Leibbrand's 06 DC Limited Tundra Build

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Solo Long Travel

Started the install today, spent most of a day on it and made decent progress.

Got the arms out both sides, axles out, UBJs removed and installed into the spindles. Accentrics were a pain on the passenger's side, rear one broke. No real hiccups, the rack center bolt was fun. Going to see if a driveline shop will do the axles, I don't have a press. I ordered OTRs, didn't think about them when ordering the LBJs, but they're on the way along with new rack boots.

32856443323_1252987320_c.jpg

33512992662_0cc98140cd_c.jpg

This doesn't look right...

33672562815_ef6e980775_c.jpg

32829235854_cf04ec8737_c.jpg

Last edited:

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
33150269991_8b27f933fa_c.jpg

33278397895_707b39f8a8_z.jpg

I took and cut down a sequoia rack, probably will mount it up. Debating if I should use the OE cross bars and mount it like a sequoia rack or mount it to the rain gutter and make my own cross bars. I guess I wont likely use the cross bars so maybe just mount it to the gutter. My left side rain gutter was missing, so I have a week to think about it.
32463593703_226bffa2e6_c.jpg
Really curious about how your gonna tackle the roof rack over the Tundra. Im looking to do this myself so let us know the details! Do you have a sunroof as well?

Great looking build let us know how you enjoy the suspension as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Look at them goodies. Looks sweet. Why do you need a press for the axles ?

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Really curious about how your gonna tackle the roof rack over the Tundra. Im looking to do this myself so let us know the details! Do you have a sunroof as well?

yea, I have a sunroof. It limits the usability of the rack. It seems odd the rack on the sequoia isnt in the roof seam. I bought some rivnuts for it, just need to get back to it and pull the headliner. All I did was find the cheapest seq rack, cut off maybe 18" off each end, redrilled the end caps. I'll post what I come up with.

Look at them goodies. Looks sweet. Why do you need a press for the axles ?

I read that it was a pain and you needed a press. Never done it before...
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/extended-axle-install.146312/

rickashay

Explorer
Stoked to see this thing all finished. I'm digging all the blue!

Are you doing spindle and/or coil tower gussets?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
yea, I have a sunroof. It limits the usability of the rack. It seems odd the rack on the sequoia isnt in the roof seam. I bought some rivnuts for it, just need to get back to it and pull the headliner. All I did was find the cheapest seq rack, cut off maybe 18" off each end, redrilled the end caps. I'll post what I come up with.

I read that it was a pain and you needed a press. Never done it before...
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/extended-axle-install.146312/

Really? I have changed boots on them al the time but I only take one side of the cv out with out any press. Figure both sides was the same

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Stoked to see this thing all finished. I'm digging all the blue!

Are you doing spindle and/or coil tower gussets?

I'll admit the fox vs king decision was influenced by the color of the truck. I have a WIY double shear kit for the UCA and a bypass hoop, I'll at least put on the UCA kit. Spindle gussets, wasn't sure on. I read mixed reviews on them.

Really? I have changed boots on them al the time but I only take one side of the cv out with out any press. Figure both sides was the same

I read one end was easy, one end was hard. What boots are you putting on? Toyota wants too much for boot kits, and I have to buy the inner and outer to get the outer.

Called Solo, they did verify I have the LCA from an AC. LBJ on the DC is larger than the AC. They're shipping out the new ones shortly and I'll send these back.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'll admit the fox vs king decision was influenced by the color of the truck. I have a WIY double shear kit for the UCA and a bypass hoop, I'll at least put on the UCA kit. Spindle gussets, wasn't sure on. I read mixed reviews on them.

I read one end was easy, one end was hard. What boots are you putting on? Toyota wants too much for boot kits, and I have to buy the inner and outer to get the outer.

Called Solo, they did verify I have the LCA from an AC. LBJ on the DC is larger than the AC. They're shipping out the new ones shortly and I'll send these back.

Really? Boot kits at Toyota cost me $30 a set. Well that's with my discount lol. I'm sure you can get a set of OEM online for around the same price. I only run OEM boots. Haven't been impressive with any aftermarket ones to last any longer. I'm also doing manual hub conversion soon so it won't really matter. Boots only seem to leak and tear at high speeds.

seanpistol

Explorer
I got the SDHQ boots. My loval CV shop that swapped the joints onto my extended axles said the boots are the same part number as what they order from Toyota.

Sucks on the LCAs.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I've got some info on my CV boot swap in my thread. Grease is messy and the snapring can be a pain but that's it. I put the ORS hi angle orange inner and a new outter on. 20K and no issues.

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm also doing manual hub conversion soon so it won't really matter.

When you do this I'd love to see a write up. I've read a few so far, and the impression I get is the MPG increase is minimal. I was really hoping I could get 20mpg highway with manual hubs and 255/75-17 All-Terrains, but most people are only seeing 17 or so mostly stock.

seanpistol

Explorer
I think a bigger benefit to them is the ability to unlock the hub if you break a CV on the trail. The tradeoff is that the manual Tacoma joint is weaker and has less splines than the ADD Tundra joint.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer

Yes i'm very excited to see how you do this! I'll PM you, I would really appreciate any advice/pictures you have of the process of the roof rack. Thank you.

Gabriel

toyotech

Expedition Leader
When you do this I'd love to see a write up. I've read a few so far, and the impression I get is the MPG increase is minimal. I was really hoping I could get 20mpg highway with manual hubs and 255/75-17 All-Terrains, but most people are only seeing 17 or so mostly stock.

Soon once we figure out the rear spring testing.

I think a bigger benefit to them is the ability to unlock the hub if you break a CV on the trail. The tradeoff is that the manual Tacoma joint is weaker and has less splines than the ADD Tundra joint.

Yeah I read that too but will see. I think the added benefit outweighs the weaker joint. I love the manual hubs on my 1st gen runner and the ability to use 4lo but with 2wd cuz I tow and backing up in Lo is easier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94