My M1101 Project

JPShooter

Adventurer
Here's a few pics of the M1101 that I recently acquired. I've decided to keep the hitch, the tires and the brakes stock for now and see how I like them.

I can't see getting rid of the tires with the run flat capabilities, as the way I see it this negates the need for a spare. And dropping down to the size on my truck would only lower the trailer about 2.5 inches. Not worth carrying a spare as I see it.

Electric brakes would be nice, but I'll just see how it goes. I have electric on two other trailers and it's definitely nice. But I've had surge brakes on a boat trailer and it worked as well.

The hitch is another of those "I'll just have to see how it works out" before I spend time and effort on changing it.

The rack I built from 2x2 steel square tubing for the uprights with 1.75 x 1.75 for the inserts to gain some telescoping capabilities (20 inches).

I built in telescoping capabilities not to bring it to camp height (the lowered position is it at camp height) but to be able to raise the rack should I choose to load a quad in under the rack (rack raised with linear actuators). The top of rack is 78 inches off the ground in the lowered position (where it will be all the time). But if I need to load and unload a quad then I need a little space over my head to be able to crouch down and drive the quad into the trailer when loading and unloading. From the floor of the trailer to the bottom of the rack is 41 inches in the lowered (normal) position, and will be at 61 inches when raised with the linear actuators.

I've seen others who are concerned with CG and want the tent lowered for travel. If you look at where the CG is for this trailer (well documented being a mil. spec. item) you will see that it sits just about the top of the frame in a stock empty configuration. Even with a steel rack like this and the largest and heaviest tent that CVT makes, the CG will not be raised a significant amount. The wide wheel base is definitely working in your favor here. I am sure that I would roll my Tundra before I could ever roll this trailer. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but suffice it to say that I will chicken out before I can roll it. But that's just my way of seeing it. :)

The upper cross members are 2x1x.120 steel. It's also braced for lateral strength. I've seen some racks built that have little to no bracing, and that scares me. Panic stops and fender benders can exert tremendous forces on a load up on a rack. I'm a bit of an over engineering type, but this trailer will carry about 2,700 pounds, so a few extra pounds in rack weight for safety is the least of my worries.

I just tonight got it to the state you see in the photos with the tent deployed in the driveway. There's a few misc. things that I wish to do yet before I head out for the maiden trip.

This is one fantastically well built trailer considering what you pay on average for these. We each have our own needs in an "expedition" or camping trailer, but I can't see many folks disappointed with an M1101/2 if they can get their hands on one.

Attachments

• IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5860.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

JPShooter

Adventurer
I've been giving a lot of thought as to what to do next in order to get this rig usable for some camping trips.

There is of course the issue of (in no particular order) water, shower, power, storage.

I had thought for some time that I would end up with some sort of travel trailer since most of the logistical issues are addressed, but the lack of mobility on anything but improved roads is what finally drove me in this direction. There are times when an improved campsite is just fine, but I don't want to be unable to get into the back country. I live about 55 miles south of the Canadian border in Idaho and there's a lot of country here that is off the beaten path.

So here's what I'm thinking with this trailer.

Water:
I don't want to have my main water tank in the trailer. If I need a refill, I don't wan't to have to pack up the tent to pull it to where the water is. I've had a cab over camper years ago and decided that was not for me. Not being able to run off for supplies without battening down all the hatches was a real pain. So I'm thinking about putting a 45 gallon vertical aluminum transfer tank in my truck bed in front of the truck box that I have in there now. That will give me generous supply of water for shower, sink etc. (drinking water will be separate).

Shower:
I am putting two 11 pound propane bottles in the trailer behind the wheel wells. That's the plan anyway. They will be here in a few days and I'll see if they fit where I hope to put them. They will be fuel for an Ecotemp L5 tankless water heater and to top of my small bottles for the coleman stove. For the water tank and pump for the shower setup I am waiting on a Northstar ATV 16 gal tank/pump sprayer unit (from Northern Tool) that will provide the pressure needed to run the tankless water heater. I will also have an assortment of water jugs in various capacities.

Power:
For electricity I have ordered an ArkPak 730 and a VMAX AGM 125AH battery which will be secured in an aluminum truck box secured in the front of the trailer bed.

Storage:
No storage drawers/pullouts for now, just large plastic storage boxes I've gotten from Costco.

No electric fridge for now, just coolers and ice. (SEE LATER POST, I CHANGED MY MIND ON THIS)

So in other words, for the time being this will NOT be major build project akin to a Schutt Xventure or something from Adventure Trailers. I want to use it in a basic configuration for a while and make changes over time as I see need. For now everything I'm doing is easily undone and or upgraded into new configurations with time.

I'm pulling this with an '08 Tundra, so I have some storage space in the tow vehicle as well. Between the truck, and this trailer (which has more bed space than my Tundra) I've got more than enough room to play with and see how things work out.

I'll post more photos as I get things set up.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
The 1101 and 1102's are such incredible trailers! I have one and it's my favorite military trailer. Great platform to build on.

One thing you mentioned that I will caution you about is the need for a spare. Runflats are not an acceptable alternative to a spare!

Unfortunately, the H1 tire/wheel that comes on it weighs about as much as a full grown man! About 165lbs I believe? Don't recall exactly, but it's not manageable without a friend or a winch.

You can get a light 16.5" rim (can't remember what model mine is) and some take off 37's on CL or eBay. It is a manageable sized spare.

Also, curious if you will be running the recommended air pressure of 17lbs in your tires?

Good luck with the build. You have a great trailer to start with.

JPShooter

Adventurer
One thing you mentioned that I will caution you about is the need for a spare. Runflats are not an acceptable alternative to a spare!

Also, curious if you will be running the recommended air pressure of 17lbs in your tires?

I am wondering why you feel that these runflats are not acceptable for spareless running?

Not arguing, just trying to get educated.

As to the pressure, I did not know that 17 was the recommended. They had about 11 in each when I got it, and I decided to try 20 (just a guess looking at the volume of the tire) and they seem to run well at that pressure. I'll try dropping it to 17 and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the input!

Taylor1982

There are digital manuals out there for the M1101/2 trailers.... I too thought the same, why would I need to change it up if they are run flats. Don't quote me on this, but as I read and understood it, it was only able to run 40 miles on one flat or 20 on two.... Or something of that nature. That with the fact they weigh a ton swayed me to switch, which I'm in the process of doing.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I thought they were 30 mile runflats, but even at that I would imagine that should be enough to get me to where I can deal with the situation. Of course that all depends........

I wonder if that mileage claim is based on a certain speed as well? And is that based on the max load capacity of the tire, or something less?

JPShooter

Adventurer
Found the online manual (TM 9-2330-392-14&P). Runflat speed is 30mph for one flat and 20mph for two flats. 30 Miles. Nothing mentioned reference load, so I would assume that's predicated on max trailer weight.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Update

Got my two 11 pound propane bottles mounted. They fit just perfect behind the wheel wells. I was wondering what I would do with such an odd space. Solved!

They also sit just about perfectly flush with the top edge of the trailer bed.

I've also done a dry (wet) run with the Ecotemp L5. I hooked the hose up from my yard spigot that feeds directly from my well. It's 200' deep, so the water coming out is very, very cold. Haven't measured the temp. but it's like drinking ice water.

The Ecotemp was able to provide a constant output at max flow with water more than warm enough to shower (of course that may be subjective). For me, the temperature was at the upper limit of what I like to shower in. My wife however likes a very hot shower, and I'm sure that at full flow from icy water that she would prefer warmer, but it would suffice for a camp shower.

Of course one just need to back down on the flow control to get warmer water. There's also the option of using a collection vessel/tank to re-circulate the water to raise the temp. Whatever you chose to do I think this heater would easily supply your needs. I was impressed with the accessories that came with the Ecotemp. A nice shower head, ample connection hardware options for the water line in, as well as a propane tank hose with regulator.

The only downside I see with this (other than potential for mechanical failure) is the waste of water that is inevitable with this type of setup. There's a very short period of flow before the hot reached the shower head. And when you stop the flow for soaping up, the water in the coils will continue to heat even though the flame shuts off automatically when flow is interrupted. So when you start it back up you need to wait for the water that is in the coils to pass out the shower head, since if you just start spraying yourself you will get this portion of water that sat getting hotter in the coils and could get scalded. Of course, if your lathering takes a while then the temp will drop with time and you may be just fine. I've not used it for actual showering yet, so I don't know how long a pause will be required to avoid a "hot spot" in the line. OAT will change that dynamic.

I am working on a hanging system for the heater. I'll post pics when I have the setup figured out.

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
The purpose of a run flat was to get out of harms way so you could address the issue in a safer place. Nobody promised the tire would be salvageable when you got there!

It's no sustitute for a spare because you run the risk of damaging your tire running it for any extended length of time on a runflat. Especially off-road.

Yes, you can run it a little bit, but if/when the tire separates from the rim, damage can come quicker.

Eventually you are going to have to deal with the issue that you have a flat. It's best to deal with it as soon as is practical.

Have you priced what a new 37" tire costs? Ouch! Yes, I know you can find Gov auction take offs, on the net, but not in small town USA after you trashed yours running on a run flat for 30 miles.

Your rim is 16.5". Very hard to find any tire for a 16.5" rim in small town USA.

Nobody said you had to get a 37" spare. (Well, maybe I said something like that earlier, but that's just me and my trailer.) A take-off from a ford or Chevy 8 lug on a 16" rim will work as a spare. And it's manageable!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Oh, the letters TP 17 over your wheel well is for "tire pressure 17 psi". It looks like you painted over it in the last picture. But you can see it in the first pics.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Will you be installing an inverter? Or just keepin it real with whatever you can run on 12v?

Did you address the trailer lights and I missed it? I am in a quandary on what to do with mine. Install a separate set of 12v lighting and keep the military 24v system, or swap out bulbs and rewire it for standard civilian plug.

Keep up the good work!

JPShooter

Adventurer
The purpose of a run flat was to get out of harms way so you could address the issue in a safer place. Nobody promised the tire would be salvageable when you got there!

It's no sustitute for a spare because you run the risk of damaging your tire running it for any extended length of time on a runflat. Especially off-road.

Yes, you can run it a little bit, but if/when the tire separates from the rim, damage can come quicker.

Eventually you are going to have to deal with the issue that you have a flat. It's best to deal with it as soon as is practical.

Have you priced what a new 37" tire costs? Ouch! Yes, I know you can find Gov auction take offs, on the net, but not in small town USA after you trashed yours running on a run flat for 30 miles.

Your rim is 16.5". Very hard to find any tire for a 16.5" rim in small town USA.

Nobody said you had to get a 37" spare. (Well, maybe I said something like that earlier, but that's just me and my trailer.) A take-off from a ford or Chevy 8 lug on a 16" rim will work as a spare. And it's manageable!

You make some very good points! Thanks for the input :)

I guess I should look into a smaller tire that will suffice for and interim with just a cheap rim.

Of course, I will never have a flat if I do!

JPShooter

Adventurer
Oh, the letters TP 17 over your wheel well is for "tire pressure 17 psi". It looks like you painted over it in the last picture. But you can see it in the first pics.

Yes, I painted over it. And I didn't even realize what it was until you mentioned it!

I found that the Rust-oleum Camo paint in the color "Sand" is a very good match for the trailer. I bought about ten cans. Painted the rack I fabricated with it and have touched up the exterior with it. The rest are in reserve for all future touch up needs.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I have an ArkPak 730 on the way as well as a VMAX AGM battery (1125 AH). I plan on mounting that in an aluminum truck box located in the bed of the trailer at the front.

It has a 300W inverter built in.

It's not as elegant as a home built power box with all the custom bells and whistles, but it's fast and easy and will get me on the road so I can see what I like and don't like about it. It's also something that I can move easily from the trailer to my truck or my 4Runner if I desire. If in the future I want to build custom for the trailer I'm sure I can find a good use for the ArkPak or easily sell it.

I also broke down and ordered a 63 QT. ARB fridge. I thought I would just go coolers and ice, but once I started taking inventory of my coolers I realized that what I have is the standard "day at the lake" quality coolers and nothing like a Yeti or similar quality. For extended stays the cheap stuff would be less than adequate.

Cry once is a motto I usually go by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke