the day being a priceless heirloom in the future. As a onetime archaeology student at UCLA in those years, it was an interesting subject of discussion.

Ivan

Lost in Space
It is interesting that we cherish rock art from America's early inhabitants as well as pioneer markings along the old trails but to do it today is vandalism. Don't mistake what I'm saying here; I think it's totally wrong to mark trees, boulders, etc. with your name, etc. but it is a curious thing about how we cherish the past taggers and hate today's.

I remember that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where Belloch makes a point about a junky pocket watch of the day being a priceless heirloom in the future. As a onetime archaeology student at UCLA in those years, it was an interesting subject of discussion.

Not really. At all.

What makes those "tags" special is the mystery behind them.

Now? Everybody and their mom (literally) has an InstaTweetVineSnapGoogleFace. Where's the mystery?

Not to mention this type of behavior is added ammo to those who wish to shut down more trails, and egg to the face of everyone else who has enough common sense to tread lightly.

FauxLux

For me I guess, the answer is that, in one case I have become a time-traveller (and what's not cool about that!?), in the other, I'm reading......tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
Great way to call out this kinda crap is post the picture on your feed & call them out. I plan on doing this... on Instagram & Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W0lfpack91

I saw this posted on another forum and I think it's a good example of exactly what not to do.

Make sure you unfollow these dudes:

View attachment 359766

I've always despised taggers, but at least they usually only deface man-made things.
Back home in Arizona this would be considered a felony And would be prosecuted with a lot of jail time if they were caught. I mean whats wrong with an index card posed for a photo or at the very least chalk since it would dispose of itself naturally in the next rainfall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste