LR3 Tire Decision Time

JC in BC

Thanks for the story HuskyFargo, I agree for normal snowy driving, decent snowflake tires are sufficient and fitted to the LR3, more capable than many. But for my snowy back roads access, logging road inclines and declines, often with previous traffic icing the road surface nicely I think I've decided that chains are a key tool to have available. Studded tires was also mentioned, but in snowless Vancouver they are not legal, despite being surrounded by snowy mountains.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Best snow and off-road performance I have seen is with duratracs. I run 275/65/18 LT, amazing at everything I throw at them. Had them on my 98 Disco and they were incredible on that truck as well.

jaamrode

My concern with chains would be the clearance between the sidewalk and the knuckle with the 265 width. I have 285/60s and there is less than a half inch clearance there so a 265 would put you somewhere around 3/4". Pretty tight for chains I would think.

morrisdl

Adventurer
2nd the duratracs 275/65/18 LT recommendation. On my 2nd set. Probably will get a 3rd. A 50% worn one will fit under the truck. LR3 runs standard height (no lift) most days no rubbing. Good at everything, but staying quiet. 1st half of the tread wear is good, but the 2nd half growls. These have >40K miles and powdered though the mud upto the wheel arches.

mVki6S0ji2b6Tt--95dXp4T_zDzdSKMXUhupt72XS0QABwhUTp6BfxMUAFpv2zeuQ3bxn6eWE87lVi-_vFC1x7IU7749xW2QbdVl6SC69A-1nPVSdU_myeIXKH726DUn6hu5GHStXS6mmxZBfqweWR8fAKhfQYGB8ogoXg8pbbyN_Hsjp2nf1gVHxEYqARGRChWSIuSjUdc6WbiiXeySUSKcHV-QQVIZtHklYmzuWbDe3Z88VR3uOpP49JYuDgFzC-OqCi5zckay5hLlFXuBnYr_21ZcWqXmnBPiLsCfOwUIeEqJR5oBwuMjEFQzFBD85i73z2me-t0ZnUjA1kGHQiQS1rpTY95yJty3GEG-RMp47mS6yns2yi7ny2pyhAC3yk6IwYXrPrS3hF0RaXBdAm1YB3WR-CrZynCwuW8YNHi3xgBxq8d-B4fmE_T9_04vBjQFJ1xvtDW22eU5JC4xBLmO4f4F_vwy0AyJbKX_znWLeed6l8d3pZW6W442ub81oY8sO6eYio8KQ16GbxNh4GjuxtYFH9hBQGNfRWTL0bXP4nVEYALMa9pRVkSrldXQDVg_oS94TsdJ1D-owqQHs38PjhpVn5MD=w814-h799-no-tmp.jpg

jarrodmcmillian

If you're looking for decent A/Ts, look at the Nitto Terragrappler. I have a set of 265/65R18s on my LR3 and love them. No road noise, haven't noticed a drop in fuel mileage compared to stock tires and no rubbing. I live in AZ, so I can't comment on snow, but in the rain they perform great! Plus, they come with a 50k mile warranty, but that seems the norm of most major manufacturers these days. When it comes down to it, pick the tread pattern and price you like best and get them, they will all get you where you're going.

eloist

Adventurer
I was amazed with my Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure Kevlar this weekend on our trip to the smokies.
They came on the truck and I was convinced I needed K02's. Not anymore. I'm going to run these until they are toast, then I'll think about K02's.
These tires did great on mud rocks sand and dirt. Really impressed!

JC in BC

So I went with the BFG KO2's in 265/60r18 size, severe snow rated, E load rated and room for Tire Chains which I deemed an important requirement for my snow-seeking advenutures/lifestyle. Not much support (or cell service) up the British Columbia backroads so the tire chains will add a bit of piece of mind should things ice over or a snow dump arrives we'll we're out enjoying the slopes.

Thanks all for your input, learned a lot. Also ordered the IID tool and looking at air compressors, shovel and a few other safety items. Will be sure to share some of our adventures this winter with the group here.

So I went with the BFG KO2's in 265/60r18 size, severe snow rated, E load rated and room for Tire Chains which I deemed an important requirement for my snow-seeking advenutures/lifestyle. Not much support (or cell service) up the British Columbia backroads so the tire chains will add a bit of piece of mind should things ice over or a snow dump arrives we'll we're out enjoying the slopes.

Thanks all for your input, learned a lot. Also ordered the IID tool and looking at air compressors, shovel and a few other safety items. Will be sure to share some of our adventures this winter with the group here.

Congrats, don't forget to send us some picts of your set up with the chains (type) and usage reviews! Sooner or later I may end up back in SoCal and might need to have chains for those mainland journeys to the mountains. Always good to have in the recovery kit, than have not!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Sooner or later I may end up back in SoCal and might need to have chains for those mainland journeys to the mountains.
Last winter in Tahoe there were quite a few big storms. With the right tires we never had any issues at reasonable speeds, you may get away with no chains, but good to have regardless ;). I recall being the first down the highway they kept closing every 10 minutes due to crashes... we didn't need chains. For the rest of the club here that did off-road in snow, chains helped...

Give us a holler when you do go "continental" :ylsmoke:

colb45

Observer

Just be careful not to lose momentum, my only words of wisdom if you are trekking through deep snow. Also bring more than one shovel so all occupants can enjoy digging lol!!

Also what chains did you end up going with?

zelatore

Explorer
I'm late to this discussion as I was actually up in the OP's neck of the woods cruising a bit. Spent 2 nights on the dock in Vancouver actually.

RE: BFG mud terrains - forget it. A, I don't think they are even available in the sizes you need and B, they are crap on snowy roads as are most MTs. Plus they're going to be louder and heavier. I run an MT tire on my LR3 (STT Pro, 275/70-18) and I don't recommend it for a daily driver at all.

RE: KO2 vs KO vs Duratrac - my last tires were Duratracs (275/65-18) and they were worlds better than the KO or KM in snow. I was able to walk around otherwise similar trucks using those tires in the snow when they were struggling. The new KO2 is reported to be much better in the snow, so hopefully that has been resolved.

RE: chains - With the 275, there was NO WAY you would run a chain as there was about 1/4" clearance between the upper ball joint and the sidewall. Keep in mind the amount of room varies slightly with the amount of articulation and the angle of the wheel, so measure CAREFULLY before running chains even with the 265. There's a reason the the factory chain setup has those funky 'clamp on' chains that don't actually go around the inner sidewall at all, and that's with the stock 255 tire. It's just tight in there.

PWCAN

How big a hit did you take on gas mileage and performance over stock ? Heavy *** tire.. Also balancing ? Do you still have them and are you still with them ?

colb45

Observer
How big a hit did you take on gas mileage and performance over stock ? Heavy *** tire.. Also balancing ? Do you still have them and are you still with them ?

I found my stock tires were garbage and created a ton of road noise, with Tires and a voyager rack i get 14.5-15L/100, figure a 2-2.5L increase of fuel consumption, small in the grand scheme of things. Zero regrets

I'm officially in SoCal now and getting settled in. Its been a while since I posted on the thread but wanted to chime in.

I'm running the BFG KM2 (MT) and love them for all purposes. Road noise is not bad because all I hear is my awning and roof-rack! hahahaha!

Regardless, they are not that bad. I had a great deal of experience with BFG AT and Nitto AT in the snow and was not impressed so I can only assume my MT will not be too much worse if anything.

Anyway, I do not see a lot of mud here just yet but have about 500 or so miles on them in the straight desert, rocky environments around the Chocolate Mountains and dunes in Glamis and they are fantastic. I can't say how happy I have to have made the 17" wheel transition and be able to air down to optimum off-road tire pressures. The traction is fabulous, and a 10ply tire is a premium for our weight of a vehicle even though they are heavy.

On the road, with all the crap hanging off Victory, the last two tanks have given me an average MPG of 14.7mpg which is pretty darn good IMO. Mostly highway and low-speed driving but that's about the extent of her life these days on the way to the trails.

Off-road, MPG sucks as most of you know; super heavy to Yuma a few months ago I was getting about 10mpg over the mountains and about 12mpg flat on the freeway at 65 or so. On the trails with the low-range box engaged and many times not, I average about 8mpg, but the traction is "knock your socks off" amazing.

My next pick is going to be for extended range tank to stuff under the spare well.

Happy Rovering my friends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles