LR3 Tire Decision Time

JC in BC

Hey all, new to the forum. Have been searching the threads and have found some bits and pieces of what I'm looking for, but need to post some more pointed questions for you to weigh in on.

About me and my intended uses: I live in Vancouver, Canada, surrounded by the Coast and Cascade mountain ranges which I frequently explore in summer (backpacking/camping) and winter (backcountry skiing). My LR3 is meant to access trailheads and places of interest at the end of active and de-activated logging roads. Lots of cross ditches, some streams and washouts, generally at a moderate to high incline, gaining elevator with every switchback. Loose gravel/small rocks in summer and slick, not deep mud/packed snow/ice or deep snow in winter. I anticipate my greatest traction needs would be early season skiing on some slick snowy/icy roads that have been packed down from previous traffic.

So being new to the LR3 and At tires in general, the BFG KO2 stand out as well reviewed, aggressive, severe snow rated and durable. They are also available in 2 popular sizes at my local Costco at a great price when considering the currency exchange.

So it comes down to 265/60-18 or 265/65-18, the former being close to stock, quarter inch of lift, no rub. The latter having about 3/4" lift, minor rubbing and in sure marginally poorer fuel economy and ride quality in road. Both have sufficient E / load ratings, same width etc.

Few questions - what is your opinion on needing tire chains with these tires? I'm concerned that if I go 265/65-18 I will forgo the option for chains, though I'm not so certain I'd really be in need of them with these tires, perhaps they get me a little higher on some roads in winter, but how much higher? Probably not enough to warrant purchase of chains and time to deploy them in thinking.

265/65-18 has more sidewall, which allows for safer airing down. Though again not sure how much airing down I'll really need in summer or winter for my purposes, this truck will not be a rock crawler, but snowy off-road driver for sure.

It seems many call out 265/65-18 as the best/max tire size without any mods and only the slightest of rubbing. Is there any reason I should choose the 265/60-18's over the 65's?

What about spares? I guess I have to buy 5 either way, can either size be shoehorned into the spare underside? I believe I'd need another rim too as my current spare is not full-size.

Do I really need a full-size spare for my purposes? I don't suppose the small spare I have now can be used to limp down a road back to a service station once I make any tire size changes?

I'll add I've got the 4l v6, not sure if slightly less power is a consideration. Also I don't put a lot miles on my car, transit to work, bike for groceries etc. So probably 50/50 city and hwy vs mountain explorations and probably only about 10k miles a year.

Thus concludes my many questions, thanks in advance for weighing in.

Oh, while I'm at it, any other accessories I should be considering? Some access would be solo. Perhaps some winch straps? And thoughts on the iidtool vs nanocom? Are these CPUs a no-brainer or do many find them unnecessary, particularly for my purposes above?

Edit: I've read that pre-2008 Lr3 had a bit more tire clearance than post 2008 and LR4? Any truth to this? Helps en qualify some of the other threads to my respective example, thanks.

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
Hi, I hope you enjoy your LR3 as much as we have. I live in AZ, so can't answer about tire chains :)
Can't go wrong with the BFG ATKO 2's. (Hint, my Costco gave me the $70 Bridgestone coupon on these tires.)
You can fit the 265/65/18 full size underneath, but "shoe horn" is a good description.
spare-tire.jpg
IID Tool is also really good idea.

lwg

Not sure if they come in your size but I'm a big fan of the Toyo tires over BFG. With the BFG AT's I've seen more than a few tread punctures due to them not clearing sharp rocks out.

Sent from my Toaster

krick3tt

Adventurer
My LR3 sits on 255/55 Duratrak 19's so I guess my thoughts are not going to do you much good. Full size spare and additional spare on a Tactical 4X swing away tire carrier.
I like these tires.

Welcome to the tire decision club. Check this thread out and I think it will help you make the right choice on your needs. Might refresh this thread too with your new questions on the chains. Not that creating a new discussion is bad, I would just recommend putting it in a known thread with all kinds of known information which already exists.

Welcome to the party........Rover on my friend! :smiley_drive:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/123182-LR3-owners-sound-off-which-tires

cornfarmer

Observer
FWIW, I just bought a set of 265/60-18's last month and there have been zero problems, but then again I don't foresee ever needing chains, even if I was going up to Tahoe in the middle of winter.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10's. Treads seem aggressive enough (for me) while still being quiet on pavement.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
FWIW, I just bought a set of 265/60-18's last month and there have been zero problems, but then again I don't foresee ever needing chains, even if I was going up to Tahoe in the middle of winter.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10's. Treads seem aggressive enough (for me) while still being quiet on pavement.

That size is a good one, I have had the Toyo AT2's in 265/60 for the last year or so. Did great in tahoe snow especially when they were closing the highway out of truckee last winter because of the few freak blizzards.

Only downside to the 60 vs 65 is ~13?% less sidewall, not good to air down, they really flatten out fast.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Hi, I hope you enjoy your LR3 as much as we have. I live in AZ, so can't answer about tire chains :)
Can't go wrong with the BFG ATKO 2's. (Hint, my Costco gave me the $70 Bridgestone coupon on these tires.)
You can fit the 265/65/18 full size underneath, but "shoe horn" is a good description.
View attachment 359993
IID Tool is also really good idea.

What PSI will it fit under? Do you have to deflate it a bit?

TMR

Hey all, new to the forum. Have been searching the threads and have found some bits and pieces of what I'm looking for, but need to post some more pointed questions for you to weigh in on.

About me and my intended uses: I live in Vancouver, Canada, surrounded by the Coast and Cascade mountain ranges which I frequently explore in summer (backpacking/camping) and winter (backcountry skiing). My LR3 is meant to access trailheads and places of interest at the end of active and de-activated logging roads. Lots of cross ditches, some streams and washouts, generally at a moderate to high incline, gaining elevator with every switchback. Loose gravel/small rocks in summer and slick, not deep mud/packed snow/ice or deep snow in winter. I anticipate my greatest traction needs would be early season skiing on some slick snowy/icy roads that have been packed down from previous traffic.

So being new to the LR3 and At tires in general, the BFG KO2 stand out as well reviewed, aggressive, severe snow rated and durable. They are also available in 2 popular sizes at my local Costco at a great price when considering the currency exchange.

So it comes down to 265/60-18 or 265/65-18, the former being close to stock, quarter inch of lift, no rub. The latter having about 3/4" lift, minor rubbing and in sure marginally poorer fuel economy and ride quality in road. Both have sufficient E / load ratings, same width etc.

Few questions - what is your opinion on needing tire chains with these tires? I'm concerned that if I go 265/65-18 I will forgo the option for chains, though I'm not so certain I'd really be in need of them with these tires, perhaps they get me a little higher on some roads in winter, but how much higher? Probably not enough to warrant purchase of chains and time to deploy them in thinking.

265/65-18 has more sidewall, which allows for safer airing down. Though again not sure how much airing down I'll really need in summer or winter for my purposes, this truck will not be a rock crawler, but snowy off-road driver for sure.

It seems many call out 265/65-18 as the best/max tire size without any mods and only the slightest of rubbing. Is there any reason I should choose the 265/60-18's over the 65's?

What about spares? I guess I have to buy 5 either way, can either size be shoehorned into the spare underside? I believe I'd need another rim too as my current spare is not full-size.

Do I really need a full-size spare for my purposes? I don't suppose the small spare I have now can be used to limp down a road back to a service station once I make any tire size changes?

I'll add I've got the 4l v6, not sure if slightly less power is a consideration. Also I don't put a lot miles on my car, transit to work, bike for groceries etc. So probably 50/50 city and hwy vs mountain explorations and probably only about 10k miles a year.

Thus concludes my many questions, thanks in advance for weighing in.

Oh, while I'm at it, any other accessories I should be considering? Some access would be solo. Perhaps some winch straps? And thoughts on the iidtool vs nanocom? Are these CPUs a no-brainer or do many find them unnecessary, particularly for my purposes above?

Edit: I've read that pre-2008 Lr3 had a bit more tire clearance than post 2008 and LR4? Any truth to this? Helps en qualify some of the other threads to my respective example, thanks.

Weird, I am also 'JC', hail from BC, and am wanting to ask the same question as I just picked up an LR3 and would like to do similar stuff. Also looking at the Cooper AT3 since I tend to do lots of road trips as well. Any other tire suggestions? I'll most likely be going 265/60/18 or 265/65/18 so as to avoid rubbing if the EAS eats crow in the backcountry.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Weird, I am also 'JC', hail from BC, and am wanting to ask the same question as I just picked up an LR3 and would like to do similar stuff. Also looking at the Cooper AT3 since I tend to do lots of road trips as well. Any other tire suggestions? I'll most likely be going 265/60/18 or 265/65/18 so as to avoid rubbing if the EAS eats crow in the backcountry.

265/65/r18 seems to be really liked as the best compromise on size and capability.

265/60/r18 is what I fitted a year ago, very good size for fuel economy (though I suspect because of the load rating mine could do better) but you can't air down as well with ~13?% less sidewall. E rating is a must if you go for the shorter size... D rating means you can barely run 42 PSI, and they always look a little low on air because of the vehicle weight. Besides that I haven't had any issues, almost 20k on them. Will go to 265/65 next time. I have the Toyo AT2's now, will try BFG K02 next. I hear good things about the Cooper though.

JC in BC

Cool, thanks for your replies. But I'm still going back and forth on this.

DVD your picture is worth a thousand words (also wanting to know PSI?).And thanks for that thread link Victory.

Cornfarmer, you're probably right about not needing chains mostly, but when you need them.

TMR, you don't say, where in BC? i'm in East Van. BFG KO2 being severe snow rated and in the right sizes (and available at Costco) has my narrowed focus, I considered many others, but the BFG's ticked the boxes (both sizes are also E load rated, Disco). By the sounds of it the Cooper's are not as competent in the snow (search on this forum: AT3 in snow)
i'm discovering that driving on snow and snow-wheeling are two very different animals, and yet I'm looking for a balance of both, so compromises. Like I stated, the most arduous driving for my LR3 will be early and late ski season access via logging roads. Same logging roads in summer will be a breeze by comparison. I'll get the IID tool for suspension height flexibility. But I think forgoing the option for chains (which 265/65r18 surely does) may be a mistake. Airing down is helpful, but I can still air down (less) in the 60, though i need to find out if I can indeed fit chains on the 60 option... Otherwise 65 all the way (because it fits is bigger and the only real downside is fuel economy and +$10/tire at Costco;)

Do you guys really air down much or often on normal-ish roads/trails. i feel like 2-wheel chains would be faster than 4 wheel airing down and back up. i lose all .5 inch 60 vs 65... Decisions, decisions.

And then of course, reality. Driving on snow in spring is different than winter. And for ski access most of it is snowed in once winter begins in earnest, I cannot turn my LR3 into a snowmobile (or so i believe). But I CAN think of at least a few hut trips last winter where access may not have worked out had chains not been available.

Edit: Super Z6 tire chains only nee 6mm (1/4") of clearance ($90 on Amazon). I would only used them in raised offroad mode and not likely any full compressions, certainly slow speeds (below 15mph). Do you think I can have my cake and eat it too? 265/65/18 with low profile chains in the trunk? I think I may. Or again, do I play it safe with very capable KO2's in 265/60/18, the tires weigh 1lb less, are $10/per less and offer .5 inches less clearance, kinda splitting hairs?? Any final thoughts?

Attachments

• 480960_10100142831393261_1521390069_n.jpg
    480960_10100142831393261_1521390069_n.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 37

MLu

Adventurer
I hate it when people do this, but sometimes you just gotta be 'that guy'... have you considered going with the BFG Mud Terrain instead of the AT? I drive a cheap knock-off tyre that's a copy of the old BFG M/T year-round, and it's leaps and bounds better in snowy conditions than the BFG A/T. It was a while since I drove the A/Ts, but the impression was pretty clear. You drive fairly low milages and a lot off the tarmac, so I don't think an M/T would be unwarranted. Of course, actual winter tyres are always going to be better on anything icy, but for my use an M/T is an excellent allrounder.

As a note, if you're not hugely concerned with going on really, really poor tracks or over rocks then losing half an inch of ground clearance and gaining a lot more traction (chains / aggressive tyre) shouldn't be much of an issue. The Discovery 3 is stupidly capable either way, so I think you'll end up a happy camper any which way.

JC in BC

MLu, you just couldn't help yourself, so THAT guy of you. Kidding of course, MT tires are a good suggestion I hadn't put much thought into. I will say that some hwy distances I travel before getting to the snowy roads for ski access (more toughest, but not only use case for the LR3) can be long and wintery, I tended to think MT's may not be so hot here. But as you say, may not be a horrible tradeoff. The bigger issue it would seem is finding an MT tire on an 18" rim that will fit in the wheel well? They all seem to big when I do my initial search, nothing in the 265/60r18 or 265/65r18 size at least at first glance.

LR3 being called "stupidly capable" makes me smile, but I tend to think in winter I'll be pushing this big heavy truck to its traction limits (snowy, icy, rutted roads on an incline/decline). Hence the rated winter tire and tire chains considerations... But I'm lacking experience to know if this is truly overkill.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I hate it when people do this, but sometimes you just gotta be 'that guy'... have you considered going with the BFG Mud Terrain instead of the AT? I drive a cheap knock-off tyre that's a copy of the old BFG M/T year-round, and it's leaps and bounds better in snowy conditions than the BFG A/T. It was a while since I drove the A/Ts, but the impression was pretty clear. You drive fairly low milages and a lot off the tarmac, so I don't think an M/T would be unwarranted. Of course, actual winter tyres are always going to be better on anything icy, but for my use an M/T is an excellent allrounder.

As a note, if you're not hugely concerned with going on really, really poor tracks or over rocks then losing half an inch of ground clearance and gaining a lot more traction (chains / aggressive tyre) shouldn't be much of an issue. The Discovery 3 is stupidly capable either way, so I think you'll end up a happy camper any which way.

The new version of the T/A (K02) supposedly solved the issues with wet and snowy performance. If he had to choose between their old version, and the MT, I would support the MT recommendation. However you could just go Toyo or cooper instead. IMO Mud tires are too loud and are too rarely used in mud. To each his own however.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I've been running the Goodyear Wrangler AT's w/ kevlar for nearly 3 years. The computer system on the LR3 is more than capable of getting you out of a jam with just a little bit of patience and a decent amount of tread.

Last November, I took a group of guys up to South Dakota for a Pheasant hunting trip. Around Sioux Falls, we ran into a "snow storm" which was expected to dump about 3"... no problem. Before we knew it, 3" turned into 18". We kept on track, but when carefully passing an 18-wheeler, we ended up getting sucked into the median. My buddies quickly began to prepare for a shoveled extraction, but when I put the LR3 in snow mode, we simply crawled back onto the highway and continued on our way.
Once we got to our hunting spot, the guides were continually amazed by the capabilities of the rover (and the Air Force guys inside), and they kept sending us through fields to the most difficult spots. We traversed through some of the greasiest mud and snow I've ever seen without any problems at all. After all that, we traveled another 1100 miles back home, and I've had the tires another several thousand miles without any problems.

...the moral of the story... the LR3 is far more capable than man people give credit. No matter what tires you choose, you'll be impressed!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles