Leibbrand's 06 DC Limited Tundra Build

BattleCat

Wrapped in satin black. The wrap turned out awesome.

I also want to know if you wrapped it yourself or if you got it done professionally, how much it cost? I'm taking delivery of my AT Habitat in January and was thinking about a wrap on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Took the 3rd gen to death valley and joshua tree, saw the usual stuff, badwater basin , race track, old mines, petroglyphs and whatnot. We took a number of roads, Saline Valley, Titus Canyon, Steel Pass, etc.Steel Pass from Saline to Eureka was straightforward.

Comments on Death Valley
  • Titus Canyon - worth driving through if coming in from the east. Its a 2WD road, but passes some nice scenes (think valley of the gods Utah), a few petroglyphs, and an old mine site are on the way to a canyon. Its one way so its East to West. You can hike into the canyon from the other side.
  • Racetrack - Heavy washboarded and lots of inexperienced drivers (e.g. not slowing down near traffic to limit gravel kickup)
  • Saline Valley to Eureka - We left from Lone Pine, the road was heavily washboarded, some patchy icey sections, but this was an easy trail this direction. I put it in 4WD for one 10' section where someone dug a hole near a rock going up the wash on the far side of the springs. Other than that one section, it was high clearance only. Going down the steps left no paint on the rocks with my stock bumpers. I would dedicate more time to Saline Valley had I known before hand. This is a really nice area of the park, not full of tourists. We carried 5 extra gallons, but didnt need it to get to Big Pine.
  • Eureka Dunes, deep sand is deep sand, I had sand over the hood more than once in a couple of heavily rutted sections. Their are a few hidden rocks about 12" wide in therre too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kya

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Worked on the wiring on the vagabond camper today.

Intent was to run 1 wire to the back camper, have the ability for a single off switch for all camper powered items, have a means to switch on/off the added LED strip lights from the tailgate, add a 12V socket, add USB chargers for tablet/phones.

I added a trimmed piece of channel to extend the camper's electrical panel, cut out some holes in the vagabond panel for some ebay switch/socket panels, added a bussman fusebox. I'm happy how it turned out using a with handtools I had. I'm using Deutsch connectors to have the camper and modules I have to be able to disconnect easily.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
The birch plate is finished with a clear marine varnish. It is weather proof, but also will flex a bit without cracking. A kick strip across the back to help keep the edge from wearing. I used 1/2" to save some weight over 3/4 or 5/8". Its attached to the bed via rivnuts in the bed box, and low profile wide head countersunk bolts. The furniture are attached via wood teenuts. This requires placing, marking, and removing each piece. I thought 1/2 was too thin for a simple wood screw install so went with the teenuts. I thought of putting a textured bedliner finish on the plate, but decided I wanted the wood finish. It looks much better and will be easier to clean. The downside is its slicker.

The L track and eye loops are for strapping down anything in the center. I put in a fork mount towards the back as well. What's nice about L track is its easy to move the eye loops around. The eye loops will not interfere with the sides of the boxes and wear the finish. The plastic L track caps were hard to find and were trimmed down.

The tops I covered with black carpet to help not wear the finish as much. We'll have a pup along sometimes. The entire top has a extrusion to retain a nut to put in a removable eye bolt. I'll have a few things on top and want to be able to strap them down. The tops made flat so we can sleep in it without the top up. if needed.

The center is wide enough to walk in, and easily fits a common sized aluminum box for a step stool.

This pretty much finishes out the camper part. It's got a 35L dometic fridge, slide out kitchen with a 6 gal tank and 18" stove. A couple of lockable storage boxes for backpacking gear and whatnot.

Last edited:

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Cut off the bedsides put on rear bumper and arm. I masked them with tape, drew the line, measured three times and used a cutoff wheel on a grinder. I cleaned it up a bit with a worn out 80 flap disc, painted the edge with a very small brush with some anti corrosion paint, and used edge trim for a finished look. The sides will connect behind the rear wheel to the frame. The tube is .0125 dom. Grip tape finishes it off such that I can step on the side supports from the gate and onto the rear tire.

Other work was fixing my water tank in the back, replacing a light that fell down, and adding a breaker to the rear camper from the aux battery.

Last edited:

Leibbrand

Adventurer
So nice. I've always liked the tube bumpers. I wish Brute Force Fab made a hybrid for us!

Thanks man. I would have liked to buy something too!

This turn out really well and I was able to get the winch all the way back. Its hard to tell from picture, but it sticks out a couple inches past OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles